hotaudio40 's amps
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #511 of 771
I think Dave's last post was deleted. It was up last night.

In it he said he had been warned again that he was violating the rules of the forum because of the nature of his comments. Too commercial, although, I always found his posts helpful and informative. He said that he can post on his forum, but I don't know where that is. Possibly his web site.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #512 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by earplay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just point out that you cannot run a signal through a circuit without changing the signal. A straight wire with gain will alter a signal. The point being that all DAC's affect the signal and the sound. We only approach electronic perfection, more or less, we don't achieve it.
frown.gif

Actually, a straight wire, with or without gain, will alter a signal!

Apr 5, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #515 of 771
So is the HotUSB1 discontinued? I was going to get one for a friend, but I don't see them on the site anymore.
confused.gif

I've been using mine with my thinkpad and a few different phones (sr60i, px100, ad700), and the sound just keeps getting better and better. Lots of clarity, no distortion even at high levels, a really neutral sound, but not "analytical" at all. I love this little thing.
smile_phones.gif
It also works great in linux, I just had to rmmod the laptop's regular drivers and reload snd_usb_audio.

It's too bad if they're not available anymore - what's the best substitute? Maybe I'll upgrade and give my friend mine, although it will be hard to part with this one. I love how portable and durable it is, metal would be a bad choice compared to this high impact cover.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #517 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC Destroyer replaces the HOTUSB1 in Dave's line up.

cool, thanks.

Any reviews of the raging moose/thunderbolt? It seems that ray samuels also has a thunderbolt (II) -- who stole the name from whom?
biggrin.gif
So it's hard to find anything on hotaudio's amp. If this DAC is any indication, I bet those are nice sounding amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #518 of 771
I just wanted to come back and comment here after some ownership/"burn-in" time with my DAC Destroyer... I love it. I dislike when I have to listen to my HP's without it. Sounds great, improves dynamics and output, and it's simple/inexpensive.
smily_headphones1.gif
nG

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #519 of 771
I've been interested in some of Dave's offerings for a while now, but never bit the bullet. Well, I just Fleabay-ed what looks to be a HotUSB1 (captive USB cable, and 1/8" jack) for a low price.

It should give me an idea of what Dave's tastes are, at least, and let me know if I should go further up the line.

Color me interested.
smile.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #520 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by ngsm13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to come back and comment here after some ownership/"burn-in" time with my DAC Destroyer... I love it. I dislike when I have to listen to my HP's without it. Sounds great, improves dynamics and output, and it's simple/inexpensive.
smily_headphones1.gif
nG

I am going to send mine back, I guess. No difference at all, compering to Macbook pro and iMac and HP desktop. Well... slightly better than HP. I really don't know what this is all about. Personally could not find any difference in sound quality. DAC Destroyer seems to be quieter, thats all. I will try some more burn in time as well...

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #521 of 771
Well, I'm not sure how to describe it.

My laptop headphone output get PLENTY loud, the sheer volume/output of my phones straight out of the laptop is more than enough.

I have always been skeptical of such things, but I figured for the price I'd try it. I was not necessarily impressed at all at first. My impressions were similar to yours.

I've been listening to my DAC Destroyer for going on 2months now... and just last night I plugged my phones into the laptop directly b/c I didn't want to walk into the other room and snatch the destroyer...

After about 10seconds, I got up and grabbed it. A/B'd for the first time in a while and I prefer the sound production of the Destroyer...

nG

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #522 of 771
I just got my bit perfect dac in. It's my first DAC ever so bear with me.

First thing I noticed, was when connected to my powered speakers, the volume control on my speakers are pretty much rendered useless. When I first plugged in the dac, the sound coming from my speakers were super quiet. I had to max the volume in my windows and and winamp just to get back to the level before. Changing the volume control doesn't have much effect when I want a louder sound. Also, I have to turn the volume knob on the dac more than half way as well to achieve normal listening volume. What's the reason for this?

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #523 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricedaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my bit perfect dac in. It's my first DAC ever so bear with me.

First thing I noticed, was when connected to my powered speakers, the volume control on my speakers are pretty much rendered useless. When I first plugged in the dac, the sound coming from my speakers were super quiet. I had to max the volume in my windows and and winamp just to get back to the level before. Changing the volume control doesn't have much effect when I want a louder sound. Also, I have to turn the volume knob on the dac more than half way as well to achieve normal listening volume. What's the reason for this?

Need more information on your setup. Explain your audio chain in detail please, and how each component is connected.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #524 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need more information on your setup. Explain your audio chain in detail please, and how each component is connected.

I have a pair of Swan d1080mkII and I have a l+r rca into a 3.5mm cable that connects into the headphone output of the DAC. I am still awaiting for proper M/M rca cables that I ordered. That's my setup.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #525 of 771
I just bought a dac destroyer. I've been using it for about a week with denon ah-d1001 phones. My computer has the stock soundcard and there is no comparison sonically between the two. The destroyer just walks all over it like it should. I hooked it up for the first time tonight to my dussun integrated and the output is lower than a cd or dvd player. That has been my experience hooking up computers with stereos in the past so no surprise really. I just hoped the extra oomph in the headphone output jack would carry over to the rca outs. It does sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back