Houston meet impressions 10/17/2009
Oct 19, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #46 of 77
These meets always cost me money. Since I already have the FOTM phone, I took a flyer and ordered the GS1000i with a Black Dragon from Drew. I really did like Joel's, but of course mine won't have the panty hose so it's hard to say if the re-cable can overcome that deficiency.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #47 of 77
Was the panty hose mod using new or used panty hose? If it requires used panty hose please do not post about the burn in process.
biggrin.gif
Joe Namath might get away with it, but...
tongue.gif

I really like my modded HD580, and plan to keep it around indefinitely.

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #48 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was the panty hose mod using new or used panty hose? If it requires used panty hose please do not post about the burn in process.
biggrin.gif
Joe Namath might get away with it, but...
tongue.gif

I really like my modded HD580, and plan to keep it around indefinitely.

For some reason Steve, I thought you were going to say that he could use a pair of yours if he needed used ones.
wink_face.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #49 of 77
Quote:

Was the panty hose mod using new or used panty hose?

Only s1rrah knows for sure...

P.S. Where's the rest of the impressions and pics??? Come on, people.
biggrin.gif
popcorn.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason Steve, I thought you were going to say that he could use a pair of yours if he needed used ones.
wink_face.gif

Heck no! Have you priced those lately?
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #51 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Heck no! Have you priced those lately?
tongue.gif

You two are baaaad!
popcorn.gif
icon10.gif
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #52 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. Where's the rest of the impressions and pics??? Come on, people.
biggrin.gif
popcorn.gif

For a total newbie the meet was like taking a drink from a fire hose. No amount of reading about equipment can take the place of actually hearing it. Now I understand the compulsion.

Shelly's HD800s were the highpoint for me. I loved their spaciousness and detail. The sound stage was a little bit forward of my head rather than between my ears. I also loved their feel. My head is a little bigger than average so they sat perfectly, with absolutely nothing in contact with my outer ears - just incredibly comfortable.

I tried an electrostatic in the DIY area (Stax?, not really sure) and was very taken with them. They sound really different, extremely crisp, which I liked for the short time I used them. I just don't know whether I'd find them delightful or fatiguing for a long listening session.

The JH-13s didn't impress me, but I think that's just my ignorance. Since I've only used closed cans (AKG K 271-S) I was so taken by my first exposure to the spaciousness of really high end open phones that even the best IEMs couldn't grab my attention.

Of the phones I could actually afford / justify, I liked Ken's HD600s the most, though it was a close call between them and the AKG K 701 - high end detail versus better bass and a bit more warmth. I'd like to own both for different types of music, but if I had to choose it would be the Sennheisers. Maybe I'm just ready for a change from the AKG sound. I was surprised that the HD650s didn't sound anything like the 600s and weren't as appealing to me.

Now I have to learn about tube amps and custom cables, because I'm sure poorly amped stock 600s don't sound anything like Ken's beauties. So many options, so little time and money.

The meet was a no brainer for me since it was 4 miles from my house. Now that I understand what goes on, I would drive a good distance to attend another. Even in a major metropolitan area there is no other way to hear so much high end gear all at once.

Many thanks to Orcin and all the Head-Fi'ers who graciously shared their rigs and knowledge.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #53 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many thanks to Orcin and all the Head-Fi'ers who graciously shared their rigs and knowledge.

It was truly our pleasure! It was great to meet you.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #54 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried an electrostatic in the DIY area (Stax?, not really sure) and was very taken with them. They sound really different, extremely crisp, which I liked for the short time I used them. I just don't know whether I'd find them delightful or fatiguing for a long listening session.

Most likely they were the Sennheiser HE60 or the Stax Omega II.

Quote:

The meet was a no brainer for me since it was 4 miles from my house. Now that I understand what goes on, I would drive a good distance to attend another. Even in a major metropolitan area there is no other way to hear so much high end gear all at once.

We will likely have a Dallas meet in January, or so.

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #55 of 77
I really apologize to everyone for not getting these pics up sooner. Its been a crazy week for me.

I had a blast seeing everyone last year. Next time around, i'll be sure to get more candid shots of people enjoying the music.

Its not so much a impressions post but more of a dumbed down version of what head-fi is and how I got into it. My pics are included.

Enjoy!

Houston Headphone Meet - Houston Event Photography

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #56 of 77
Awesome pics, Gollie! Thanks for doing the "official photography".

P.S. Please send the bill to s1rrah as we discussed.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #57 of 77
Gollie: WOW, my gear never looked so good!

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #59 of 77
Glad to see some beautiful vinyl spinning
k701smile.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #60 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gollie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really apologize to everyone for not getting these pics up sooner. Its been a crazy week for me.

I had a blast seeing everyone last year. Next time around, i'll be sure to get more candid shots of people enjoying the music.

Its not so much a impressions post but more of a dumbed down version of what head-fi is and how I got into it. My pics are included.

Enjoy!

Houston Headphone Meet - Houston Event Photography

nice pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back