Home-Made IEMs
May 29, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #14,056 of 15,989
a weekend five-minute modification to brighten and improve the sound for iems twice as much (by removing components :relaxed:)

Zrzut ekranu 2022-05-29 o 21.30.45.pngZrzut ekranu 2022-05-29 o 21.33.47.png

May 30, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #14,058 of 15,989
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I'll post it here since I guess it's DIY related?
Anyway, I've opened up an old KZ AS06 to try and harvest the drivers since I never use it and it should have some good drivers. But when I opened it up surprisingly there's 3 different types of driver inside and not two. Maybe the AS06 uses the same drivers as the AS10, but with heavy resistors on the tweeters or perhaps I'm wrong and there's actually only two types of driver here? If anyone here already knows the answer to what's going on, I'd love to know.
Will try to test all the drivers once I get them out, they're really stuck in the 3d printed sound guide with hot glue and I think I may have to destroy the whole shell to get them out, which will take some time.

--- Update
The drivers are indeed named KZ A22955, 29689, and A30095. Not sure what the A stands for but I do know this means that there's not just 3 drivers in the AS06. Oh also the (dual?) 22955 is vented.

--- Update 2
All the individual drivers work with the stock crossover, the A30095 isn't even blocked out through the electronic crossover and the soundguide wasn't blocked off either.
Another update. I see I misremembered the driver setup of the AS06, apparently it wasn't 2x22955 and 1x29689 but instead 1x22955, 1x29689 and 1x30095. These drivers are all correctly listed on the item pages and somehow I mixed it up. Don't know why I hadn't looked it up before posting, to make sure I didn't misremember the driver setup.

May 31, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #14,061 of 15,989
Hi guys, I am wondering if anyone has tried the Sony Just Ear configuration. Hybrid with 1 DD + 1 BA but no crossover circuit, tuned by some sort of foam fitted in the tubes?
Its in the same vein as the Samsung version and pretty similar to the UE Fits comcept. Only the Fits will custom cure to your ear up the first bend. However, the bass is a bit thin and bluetooth interference is enough to give you a stroke. Plus, theres not transparency mode so you cant hear yourself speak when a person walks up or you answer a call.

May 31, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #14,062 of 15,989
There was a rumor going around on reddit that in the hybrid models featuring a DD and BA(s), that the BAs were fake. 😂😂 NOW the casing of KZ, CCA, TRN, etc. are all black with gold spouts. China must‘ve taken that L from Knowles in the US courts and double down.
They aren't even fake just used in a way that they're barely or not at all audible. In the dq6 the two 6mm dynamics were straight up wired out of phase.

May 31, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #14,063 of 15,989
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I'll post it here since I guess it's DIY related?
Anyway, I've opened up an old KZ AS06 to try and harvest the drivers since I never use it and it should have some good drivers. But when I opened it up surprisingly there's 3 different types of driver inside and not two. Maybe the AS06 uses the same drivers as the AS10, but with heavy resistors on the tweeters or perhaps I'm wrong and there's actually only two types of driver here? If anyone here already knows the answer to what's going on, I'd love to know.
Will try to test all the drivers once I get them out, they're really stuck in the 3d printed sound guide with hot glue and I think I may have to destroy the whole shell to get them out, which will take some time.

--- Update
The drivers are indeed named KZ A22955, 29689, and A30095. Not sure what the A stands for but I do know this means that there's not just 3 drivers in the AS06. Oh also the (dual?) 22955 is vented.

--- Update 2
All the individual drivers work with the stock crossover, the A30095 isn't even blocked out through the electronic crossover and the soundguide wasn't blocked off either.
22955 is a single driver so it's only 3ba.

May 31, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #14,064 of 15,989
They aren't even fake just used in a way that they're barely or not at all audible. In the dq6 the two 6mm dynamics were straight up wired out of phase.
I dont even think the R&D. It seems like they just hijack the intellectual property of everyone else. 🤣🤣 I mean the highway robbery the committed against knowles was truely historic. Its the #1 reason I have never owned any earphones with Bellsing drivers or a set of KZ’s, CCA, TRN, etc. they flood this stuff on the market so quickly its unreal…. < dont look while I side eye waiting for those bellsing RAU’s )

May 31, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #14,065 of 15,989
22955 is a single driver so it's only 3ba.
Yeah I somehow confused their driver setup with some other 3BA IEMs that have 2x 22955 and 1x 29689 like TSMR 3 or Voyager 3, as I hadn't looked at the specs for a few years. Which is also why I thought the 22955 they used here was maybe a dual driver like CJ-30029-000, even though they look completely different. Sorry for the mixup.

May 31, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #14,067 of 15,989
Hi
New to the ciem
I really fancy making my own iem but i want to experiment with multi dd drivers
Lets say a 8mm and 10mm ect
Then may add a ba
I Just want to go crazy 😂
Obv the wiring side to it, i will have to read up as theres caps and resistors ? No idea lol
For now my problem is finding shells
I dont have a 3d printer but i know someone who has. I mean if i can buy one thats cheap enough i would so then i can really go crazy 😂
But for now were can i get a shell or maybe a cad for a shell that will fit two dd drivers?
Is there any tutorials i can sit down and read?
Thanks

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #14,068 of 15,989
Hi
New to the ciem
I really fancy making my own iem but i want to experiment with multi dd drivers
Lets say a 8mm and 10mm ect
Then may add a ba
I Just want to go crazy 😂
Obv the wiring side to it, i will have to read up as theres caps and resistors ? No idea lol
For now my problem is finding shells
I dont have a 3d printer but i know someone who has. I mean if i can buy one thats cheap enough i would so then i can really go crazy 😂
But for now were can i get a shell or maybe a cad for a shell that will fit two dd drivers?
Is there any tutorials i can sit down and read?
Thanks
Can't offer too much help but for the wiring side, the cap and resistors are for driver crossovers. As for sourcing the pcb and soldering these tiny components, I have no idea

Jun 1, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #14,069 of 15,989
Its in the same vein as the Samsung version and pretty similar to the UE Fits comcept. Only the Fits will custom cure to your ear up the first bend. However, the bass is a bit thin and bluetooth interference is enough to give you a stroke. Plus, theres not transparency mode so you cant hear yourself speak when a person walks up or you answer a call.
I'm sorry but which Samsung model we are talking about? I didn't realise Samsung offered something similar to the Sony Just ear. And the UE Fits use 10mm dynamic drivers only so they are not hybrid AFAIK. Just want to make sure we are on the same page here.

I'm thinking about building my first CIEM, 1DD+1BA hybrid, no crossover, pure acoustic tuning. Already got my ear impressions done, both open mouth and relaxed mouth. Though I need to get one of those 711 couplers.

The Sony Just ear project is helmed by chief engineer Tomohiro Matsuo, one of the top sound/headphone engineers in Japan (if not the world). So I don't expect to get anywhere close to what they've achieved. Matsuo-san was not a big fan of 3D printing tech but I do have access to 3D printers myself so I can fiddle with internal acoustic structures, just for the fun of it. I know what caps, resistors and dampers do but still a bit of a layman in tuning. It will be appreciated if someone can point me to a place where I can learn some more acoustic tuning techniques especially for IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back