How are the Denon AHD2000s?
Dec 23, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #16 of 34
hey I am using d2000 through zune HD. and it is very competitive with my grado sr225 umamped :D

Quote:
My source will be a Zune HD. I was looking at the Little Dot and I couldn't figure out how that would connect to a Zune? Also, 

Will the 2000 sound unbearable without a proper amp? I don't want to have headphones just lying around for the next few months while I save money to get an amp.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #17 of 34
I listen to the D2000 a lot through my HeadRoom Micro Amp (w/ desktop module), with the source being the HeadRoom Micro DAC.  I really, REALLY had to listen closely to determine where along the frequency spectrum they were recessed.  Something was lacking a bit (a very, very small bit) compared to my K601, HD650, and DT880, so I tried to identify it.  I found it in one small range in what I guess is considered the mid-range.  I think it covered some male vocal range and a some guitar.  I didn't think it was a MAJOR big deal.  I just noticed it because it happened in a range that my other cans cover very well, I guess.  I wrote a bit about it a long time ago, so I don't exactly remember the frequencies impacted.  Compared to the recessed mids of the DT770, the D2000 recessed mids are immaterial, IMO.

The D2000 is a smooth sounding headphone that is pretty comfortable.  They sound good out of all my sources, but I do prefer them amped out of my iPod or iPhone, not straight from the jack.  They are great out of my Marantz CD player's jack and good out of my Onkyo stereo receiver's jack.  They sound really good with the Hornet and really good with the Micro Amp/ Micro DAC combo.  Never really tried them with the PA2v2.  I don't consider them bass monsters, but they do a fine job with the lowest frequencies - lots of impact at the lower end of the bass frequencies for sure.  They are fun to use listening to stuff like Public Enemy and Gorillaz.  I like them with everything, though.

They look pretty, too.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #18 of 34
Man, I haven't had money in my bank account and I won't until tomorrow, and I've been watching them on Amazon and they've been around $225. However, they've been selling out ridiculously fast (3 stores have ran out of their stock in the past week) and now the lowest price is $270 :frowning2:

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #19 of 34
I got my D2000s today, even through my Zune and E5 they sound fantastic. They have plenty of bass for me, I can only imagine how good they will sound through a proper amp.

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 34
Glad that you like them. With a good amp, the bass tightens up and the mids come sightly forward. They sound even more awesome then.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #21 of 34
What is a good amp for the D2000's?

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #22 of 34
I have a D5000 and when i power them with X-Fi HD sound card (the one with an internal headphone amp), I find that the vocals for females tends to fade back and sound softer. I find this irritating. EQ may help but i hate the idea.
Anyone here experience such problem with 2000/d5000 with instruments sounding louder than female vocals in many instances?

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
What is a good amp for the D2000's?

I'm wondering this too. Any suggestions in 250-450 range for an amp/dac combo or pair?

Quote:
I have a D5000 and when i power them with X-Fi HD sound card (the one with an internal headphone amp), I find that the vocals for females tends to fade back and sound softer. I find this irritating. EQ may help but i hate the idea.
Anyone here experience such problem with 2000/d5000 with instruments sounding louder than female vocals in many instances?

Haven't experienced that running my D2000's through an onkyo receiver or a soundblaster card. I've been listening to massive attack, portishead, and my brightest diamond with good success 
smily_headphones1.gif
. YMMV, though....

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #25 of 34

Quote:
several members suggest the e7/e9 combo to amp the d2k's...i'm still considering how "mobile" the e7 will be with an ipod 

I'm currently using the e7 with the d2000 as a dac/laptop and find it to sound good.  As far as mobility with the E7,  The E7 are small, but slightly thick.  In my opinion, the d2000 is not a very mobile headphone in general with its wire being thick, not easily bent, retains memory, and long.  I haven't tried using  it with an LOD yet, but I probable won't.  I think it's just nicer to just plug the d2000 straight into my iphone  4 and listen.  Sure it won't sound as good, but beats fumbling for and amp to connect for quick session of listening.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #26 of 34
Yeah, I wouldn't take the D2000/5000/7000 on the go, unless I'm sitting someplace, like a library.

They are lol-huge.

Also, the Denons are very easy to drive. They sound fantastic off the E7, and even tighter and more controlled on the E9.

They aren't power hungry whatsoever.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #27 of 34
D2Ks are easy to drive phones, IMO for the SQ all the Denon phones are easy to drive. An e7 has plenty of power and will make noticeable improvement over using the Zune alone. My experience is D2K can't really make use of much more power, the difference between the e7 and e9 with them is minimal despite the fact that the e7 is fairly weak and the e9 has gobs of power, so spending extra money on an power full portable amp is mostly a waste. 

Quote:
Quote:
several members suggest the e7/e9 combo to amp the d2k's...i'm still considering how "mobile" the e7 will be with an ipod 

I'm currently using the e7 with the d2000 as a dac/laptop and find it to sound good.  As far as mobility with the E7,  The E7 are small, but slightly thick.  In my opinion, the d2000 is not a very mobile headphone in general with its wire being thick, not easily bent, retains memory, and long.  I haven't tried using  it with an LOD yet, but I probable won't.  I think it's just nicer to just plug the d2000 straight into my iphone  4 and listen.  Sure it won't sound as good, but beats fumbling for and amp to connect for quick session of listening.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #28 of 34
I agree. More power serves to just control more of the bass and bring out the mids a little. If you're happy with the sound off the E7, it won't be a huge diference going to the E9.

But of course, people tend to exaggerate how much an amp works on easy to drive phones, so if you wanna spend a lot more for such headphones, well... whatever.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #29 of 34
MadLustEnvy: I love your new avatar, just awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back