How bad is sound leakage of Grados?
Jul 2, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brought my Grado at work today, not an issue at all. At least it does not seem to be audible to my neighboring cubicles (at medium low volumes), plus it also sounds great at low volumes.

Medium low volume = Tomahawk @ 9:00am at low gain.

Good to hear! I didn't think it would be an issue since you listen at low volumes (yay for your ears).

Have fun with your new toy, they are nice phones for certain and they match nicely with that killer little amp as well.

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #17 of 30
If you swivel the cups of Grado SR-60s around so that your ears are against the grills, you will hear them almost as well as if you were wearing them properly (they don't sound nearly as good, though.)

Glad to hear that its working out with the SR225s. I've also found that as long as the volume is kept low, it isn't a problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #18 of 30
Take my advice...Grados are NOT...and NEVER were....intended for use in the office. They leak BIG time! I have the sr 80's and my wife and kids are always complaining about the music when they are watching TV and I'm listening to my phones.

And I don't listen at loud volumes!

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They leak live a sieve.

If you listen at safe/healthy/reasonable volumes (85dbs or less), you most likely will not annoy people around you in the office.

If you listen to them at a volume like the average teen aged iPOD/iBUD user does (IE ear shattering volumes that will make you go deaf within a year or so, ~125+ DBs), then you will annoy the hell out of everyone within 40 or 50 feet of you.

They do leak, but again as everyone has said, if you listen at a reasonable volume, around 85dbs or less than you should be okay. Where I work it is real quiet. I can hear it leaking when I get to my cube, but on the other side of the cube I can kinda hear it, but the other person really has to strain to hear what I'm listening too. They do leak more than the HD650s that I use for sure, but again the listening level that is chosen is key. All I can say is I'm enjoying my Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

I'm going to be buying a Grado from Headroom, and see how it works out at work. They have a 30 day return policy. I think trying it out myself is the best option, since everybody seems have different experiences with Grado headphones. Thanks for the varied opinions guys.
biggrin.gif

Good luck on your headphone purchase. Headroom is the best when it comes to customer service and response. I just brought mine from them and the SR225s are working out great at work. Wish you the best.

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Brought my Grado at work today, not an issue at all. At least it does not seem to be audible to my neighboring cubicles (at medium low volumes), plus it also sounds great at low volumes.

Medium low volume = Tomahawk @ 9:00am at low gain.

Yes, at this moderate volume it should not be a problem. Grados are one of the best at low volumes, so it seems you have a winner setup.

At greater volumes it would be different. Grados are real screamers
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #22 of 30
How are they for bus use?

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #24 of 30
Poor. If you want decent quality playback with that much background noise you either need to raise the volume, and disturb the people around you, or you need some sort of noise cancelling can instead... Wearing grados in a noisy environment is just plain stupid. Get closed cans or some IEMs instead.

I guess it make sense to wear open phones in a noisy environment if you want to hear the noise. But then the quality of your playback will suffer instead...

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are they for bus use?

quite bad actually (just as for use on other public transport, outdoors in larger cities, next to TV's / radios / or even loud conversations, ...) as they do not only leak sound out (minor inconvenience mostly) but they let all sound in as well.

They really offer no isolation whatsoever! To drown out the aforementioned noises, one needs to crank up the volume to definitely unhealthy levels. The absolute only instance I use my SR-60's outdoors is as I take long walks on the beach (nothing like listening to a live concert by Mono, Mogwai, EITS or even 65dos with the waves in the background) and my MS2i have never even been touched by the wind at all (i.e. never been outside unless stored away in their box).

So if your aim is to let everyone 'enjoy' your musical taste on the bus, but don't really care about SQ, go retro and ruin your back carrying a ghettoblaster. If however you want to enjoy a bit of music in such noisy circumstances... do your ears a favor and get some IEMs and keep the grado's for quiet home/office use.

just my humble opinion of course and you are welcome to ruin your hearing if that is your choice

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #26 of 30
For noisy public areas, you are better off with close headphones or earbuds like the PK1 or PK2. IEM's are also a good option, if you don't mind taking them on and off, every time you want to hear something.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #28 of 30
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but with flats you can lower the volume even more and you get a more balanced sound (low volumes with bowls sounds to distant and tinny to me). This is how I listen to my grados at night in bed with my wife sleeping.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #30 of 30
I work in a four person sized cubicle type layout.  I tried my 325's at work with what I thought to be a maximum "safe" listening level, and my co-workers immediately noticed.  They said OMG, how loud are you listening to that?  I explained the open back design and that they do leak music.  However, when I put them down, I can only barely make out what the song actually is.  I think it is blown out of proportion - yes they leak sound, but not as bad as some people might claim. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back