Houston meet impressions 10/17/2009
Nov 18, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #76 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This statement has been gnawing at me for a month. I ordered a pair of Grado GS1000i's after the meet, but I had some difficulties with my order and I ended up cancelling it. Maybe a blessing in disguise. I now had a four-digit credit on my MasterCard that was burning a hole in my pocket. $1400 plus cable upgrade no longer seemed like such a monumental jump.

I finally leaped off the fence and bought the HD800's. They will be here on Monday along with a Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable.
biggrin.gif

I have spent the past month listening exclusively to my HD600's. After the drug that is the Denon D2000 bass wore off, I have come to realize that I like the accurate but less accentuated bass of the Sennheiser house sound better. But I also want the dramatic soundstage that I heard in the HD800 and is missing from the HD600.

I decided that I would never be satisfied with the HD600 as my primary headphone, even though they are quite good with an upgraded cable. Once you have heard the HD800 and realize how effortlessly it reproduces music, it is impossible to forget the feeling.

I will probably look around for a used pair of Grados now because I would still like to own them. Variety is the spice of life. However, I am hopeful that the HD800 will be my primary phone for a long time.

Now... what about that "balanced" thingie that y'all keep talking about? I'll research that and get back to you.
wink.gif

It was great to see everyone again with new faces. I wish I had more time to listen to other members rigs.

So you are not going to use Joel's panty hose mod after all. Are you going to get multiple cables like Shelley? Enjoy the HD800's. I thought they sounded quite good, but I am not sure they are worth the high price.

I have only listened to a few of your records. I was waiting to replace my damaged Goldring 1042MM cartridge. I now have a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood MM cartridge that I picked up on Audiogon for a good price which only has 25 hours on it. So I will have to break in it. I have decided that I will upgrade my tonearm which will require work on my plinth. I hope to be able to start work on it early next year.

I will contact you, after I have had a chance to listen to your LPs with the new cartridge.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back