Houston meet impressions 10/17/2009
Oct 24, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome pics, Gollie! Thanks for doing the "official photography".

P.S. Please send the bill to s1rrah as we discussed.

Now dammit ... hold on a minute ...

wink_face.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #62 of 77
Okay.

I admit it.

I'm taking advantage.

But I probably won't find more Houston head-fie'rs all in one place short of this thread and so I'm gonna prostitute myself a bit.

(It's worth the infractions!)

wink.gif

Anyway ...

Just wanted to give a word out to Ken and Shelly and Jonathon and any other local Houston folks that there is a truly divine show going down this coming Tuesday (Oct. 27) at the Houston House of Blues ...

I'm going for sure! ... And hopefully, I will be videoing for the band (still waiting to hear back from them) ...

But anyway ...

I thought I'd put out a word on the chance that any of you folks might like to accompany me to the show. The band in question, "The Low Anthem" ... is opening the set and so they will most likely be starting around 9pm or so.

If anyone wants to go, please PM me and I'll forward the ticket purchase information. It's 14 dollars, general admission, standing room only. No seats.

Here's a video from the band at Vimeo:

Low Anthem "Charle Darwin" on Vimeo

Wickedly gorgeous low-fi/folk/songwriter styles.

Also, here's some more vids/songs at their homepage online:

THE LOW ANTHEM

Join me Houston folk for some gorgeous sounds this Tuesday, yo!

beerchug.gif

(for ticket purchase, see here: Blind Pilot w/ The Low Anthem at House of Blues Houston Tickets | Tue, October 27)

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #63 of 77
Hey Joel (yes you, the prostitute) - the concert looks super fun and I would be all over it on a weekend. Unfortunately, I just cannot make it - no fun being an adult.
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #64 of 77
Joel, my early mornings don't allow for much weekday evening fun. Hopefully you get to do the video so you can post the vids! Show looks really cool.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #65 of 77
Perchance, did anyone find a small white teflon vibrapod thingy? Still looking at nooks and crannies, but no harm in asking.

tongue_smile.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perchance, did anyone find a small white teflon vibrapod thingy? Still looking at nooks and crannies, but no harm in asking.

It wasn't in the room when I cleaned it Saturday night. So it went somewhere.

I'm not really sure I want to know what a "teflon vibrapod" is used for... you DIY guys have all the fun.

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #67 of 77
Ken: I think I may have snagged your 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. Are you missing one?

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #68 of 77
Actually, I think that adapter came from your Denon D2000's the year before... so we are good.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #69 of 77
As I told Shelly just a bit earlier ...

Even though I command psychic powers of the Nth Order(tm) ... I nevertheless did not use them in my role as the guy drawing tickets Out of the Hat(tm), as it were, during the Door Prize(tm) moments from this most recent Houston Head-fi.org Meet.

Really ... I just groped around (no jokes please) and pulled my own name.

(It was really quite embarrassing ... I'm sure you all remember me turning three shades of red)

Anyway ... I won a pair of Moon Audio "Blue Dragon" RCA IC's ...

But apparently, it seemed that UPS had fewked up the delivery a bit and so I had to wait a bit from the meet date in order to receive the IC's ...

Well, as of today ... (10.30.09) ... I was fortunate enough to receive a package from "Drew" at Moon Audio ... containing a lovely set of 1 foot (maybe a few extra inches more) "Blue Dragon" RCA IC's.

And just a word to Drew and all regarding the somewhat lovely and short length: These are PERFECTLY terminated for my Havana/Raptor combo ... since my DAC and AMP sit near on top of one another ... the uber short length of the Blue Dragon IC's works BRILLIANTLY with my rig!

(I won't admit it often but I'm of the school of thought that believes the shorter the IC the better when dealing with analog signals ... so I commend you on your choice of lengths, whether you knew the end application or not!)

Otherwise .. thanks for following through. It means a lot and I'm loving the sound of this wire in my system!

Rock ON!

bluedragon_1.jpg

beerchug.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #70 of 77
Wow, those look very sweet. We all know you cheated though... cough cough... I meant, used your psychic powers (haha).
biggrin.gif

Let us know how you like them. Drew makes some very nice products! Maybe, when my system is stable, I will have to splurge and get some better interconnects and power cables from Drew (until then I'll have to live with my little Bluejeans and Iron Lung Jelly's).

By the way, I think they are 1.5ft end to end (about 1 ft of cable plus the connectors/heatshrink).

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #71 of 77
Wow, Joel! Those look really stunning. They sure would look good with my matching Blue Dragon headphone cables. Hmmm...

We'll see how you like them over the Audio Arts cables after a few weeks of listening. I'm thinking the synergy of these cables will be good with the Raptor and your Grados.

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

Wow, Joel! Those look really stunning. They sure would look good with my matching Blue Dragon headphone cables. Hmmm...

We'll see how you like them over the Audio Arts cables after a few weeks of listening. I'm thinking the synergy of these cables will be good with the Raptor and your Grados.

I really like them. Don't sound too different from my Audio Arts IC-3 cables, actually ... maybe a bit "fatter" sounding ...

And I love the length so perfect for my little desktop system.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #73 of 77
Quote:

Sennheiser HD600 vs. HD800 comparison

I spent a lot of time with Shelly's HD800's in order to make a buy decision. I have been on the fence for months.

(snip)

The HD800's are better. Yeah, I know that's a pretty controversial position. I'll back it up though. The HD800's are more detailed, cleaner, and have a deeper bass.

This statement has been gnawing at me for a month. I ordered a pair of Grado GS1000i's after the meet, but I had some difficulties with my order and I ended up cancelling it. Maybe a blessing in disguise. I now had a four-digit credit on my MasterCard that was burning a hole in my pocket. $1400 plus cable upgrade no longer seemed like such a monumental jump.

I finally leaped off the fence and bought the HD800's. They will be here on Monday along with a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable.
biggrin.gif

I have spent the past month listening exclusively to my HD600's. After the drug that is the Denon D2000 bass wore off, I have come to realize that I like the accurate but less accentuated bass of the Sennheiser house sound better. But I also want the dramatic soundstage that I heard in the HD800 and is missing from the HD600.

I decided that I would never be satisfied with the HD600 as my primary headphone, even though they are quite good with an upgraded cable. Once you have heard the HD800 and realize how effortlessly it reproduces music, it is impossible to forget the feeling.

I will probably look around for a used pair of Grados now because I would still like to own them. Variety is the spice of life. However, I am hopeful that the HD800 will be my primary phone for a long time.

Now... what about that "balanced" thingie that y'all keep talking about? I'll research that and get back to you.
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really apologize to everyone for not getting these pics up sooner. Its been a crazy week for me.

I had a blast seeing everyone last year. Next time around, i'll be sure to get more candid shots of people enjoying the music.

Its not so much a impressions post but more of a dumbed down version of what head-fi is and how I got into it. My pics are included.

Enjoy!

Houston Headphone Meet - Houston Event Photography

Gollie

I forgot to thank you for the great pics. I finally replaced my damaged Goldring 1042 MM cartridge with a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood MM cartridge.
I am also planning to upgrade my tonearm next year.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back