hotaudio40 's amps
Apr 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #721 of 771
Well, for what it is worth, I will be getting my second HotAudio product today or tomorrow. I purchased the HotAudio THUNDERBOLT 2010 Portable. At $59.99 shipped I figured i couldn't go wrong.

I already have the Thunderbolt Max and on my profile have posted what i think about the amp etc...

HotAudio makes some seriously nice sounding products for the money. But, well read my mini review of the Thunderbolt Max on my profile. (obviously I liked the sound / value aspect to buy again from them.)

I truly wish him the best in his business. BTW, He ships really fast!

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #722 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorJack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes we all have issues, but some people around here also seem to have a problem with freedom of speech in some specific cases (*cough* when it turns out a Hotaudio product is cheaper and better than one of Head-fi's sponsor's flavor of the month products)

I could seriously care less if he spoke against uDac or Benchmark or Grado or Little Dot, etc. etc. etc.

He was just pestering about driving everyone nuts.

Exaggerated example:

user 1: Wow, the uDac is cool!

user 2: Can the uDac power my IEMs?

userland: uDac sucks! Dac Ecstasy is the teh best 4ever!!!!!!1!!one!exclamationmark

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #724 of 771
Userlander just had too much of that victim's mentality thing going on. FWIR he was a decent poster before the whole uDAC thing happened.... some posters disagreed with his opinions in the uDAC thread and it turned into a large flame war, then he felt like he was getting all the stick for expressing his opinion (to be fair to him, some were indeed uncalled for). Once he felt that he was being unfairly victimized, he just wouldn't let go of it for some reason and kept bringing it back up in other threads... he seems like an intelligent guy, but bit too emotional and argumentative about issues overall. There's really no logic in his conspiracy theories of Head-fi's interests whatsoever, as Jude has already explained.

As for Hotaudio (Dave), as I've said countless times, his amps/DACs are great for the price and I'd recommend this products every time without hesitation... but he's also, well, a unique individual... in kinda eccentric scientist sorta way (like Doc Brown in Back to the Future). His mannerisms in typing (especially his apparent affinity for CAPS and one sentence paragraphs...) and paranoia with conspiracy theories against him with various web sites, head-fi included, does puzzle and at times creeps me out... but I guess it's something I'll have to accept since that's just how he is. Not my biggest concern when he delivers where it counts, in making excellent value amps/DACs and providing great customer service.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #725 of 771
I am going to give the DAC Extasy a try. I will be using it as a source to my hybrid tube EF2 amp. I am hoping this wolfsen will make it sing
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #726 of 771
just a heads up. i heard that if you best offer him on ebay he'll sell it to you for much cheaper (110+10 shipping? i think)

i've been thinking about trying it out, but only thing is if i don't like it i don't think it really has much resale value. i may just end up saving up for a v-dac instead.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #727 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just a heads up. i heard that if you best offer him on ebay he'll sell it to you for much cheaper (110+10 shipping? i think)

i've been thinking about trying it out, but only thing is if i don't like it i don't think it really has much resale value. i may just end up saving up for a v-dac instead.

I got a good deal
wink.gif

I was considering the V-DAC also, but triple the price its hard. Gathering form what I read, the V-DAC seemed to lack punch and speed, and not be the best for rock, electronic, etc music. I listen to a wide variety of music, but I don't want to spend alot on a dac that might be weak in half of what I listen to.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #729 of 771
Apr 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #731 of 771
I think he just has it high right now because of his supply. Just talk to him to negotiate a deal. My DAC extasy should arrive soon, though I wont be able to test it much until my HD650 cable comes in. My old one broke and I am using skull candies
frown.gif

I am kind of curious to see how the thunderbolt max pairs with the extasy for high impedance/sensitivity cans. But first the extasy....
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #733 of 771
I think I remember reading that the opamp used in the thunderbolt is one that only works well for high impedance headphones. My memory is fuzzy, just making sure people do their research and reading if they plan to use a low impedance headphone.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #734 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I remember reading that the opamp used in the thunderbolt is one that only works well for high impedance headphones. My memory is fuzzy, just making sure people do their research and reading if they plan to use a low impedance headphone.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/tpa...p-world-72796/
This old thread have information on it saying it drive low impedance poorly, I can also confirm it first hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back