hotaudio40 's amps
May 21, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #542 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by midget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know how well any of the hotaudio40 amps/dacs perform with k701s?

I'm actually thinking very hard about buying the DAC Straight so if I do get it, I will let you know. It would be on some serious K701/HD650 duty.

Speaking of which, the only thing that has been holding me back from purchasing it is because I'm not sure how much of an improvement DAC straight will be compared to my current Total Bithead (feeding the EF1s). I've read from this thread that Hotaudio stuff + EF1 is good in general, but can anyone that have experience with both bithead and DAC straight (or even reasonably speculate) tell me if it is indeed a significant enough upgrade?

May 21, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #543 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually thinking very hard about buying the DAC Straight so if I do get it, I will let you know. It would be on some serious K701/HD650 duty.

Speaking of which, the only thing that has been holding me back from purchasing it is because I'm not sure how much of an improvement DAC straight will be compared to my current Total Bithead (feeding the EF1s). I've read from this thread that Hotaudio stuff + EF1 is good in general, but can anyone that have experience with both bithead and DAC straight (or even reasonably speculate) tell me if it is indeed a significant enough upgrade?

The DAC STRAIGHT can NOT drive headphones directly!!!

It needs a headphone amplifier as a buffer between it and the headphones as it is ONLY a DAC, not an AMP!!!

Just thought I would make that clear as some may think it can drive headphones.

It can NOT drive headphones!

May 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #544 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It needs a headphone amplifier as a buffer between it and the headphones as it is ONLY a DAC, not an AMP!!!

Yes, I'm well aware of that. If you read my post above you'll see that I'm planning to feed my EF1 headphone amp from it.
wink.gif
Sorry if that was confusing.

Will the components used in DAC Straight be superior to the ones used in the DAC component for Total Bithead? That's the question.

May 21, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #545 of 771
Hey guys, I have a question.

Say I want to use the destroyer with my mini^3 amp. If I use a mini-mini to connect my mini^3 to the destroyers headphone output, would this mean I'm amping the signal twice? Hence its not optimal? Thanks

May 21, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #546 of 771
I am also thinking about the same thing, to feed EF1 with hotaudio and then to HD600. In addition to how much it will improve over what i am using now (m-audio transit), i am also debating between different modes, straight or bitperfect or destroyer. In general i like a warmer sound, that is said coming with destroyer, but it seems straight may be a better DAC. Any comment?

Also, how is the hotaudio stuff (say straight) compared to fubar II or ibasso boa, which are also my current considersations?

Quote:

May 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #547 of 771
Quote:

Yes, I'm well aware of that. If you read my post above you'll see that I'm planning to feed my EF1 headphone amp from it.
wink.gif
Sorry if that was confusing.

Will the components used in DAC Straight be superior to the ones used in the DAC component for Total Bithead? That's the question.

The Burr-Brown PCM2702 in the DAC STRAIGHT is a superior DAC than the PCM2902E in the Bithead. How much better? I'd say considerable.
wink.gif

May 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #548 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by UTF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also thinking about the same thing, to feed EF1 with hotaudio and then to HD600. In addition to how much it will improve over what i am using now (m-audio transit), i am also debating between different modes, straight or bitperfect or destroyer. In general i like a warmer sound, that is said coming with destroyer, but it seems straight may be a better DAC. Any comment?

Also, how is the hotaudio stuff (say straight) compared to fubar II or ibasso boa, which are also my current considersations?

IMO the DAC STRAIGHT is HOTAUDIO's best DAC, assuming of course you're feeding it into an amp. He's setup it up so the PCM2702 is totally raw in its output, and thus has no buffering or any kind of modification, and thats a considerable plus in my books.

May 21, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #549 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTechKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Burr-Brown PCM2702 in the DAC STRAIGHT is a superior DAC than the PCM2902E in the Bithead. How much better? I'd say considerable.
wink.gif

Nice, thanks for that information. Looks like DAC straight will be my next purchase on my next paycheque (which is tm). Luckily it's on sale at the moment too, and also in-country sale which is always convenient. I can sell off the Bithead and make some of that money up anyway, since I have EF1 now and have no use for the amp portion of the Bithead. Costs are adding up, but hey, I've come this far so I might as well maximize my setup.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #550 of 771
Yes, that would be considered double amping. You could introduce unwanted distortion and/or damage the 2nd amp if you raise the volume on the first amp too high. Check out this thread for reference http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/double-amping-391361/.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I have a question.

Say I want to use the destroyer with my mini^3 amp. If I use a mini-mini to connect my mini^3 to the destroyers headphone output, would this mean I'm amping the signal twice? Hence its not optimal? Thanks

May 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #551 of 771
Welcome back!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotaudio40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

May 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #553 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by powerslave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that would be considered double amping. You could introduce unwanted distortion and/or damage the 2nd amp if you raise the volume on the first amp too high. Check out this thread for reference http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/double-amping-391361/.

Would what I am currently running right now (laptop -> usb -> bithead -> mini to rca -> EF1) fall under the same category? In my setup bithead is running as a DAC but I'm not sure if by using Bithead's headphone out as an output for mini to RCA I'm essentially doing the same thing (or if it is a different case with DACs). Just want to make sure so that I don't do damage to my EF1 before I get my DAC straight.

May 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #554 of 771
If you are using the headphone out of the bithead then yes you are double amping currently. I'm not familiar with the bithead so i don't know if it has line level outputs. You should maybe check with the manufacturer to see what they suggest. I know i did it with my hotusb1 to and amp via headphone out so i could get more power to my phones. I asked dave about it and said it was ok to do so and i had no issues. I did notice though that if i turned the hotusb1 up too high that the sound would get a bit muddy, not as clear. I think in this case, the hotusb1 doesn't produce alot of power to begin with so no danger of harming anything downstream. Not sure about the bithead though.

May 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #555 of 771
Yeah, the Bithead does not have a separate line out, but I do remember reading the FAQ from Headroom that said while it doesn't have a separate line out, headphone out is just as good except for a little bit of distortion being possible. It does not mention anything about double amping. I don't listen to particularly loud volumes (my Bithead volume is set around 3/4 while my EF1 is around 10 o'clock) or anything, so is it safe to assume that it's relatively safe for now without risk of overloading?

Edit: Here's what the FAQ says.

13.Q. Does the BitHead have a separate line out?

A. No, it does not have a separate line out. You can use the headphone jack with confidence though; remember that, as a general rule, headphone amp outputs are just like good pre-amp outputs but typically just a bit noisier in terms of adding some background noise floor issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back