Houston meet impressions 10/17/2009
Oct 18, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #31 of 77
Man if i had a car(jacked) i would be there, i think i would be the youngest adult there
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #32 of 77
There were no adults there.

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #34 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There were no adults there.

QFT.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #35 of 77
Just got back to the sandy shores about 20 minutes ago. I stayed in Houston with relatives today.

I had a really good time. It was great meeting up with some of my favorite HFers again, and also really enjoyed meeting and talking to jazzychu and mudgecoffee!

They'll fit right in, both really cool guys!

My highlights as far as equipment were the balanced JH13 out of my balanced β22, and my K1000 out of Shelly's Woo 5 300B amp. The Woo didn't have enough power to drive the K1000 to a good volume without distorting, but it did give me a really good impression of what the K1000/300B combo can accomplish. The bass was crazy insane! Marc and I were both flabbergasted that the K1000 had the ability to produce that much bass. A really nice sweet upper end too. I'm now interested in researching 300B amps as a contrasting amp to my β22.

As Shelly already commented, the JH13 was just jaw dropping out of the β22. How in the heck do those little suckers do that magic? Bass was incredible, but extremely good balance across the board.

I also had fun witnessing Marc turn a distorting, crappy sounding Raven into a sweet, melodic amp in a matter of minutes!

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #36 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also had fun witnessing Marc turn a distorting, crappy sounding Raven into a sweet, melodic amp in a matter of minutes!

44823607.bowdown.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #37 of 77
Looks like you had a fun time hanging out together and with some cool gear. Glad to hear the Raven is making music.

I am a little ortho obsessed so any opinions about Marc's T50 and LCD1?

..dB

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #38 of 77
My highlights as far as equipment were the balanced JH13 out of my balanced β22, and my K1000 out of Shelly's Woo 5 300B amp. The Woo didn't have enough power to drive the K1000 to a good volume without distorting, but it did give me a really good impression of what the K1000/300B combo can accomplish. The bass was crazy insane! Marc and I were both flabbergasted that the K1000 had the ability to produce that much bass. A really nice sweet upper end too. I'm now interested in researching 300B amps as a contrasting amp to my β22.

I went down this road a couple of years ago. Started with the 300B, went to the 845, and wound up with the GM70. Works pretty well with the K1000.

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #39 of 77
I am not very familiar with orthos but I liked the sound of the T50 (although the fit was painful). I wasn't so much a fan of the Audeze though: the highs seems to be a little too piercing to me... maybe just the way Marc likes them though.

Joel's setup with the GS1000, raptor and Havana was very sweet.... I could imagine listening for hours, melting into the music.

I am glad that Marc did his magic and got the Raven singing. I got a chance to listen to the HD800 with the Raven and it sounded very nice indeed! Wish I (we/everyone) would have had more time with it - next time.

I was sad that the BH couldn't make it... but I did get a chance to try out the tube ExStata with the HE60's and it was very nice combo indeed. Makes me want to get a pair of stats and built an ExStata - but then again maybe I should get the SOHA II working before I embark on that journey.
biggrin.gif

I got to try the WA6 SE again (in Ken and Michael's setups) and I still think it is a really super amp. It was great to listen to Michael's super tweaked turntable.

Jonathon's (gollie) MPX3 + HD650 setup sounded very musical! I was very jealous of the Mullard (ECC32?) tube he had. By the way Jonathon, where are those amazing pictures?

Steve's was B22 was great with the K1000 and JH13's! The JH13's were also really nice with my GS-1. I am still on the fence about the JH13's. After listening to the demos again today, I am even more impressed. They really sound correct, have a very clean sound, and have great extension of bass and non-fatiguing highs. I just don't know if I can handle wearing IEMs that long...

I preferred my WA5 LE to the balanced B22 with the HD800 but I am a tube girl so that is expected.

I didn't spend nearly enough time listening to gear as I would have liked .... I suppose that may be because half the time Al's gear wasn't hooked up and everyone knows that I just go there to listen to the HE60 anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

It was great fun meeting all the "new" people and seeing the repeat offenders! I hope everyone comes back next year.... should we mark it on our calendar Ken?

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #40 of 77
I should point out that I do not own the more powerful (I think) Woo Audio WA5 - instead I own the WA5 LE (lite-edition which also has no speaker outputs). I assume that the WA5 will be able to drive the K1000 better. Listening to the K1000 out of the WA5LE makes me wonder whether I should have bought the non-LE version and a pair of K1000's as well. I guess there are always upgrades.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got back to the sandy shores about 20 minutes ago. I stayed in Houston with relatives today.

I had a really good time. It was great meeting up with some of my favorite HFers again, and also really enjoyed meeting and talking to jazzychu and mudgecoffee!

They'll fit right in, both really cool guys!

As Shelly already commented, the JH13 was just jaw dropping out of the β22. How in the heck do those little suckers do that magic? Bass was incredible, but extremely good balance across the board.

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #41 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really wanted to hear the Woo 5 with the hd800, as my 'differential' (aka Balanced) Bijou just does not drive the hd800 like it NEEDS to be driven. Listened a bit to the hd800 with the b22, but, just need the tube sweetness in the middle.

I am starting to see a pattern.... two years in row you didn't listen to my gear....
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #42 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am starting to see a pattern.... two years in row you didn't listen to my gear....
frown.gif

Nah, just angling for a mini-meet...
tongue.gif

Yeah, so what is up with that... maybe the same karma as the person drawing the first door prize winner BEING the winner two years running?

Patterns, indeed.

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #43 of 77
Quote:

I am not very familiar with orthos but I liked the sound of the T50 (although the fit was painful). I wasn't so much a fan of the Audeze though: the highs seems to be a little too piercing to me... maybe just the way Marc likes them though.

Yes, he likes them right on the cusp of boring a hole through your cerebrum, but I've gotten used to them. Mine would be a little cooler on the top end, but I understand what Marc is going for.

Quote:

It was great to listen to Michael's super tweaked turntable.

Ditto, That was a really sweet vinyl rig!

Quote:

! preferred my WA5 LE to the balanced B22 with the HD800 but I am a tube girl so that is expected.

I felt the same. The HD800/β22 sounded really good. It did everything right, but it lacked passion IMO. Your Woo gave them the warmth they lacked with the β22.

Quote:

I should point out that I do not own the more powerful (I think) Woo Audio WA5 - instead I own the WA5 LE (lite-edition which also has no speaker outputs). I assume that the WA5 will be able to drive the K1000 better. Listening to the K1000 out of the WA5LE makes me wonder whether I should have bought the non-LE version and a pair of K1000's as well. I guess there are always upgrades.
biggrin.gif

I was going to note this, but couldn't remember the designations. Also I need to point out that at reasonable volume the WA5LE sounded amazing with the K1000. I have no plans to ever get rid of the β22, as I love it with the K1K, but a nice contrasting amp would be the ultimate setup IMO.

Glad that some of you got to hear the K1000/β22 combo, and liked it. Meets are always a bad way to hear gear, but that's doubly so with the K1000. So to enjoy it in a meet setting would probably be to love it in a home setting. I remember liking the K1000 at meets, but never being overly impressed. That changed when I listened to it at home.

Marc, you owe me a copy of that Chesky sampler, with Rebecca Pidgeon!
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #44 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, so what is up with that... maybe the same karma as the person drawing the first door prize winner BEING the winner two years running?

Oh oh... I sense an audit coming.

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #45 of 77
I forgot to say that I third the HD600 for FOTM. I ended up selling the HD580 when I got the HD800 and sometimes I regret it. Ken's WA6SE and HD600 with Blue Dragon cable sounded fantastic together - really nice synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back