How are DT770's supposed to sound?
Aug 3, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #31 of 39
get an amp maybe??

i can't imagine using a iPod nano (any gen) with a 80ohm headphones.

even the iPhone 4's full volume isn't even loud enough for 50 ohm.

EDIT: found out that you do have an amp, but don't like to EQ, try EQing it. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:
Of all people, I wouldn't of thought you'd be the one to use frequency response range to compare headphones' supposed quality.

I'm saying the Beats use a generic 20-20 speaker that can't even reproduce the real low end. Even if both phones produced the same frequency response, which they don't, why would anyone spend 4 times more on them?

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #35 of 39
First off, he's talking about Beats Pro, which is widely accepted on Head-Fi as significantly better than Beats Studio or Solo, and second, the graph shows only a severe drop-off for 20hz.  Most headphones can't even play 20hz with competence to begin with, and few songs have much music information at 20hz.  Most synthetic bass found in rap and dub-step is around the 40-50hz area, as that's usually the lower limit for most subwoofers.

Once again you're putting too much stock in raw measurements.  The frequency response graphs are a nice little device for quick comparisons, but they aren't the end-all be-all.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #36 of 39
Headphones extend past cutoffs purposely to stay clear of distortion and remain more dynamic sounding. Measurements aside I am saying there is absolutely no room for discussion of such headphones on head-fi when you have the likes of Sony XB500 for $50, Denon 1001 for $100, both of which are cheaper and better sounding. If the beats were around the $50-$100 mark you would still find the same people arguing that there are better phones for the money, but as it is you're paying for marketing, plain and simple.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #37 of 39
Thats weird, my friends DT770 250 ohm has a good bit of bass power and extension, even with a $10 sound card. His Phillips Go Gear MP3 player however is significantly rolled off in the bass. From my personal experience, the bass power compared to beats pro and Bose OE should be around the same. Try a different source like your sound card or a stereo receiver.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #38 of 39
I'm just going to go ahead and buy the Beat Pros. Right now, after my somewhat frustration over not being satisfied with the DT770s makes me want to steer clear of other headphones I don't know anything about. The comfort of knowing what I'll be getting out of Beats just make it easier for me. I don't have the money to go around buying all these and trying to resell them if it still isn't what I'm looking for. I appreciate all the input from all you guys. Maybe once I have enough money I'll try my hand at getting towards the sound you guys hear. But for now, I'll go mainstream and marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back