hotaudio40 's amps
Apr 4, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #676 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found the FOTM audio-gd stuff a little overly hyped (and imo overrated) here.

agreed.
Quote:

some user with a high post count will tout certain gear, and then everyone else falls in line, amplifies the hype (no pun intended), and then everyone else becomes afraid to say the emperor has no clothes. Well, that is my experience with a lot of the stuff promoted around here, at least. YMMV.
smily_headphones1.gif

agreed too, and experienced quite a lot of times too.

but we all hear differently, and it doesn't make much sense to buy expensive audio gear based on internet forums feedback in the first place...it's too easy to blame other ppl for your own mistakes
confused_face(1).gif

SQ is highly subjective, we can't quite all love the same gear...as we all have different ear shapes(both internal and external), different brains(left/right handed brains are completely different), different head shapes, different tastes, etc etc

you find the uDAC a major rip off basically? well, I think ppl got the message now..."the best revenge is living well" buddy
wink.gif

get your hotaudio guy to use nice looking cases, show the inside of his amps....and I'm sure his sales would increase
popcorn.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #677 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on my personal experience, I wouldn't recommend the uDAC for the HD650 unless you have a colder/analytical type of amp to make up for uDAC's warmness.

I owned the nuforce for a little while, and ended up selling it. Just wasn't that impressed overall.

Anyway, back to the Extasy. So, thoughts? I can get one for $99 + shipping.

And I rather like the no-nonsense casing of his amps. I want my stuff to last, not look pretty on the table.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #679 of 771
For $99, I don't think you can go wrong with the DAC-Extasy.

It is a definite improvement over most dedicated (I say most because I havent heard the STX) sound cards and all built-in sound cards.

So, when you look at it with the point of view of "Can I get anything better for $99", you'll be hard pressed to find anything else.

If I were the type of person who just bought stuff and was happy with it, I'm pretty sure I'd stick with my Extasy as it sounds very nice. However, it's the ONLY DAC I have heard so I would like to know what else is out there...hence my comments earlier about wanting to purchase the Audio-GD DAC19.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #680 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed.

agreed too, and experienced quite a lot of times too.

but we all hear differently, and it doesn't make much sense to buy expensive audio gear based on internet forums feedback in the first place...it's too easy to blame other ppl for your own mistakes
confused_face(1).gif

SQ is highly subjective, we can't quite all love the same gear...as we all have different ear shapes(both internal and external), different brains(left/right handed brains are completely different), different head shapes, different tastes, etc etc

you find the uDAC a major rip off basically? well, I think ppl got the message now..."the best revenge is living well" buddy
wink.gif

get your hotaudio guy to use nice looking cases, show the inside of his amps....and I'm sure his sales would increase
popcorn.gif

I wouldn't expect much from the internal shots.

Specs from his "best" headphone amp

VERY ACCURATE POWERFUL SOUND
TPA6120a2 INSIDE
POWERED BY AC ADAPTOR (INCLUDED)
DRIVES 16 TO 300 OHM HEADPHONES
MAXIMUM OUTPUT 3.5 VOLTS RMS
VOLTAGE GAIN 8 TIMES
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT 700mW @ 32 OHM
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT 80mW @ 300 OHM
ALPS VOLUME CONTROL
THERMAL & OVER-CURRENT PROTECTION
3.5MM STEREO INPUT
3.5MM STEREO OUTUT
POWER LED
SOLID BLACK ALUMINUM CASE
95MM BY 60MM BY 30MM
WEIGHS 101 GRAMS

Aside from the lovely caps and epic TPA6120a2. It also comes with a $400USD price tag and a amazing case.
THUNDERBOLT-MAX-250.jpg

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #681 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't expect much from the internal shots.

Specs from his "best" headphone amp

VERY ACCURATE POWERFUL SOUND
TPA6120a2 INSIDE
POWERED BY AC ADAPTOR (INCLUDED)
DRIVES 16 TO 300 OHM HEADPHONES
MAXIMUM OUTPUT 3.5 VOLTS RMS
VOLTAGE GAIN 8 TIMES
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT 700mW @ 32 OHM
MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT 80mW @ 300 OHM
ALPS VOLUME CONTROL
THERMAL & OVER-CURRENT PROTECTION
3.5MM STEREO INPUT
3.5MM STEREO OUTUT
POWER LED
SOLID BLACK ALUMINUM CASE
95MM BY 60MM BY 30MM
WEIGHS 101 GRAMS

Aside from the lovely caps and epic TPA6120a2. It also comes with a $400USD price tag and a amazing case.
THUNDERBOLT-MAX-250.jpg

Same chip as the Channel Islands Audio VHP•2, and everyone raves about that - except when they're saying it's a little "thin" sounding, meaning it probably isn't even implemented as well as the Hotaudio amp, because the Thunderbolt Max certainly isn't thin.

When you're not fooled by appearances and can hear and think for yourself, you have a much better chance of finding the good stuff. But you wouldn't know that about this amp, would you, since you've never even heard it.
beyersmile.png

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #682 of 771
Quote:

Same chip as the Channel Islands Audio VHP•2, and everyone raves about that - except when they're saying it's a little "thin" sounding, meaning it probably isn't even implemented as well as the Hotaudio amp, because the Thunderbolt Max certainly isn't thin.

When you're not fooled by appearances and can hear and think for yourself, you have a much better chance of finding the good stuff. But you wouldn't know that about this amp, would you, since you've never even heard it.
beyersmile.png

Also the same chip used in my Essence ST.
jecklinsmile.gif

Your point is null. Just look at my Terminator amp, the appearance is rather bad, and even have typo. But it didn't stop it being an amazing amp.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #683 of 771
What I do wish Hotaudio would do is to include better input/output options for his more powerful amps. A set of RCA inputs (instead of mini in) and a 1/4 headphone out instead of 1/8 would be great. If the amp is designed to power harder to drive headphones in the first place, I fail to see why he's using 1/8 headphone out when most of those said headphones come with 1/4 plug...

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #684 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also the same chip used in my Essence ST.
jecklinsmile.gif

Your point is null. Just look at my Terminator amp, the appearance is rather bad, and even have typo. But it didn't stop it being an amazing amp.

I don't really know what your point is, except to troll. Just because you don't know how to properly implement the chip doesn't have anything to do with the Hotaudio amp. The Thunderbird Max is a killer amp with a very rich, organic, natural and transparent sound. The people who know what they're talking about know this is a good audio IC. I don't think many people really care about what a random guy on head-fi forum who doesn't know how to implement it properly and has never even heard the Hotaudio amp thinks about it.
beyersmile.png

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #685 of 771
Quote:

I don't really know what your point is, except to troll. Just because you don't know how to properly implement the chip doesn't have anything to do with the Hotaudio amp. The Thunderbird Max is a killer amp with a very rich, organic, natural and transparent sound. The people who know what they're talking about know this is a good audio IC. I don't think many people really care about what a random guy on head-fi forum who doesn't know how to implement it properly and has never even heard the Hotaudio amp thinks about it.
beyersmile.png

Whatever you like to think, I have heard the TPA6120a2 for quite a while and also liked it with high impedance phones. Also, why would I need to implement any chips? I am the end-user, consumer who buy finished product, implementing chips are none of my concern.

I know you will just continue defending any Hotaudio product by all means just like they have paid you or something, so I will leave it at that.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #687 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait, was he literally just banned less than an hour ago?

It seems that is the case.
confused_face_2.gif

I don't see anything ban worthy in this thread, so might be somewhere else.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #688 of 771
nm.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #689 of 771
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I do wish Hotaudio would do is to include better input/output options for his more powerful amps. A set of RCA inputs (instead of mini in) and a 1/4 headphone out instead of 1/8 would be great. If the amp is designed to power harder to drive headphones in the first place, I fail to see why he's using 1/8 headphone out when most of those said headphones come with 1/4 plug...

Being that it is a small amp, it is understandable why there is only 3.5mm in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back