Home-Made IEMs
Jul 4, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #14,131 of 15,974
Thanks, so I guess that means I really need to be prepared to experiment to get the values. I think this time I will fix everything in the shell first with just leads soldered to the drivers (no smds) and then experiment with the smds outside the shell to get what I want. Is that the normal practice? Previously I've tried getting the values right before fixing in the shell, but found that things end up changing. Possibly as the tubes get trimmed and maybe the glue/resin makes a difference or the seal/insertion depth to the coupler is different
you can most certainly test tube lengths, dampers, and smd networks prior to mounting. However, without the right controls in place, you will have slight variance. Pretty typical in bespoke hand made items.

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #14,132 of 15,974
Snap29.pngSnap31.pngSnap42.png

I spent another month for fine tunning this set of hybrid iem Low : tusq 10mm DD / Low_mid : sonion 37ap015 / mid_high : sonion 2389 / High : knowles 31736 This set of iem has been assembly / disassembly over 50 times, tube length has tried from short to long, crossing with various combination of damper / cap / resistor and this is the final setup that I can do.

My next attempt will also be DD hybrid, Low: 10mm PU DD / low_mid : Sonion 28uap / mid_high : Sonion E50DT / high : knowles 31736Snap38.pngSnap39.png
So, what did you learn or do you have a suitable build? I don't have the time for 50 iterations!

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #14,133 of 15,974
you can most certainly test tube lengths, dampers, and smd networks prior to mounting. However, without the right controls in place, you will have slight variance. Pretty typical in bespoke hand made items.
Cheers, will give it a go and let you know how things work out. One thing I just realised is that the two 38 drivers are not wired together by default, so I can wire them in series and see what that gets me

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #14,134 of 15,974
The electrical distribution will be skewed by adding the 38. I would suspect the low end to OVER dominate the eq. Thusly, drowning out the upper mids and highs.
depends how you design crossover, i can literally add one yellow damper to already overdamped 38D1Xj and then run fullrange with an Lpad and then design my mids, uppermids and tweeter according to that

kinda easy to get tbh, just slight more work

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #14,135 of 15,974
Started looking at this earlier and was a bit confused by the 38D1Xj wiring. It seems to be perfectly symmetrical so which is + and -? Can probably find out by testing but seems strange that it isn't clearly specified. Am I missing something? It is further confused by the pictures and diagrams showing the driver both ways up so there is no clear top or bottom. Even the wording is written both ways up!

1657113420714.png

I found the following image, but even this shows + against both sides (the middle one is other other way up). Can anyone confirm which is right? Vents on + side? Thanks!

1657113572976.png

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #14,136 of 15,974
Started looking at this earlier and was a bit confused by the 38D1Xj wiring. It seems to be perfectly symmetrical so which is + and -? Can probably find out by testing but seems strange that it isn't clearly specified. Am I missing something? It is further confused by the pictures and diagrams showing the driver both ways up so there is no clear top or bottom. Even the wording is written both ways up!

I found the following image, but even this shows + against both sides (the middle one is other other way up). Can anyone confirm which is right? Vents on + side? Thanks!

Yes, + is on the side of the spout and vents

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #14,138 of 15,974
when you look at the doc sonion, it’s very well done the shema, you can’t go wrong, the connectors + are rated vent as Piotr said, on the other hand, the spout is the opposite

Attachments

• 38d1x.png
    38d1x.png
    381.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 10, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #14,140 of 15,974
Heres a community PSA:

Be wary of the drivers on aliexpress coming from the Langhizheng store. The QC seems spotty at best. Ive had drivers just cut out, lose volume, and some drivers will test out differently than all the other drivers of the same SKU.

They are cheap though… So, I guess I got what I paid for

Jul 13, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #14,141 of 15,974
Hi, i am new to the forum amd new to iem diy! Nice to meet you all and thank you all of you sharing your knowledge of iem. It really helps!

Dont know if anyone here still love ue11/jh 11? I love it so much but i couldn't find pair of custom made nor demo unit for sell on the internet. (second hand)

As far as I remember, someone had told me that it is not possible to "copy" the ue 11 on your own since the dual low driver ue11e/jha xxx were tailor made for ue/jh. It looks pretty much a 33aj007i/9 to me.

Then, I read a passage from a Japanese blogger who tried to build up his own ue11 and tried to draw myself a circuit according to his sharing just for experiment/learning😛

20220713-205830.jpg

Dont know if anyone of u discussed about before and hopefully i didn't get anything wrong on the circuit.

If I didn't get him wrong from translation, he thinks that the replica ue 11 he made was pretty close to the original one except the bass amount.

For more info of that ue11e driver, i found it appears on the ue 18 pro (the old one) too. They were just keep reusing the same driver perhaps haha.

For that 22955 like ba they used as mid range. Some photos shows that the driver is ue low by soion (2015 i think) and some shows ci60003. It mostly like can be replaced by a standard 22955.

When it comes to the hi driver. it is a well known ue hi which similar to sonion 2389/ ed 29689.

And thats all i know for the ue11. I have also got the circuit of UE 10 (not tf10), and found it most of the iem shared similar circuit design. Dont know anyone here still remember these legacy iems. I think i will diy a ue 10 for myself first ♥️♥️

Jul 14, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #14,142 of 15,974
Hi, i am new to the forum amd new to iem diy! Nice to meet you all and thank you all of you sharing your knowledge of iem. It really helps!

Dont know if anyone here still love ue11/jh 11? I love it so much but i couldn't find pair of custom made nor demo unit for sell on the internet. (second hand)

As far as I remember, someone had told me that it is not possible to "copy" the ue 11 on your own since the dual low driver ue11e/jha xxx were tailor made for ue/jh. It looks pretty much a 33aj007i/9 to me.

Then, I read a passage from a Japanese blogger who tried to build up his own ue11 and tried to draw myself a circuit according to his sharing just for experiment/learning😛

20220713-205830.jpg

Dont know if anyone of u discussed about before and hopefully i didn't get anything wrong on the circuit.

If I didn't get him wrong from translation, he thinks that the replica ue 11 he made was pretty close to the original one except the bass amount.

For more info of that ue11e driver, i found it appears on the ue 18 pro (the old one) too. They were just keep reusing the same driver perhaps haha.

For that 22955 like ba they used as mid range. Some photos shows that the driver is ue low by soion (2015 i think) and some shows ci60003. It mostly like can be replaced by a standard 22955.

When it comes to the hi driver. it is a well known ue hi which similar to sonion 2389/ ed 29689.

And thats all i know for the ue11. I have also got the circuit of UE 10 (not tf10), and found it most of the iem shared similar circuit design. Dont know anyone here still remember these legacy iems. I think i will diy a ue 10 for myself first ♥️♥️
this is mostly right iirc.

Jul 14, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #14,143 of 15,974

20220713-205830.jpg

CI22955 can't really replace the CI60003, the peaks aren't at the right places sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back