How are DT770's supposed to sound?
Jul 31, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #16 of 39
I'm having a real hard time discerning the difference between my cheap earphones and the DT770. Can anyone give me some songs to compare them with that should really show a difference?

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #18 of 39
what are your cheap earphones?
i would think there would be a very noticable difference unless something is wrong somewher

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #20 of 39
I'm guessing since you listen to dubstep that you should find a track that is ripped to FLAC or similar. Newer music tends to have been recorded such that they are high fidelity... but since dubstep is produced almost entirely by computer (and hence, isn't as likely to exhibit the same kind of realistic, atmospheric feel as an orchestral performance), you may want to find something that is produced by an artist using "traditional" recording methods like a studio or whatever.

Basically, what I'm saying is, find newer music, recorded after 2000 (usually, the more recent, the better, as in: more likely to be recorded using high fidelity equipment), in >320 kbps if lossy. You'll understand a clear difference if you were to use a 128 kbps MP3 and compare it to the same track using 320 kbps or better. Once you've established that you can clearly hear the difference on the same headphone, compare between headphones and see if you can't pick up finer details or more clarity in the sound production through your DT770 using the Cmoy BB.

You should still hear a difference, although ultimately, unless you have proper amplification for your high-end cans, you'll either barely notice a difference or you'll not hear a difference at all. It may even be possible that you'll hear it worse, as might be the case for when people have a particularly difficult to drive set of headphones (such as your DT770). While the reasons for the same track to sound worse are many and varied, it's a start.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #24 of 39
I don't EQ any of my music, the bass boost feature on the Cmoy just makes the bass really bad so I keep it turned off. I use Winamp for most of my listening. I think I'll stay happy inside Plato's Cave while you guys enjoy life outside of it.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #25 of 39
I wondered if incorrect EQ levels were causing the distortion but with that ruled out they are likely under powered. As I previously mentioned if you want strong bass for the likes of electornica, hip hop etc then Sony XB500 are the way to go on a budget. As far as the hi-fidelity system, you'll get there if you're sill interested when you're earning a decent wage. It took me a number of years to build up a good sounding yet modest system that I'm happy with, enjoy the audio journey.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #26 of 39
Yeah, didn't think getting these headphones to their full potential would end up costing more than simply buying Beats. Thanks for all the input guys. Anyone interested in buying my headphones and amp for $200? Apparently, I can't post in Sell section yet.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #27 of 39
haha.
the fiio E11 is 65 bucks.  at anyrate enjoy the beats but be carefull taking them on and off

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #29 of 39
This concerns me, im planning on getting some DT 770 Pro 80 and sending them to  Larry to headphile to turn them to V3s.. Does anyone how the SQ and more specifically the bass compare to something like the Ultrasone Pro 900s?

Aug 3, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #30 of 39

Quote:
I really liked your Plato's cave analogy. I would never think to see that out of academia.

Here's a thread from which you might benefit. I happened to have posted here and just noticed the similarities. Consider... reconsidering after you've thread the thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/564987/want-to-get-rid-of-beats-and-get-something-new

Hahaha, I was hoping someone would get that. One of my favorite allegories and it makes sense.

Anyway, I found a pair of new Dre Beat Pros on craigslist for $200. I've already looked up what I need to look for to spot a fake so I'll be pretty prepared. He said it was already wrapped in plastic and fakes have really easy to take off plastic. Hopefully that'll let me know. Really excited to get the bass I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back