Home-Made IEMs
Jan 15, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #10,801 of 16,023
I listen metal and to be frank DTEC does not make me happy. I need CI somewhere in the setup to have more solid sound. I don't enjoy BS6+zobel at all, it is narrow sounding, quite harsh with thin bass.

For me quite good sounding setup is GK+RAB (zobel), but even better one is CI (15ohm rez) + ED (tiny values cap, don't remember by heart). The latter one is easy the most enjoyable with heavy music and my favorite as of today. Fast, spacious, not harsh, articulate. My kind of sound :)
Damn man, you make me scared haha even tho i've bought the BS6 already. But I agree I love the GK without dampers in one tube. And my 5 folks from metal band (to whom i made ciems) loved the GK hugely... Will try and see what happens. The worst case is i will make some ciems to buddies for birthdays whatnot
CI has a large amount of lower mids, but is slow and does not have a good bass below 50hz. But bass amount is most likely an issue with the fit, the BS6+Z has more than enough bass, it has much more bass than the GK.
Thats what scares me actually, cause i love the quantity of bass in the GK...

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #10,802 of 16,023
CI has a large amount of lower mids, but is slow and does not have a good bass below 50hz. But bass amount is most likely an issue with the fit, the BS6+Z has more than enough bass, it has much more bass than the GK.
Well I don't agree with this. For me CI is fast enough when paired with resistor in series. BS6 does not go that low and there is no impact what so ever. It might be good for mids, but soundstage is quite narrow, so. I've tried different setups for this driver and all of them were not satisfying. I do not listen to music very loud and don't listen to music that has sub bass, so this is not important to me.

Since I have several CI laying around I'll be trying to pair it with GQ which has terribly boosted mid bass. Maybe something good comes out of it. I was even thinking pairing BS6 with highly dampened CI, but this is in the future. BS6 is the only driver I had ruined while building yet and it does not even sound to my liking.

Just my opinion, I know there is a lot of love for BS6 and since everybody listen at different level/prefer different sound signature/listen to different music and hear differently - take my opinion with precaution :) You might enjoy it.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #10,803 of 16,023
Damn man, you make me scared haha even tho i've bought the BS6 already. But I agree I love the GK without dampers in one tube. And my 5 folks from metal band (to whom i made ciems) loved the GK hugely... Will try and see what happens. The worst case is i will make some ciems to buddies for birthdays whatnot

Thats what scares me actually, cause i love the quantity of bass in the GK...
Well you'll see :) You might enjoy it after all.

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #10,804 of 16,023
Well I don't agree with this. For me CI is fast enough when paired with resistor in series. BS6 does not go that low and there is no impact what so ever. It might be good for mids, but soundstage is quite narrow, so. I've tried different setups for this driver and all of them were not satisfying. I do not listen to music very loud and don't listen to music that has sub bass, so this is not important to me.

The problem with the BS6 is mainly that it has a bad impedance curve. You have to rectify that with the Zobel, otherwise it does sound bad and distorted even on a good amp.

Still, even with the zobel the bass is depending on the source.

I don't like the way the CI is blooming into the mid-range, muddying the bass and the mids together. As you surely know the amount of bass also has a lot to do with the fit you are achieving, but with your experience you surely are able to achieve similar fit.

If you mean bass as in "bass guitar" then the CI has more bass as it has an emphasis on everything between 100 and 500 hz. If you mean bass as in "kickdrum impact", the BS6+Z has more bass, but also it is more neutral in the signature.

Just my opinion, I know there is a lot of love for BS6 and since everybody listen at different level/prefer different sound signature/listen to different music and hear differently - take my opinion with precaution :) You might enjoy it.

Different opinions are always welcome. I love your input to this thread. :beerchug:

Edit: In my experience if you are into metal or rock then you most probably prefer a V shaped or U shaped signature. You should try the scary then, with two CI.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #10,805 of 16,023
pfft.....hahahhaha

guys, it depends on tuning on whether CI goes low or not
i have some build, where CI blows away Sonion 38D1XJ, and some build where CI sounds bad

CI is a linear field woofer

try making an iem with flat sound on CI and it will go low(seems to be opposite of many people think), but CI moves air above its weight, which also makes it slow but since its a fullrange, low pass it higher or dont low pass it and try making a pretty flat response, so that you can hide its midbass due to flatness and then listen to its sheer extension
it will go to 10Hz in breeze

but use it as a complete woofer

and then the mid bass comes in between and then it rolls of in sub bass, making it midbass dominant

its a fullrange

and not like Sonion 38D1XJ true subwoofer(i know, you guys not talking about this driver)

its all about use and design

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #10,806 of 16,023
First test, 3D printing with Class II bio compatible skin safe resin, looks like I have to set a longer exposure time, the face plate was incomplete but the shell looks really nice!

Oh that looks really nice indeed :O

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #10,807 of 16,023
The problem with the BS6 is mainly that it has a bad impedance curve. You have to rectify that with the Zobel, otherwise it does sound bad and distorted even on a good amp.

I don't like the way the CI is blooming into the mid-range, muddying the bass and the mids together. As you surely know the amount of bass also has a lot to do with the fit you are achieving, but with your experience you surely are able to achieve similar fit.

If you mean bass as in "bass guitar" then the CI has more bass as it has an emphasis on everything between 100 and 500 hz. If you mean bass as in "kickdrum impact", the BS6+Z has more bass, but also it is more neutral in the signature.

Different opinions are always welcome. I love your input to this thread. :beerchug:

Edit: In my experience if you are into metal or rock then you most probably prefer a V shaped or U shaped signature. You should try the scary then, with two CI.

Actually I find CI to sound pretty clear, if you add a 20ohm resistor to CI it flattens the driver and makes it quite flat, and sounds much faster. But despite the flat response it really doesn't sound flat. It gives much more bass than smaller drivers with the same response.

Jan 15, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #10,808 of 16,023
I think it reduces reflections, at least that’s what I tell myself. I built with and without the 1mmID and although the difference was minuscule I thought the one with the 1mmID sounded a bit better, a little less distortion in the mids. Of course that could be due to other differences in the build but since then I build them with it.
and it just a small piece of the 1 mm id just in front of the driver?

Jan 15, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #10,809 of 16,023

My BS6 is with zobel, used expensive resistor and ceramic capacitor, tubing is also as per advise in this thread, I think I made all as if should have been made, not my first set of IEMs.

Try calming CI with come resistors. 15 ohm was enough to pair with ED, most of the midrange comes from CI also. It is actually a pretty good driver with enough mass to produce full sound and big headroom. I also noticed that dampers above brown really messes openness of the sound and I try to avoid using those unless specifically requested by design.

My preferred sound would probably be L shaped - I do not like active high frequencies. Recessed mids are also not my favorite. I'd say HD650, meze 99/empyrean would have my favorite sound signature.

I did try scary build (2xCI + TWFK if I'm not mistaken), but the whole setup is so bulky I did not manage to fit it into the shell :) Only tried them with test shell where back plate is fixed with whiteboard sticky material and is sitting 10 mm outside where the original plate should be. Did not listen to it for a long time, but my recollection of it is not too great. Now I have 4 CIs to play with :)

Jan 15, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #10,810 of 16,023
My BS6 is with zobel, used expensive resistor and ceramic capacitor, tubing is also as per advise in this thread, I think I made all as if should have been made, not my first set of IEMs.

Try calming CI with come resistors. 15 ohm was enough to pair with ED, most of the midrange comes from CI also. It is actually a pretty good driver with enough mass to produce full sound and big headroom. I also noticed that dampers above brown really messes openness of the sound and I try to avoid using those unless specifically requested by design.

My preferred sound would probably be L shaped - I do not like active high frequencies. Recessed mids are also not my favorite. I'd say HD650, meze 99/empyrean would have my favorite sound signature.

I did try scary build (2xCI + TWFK if I'm not mistaken), but the whole setup is so bulky I did not manage to fit it into the shell :) Only tried them with test shell where back plate is fixed with whiteboard sticky material and is sitting 10 mm outside where the original plate should be. Did not listen to it for a long time, but my recollection of it is not too great. Now I have 4 CIs to play with :)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmmm
why do you even want to use CI
when you can have high excursion RAB32033 for L-shape

well by the way
CI inductance is 11mH for DCR zobel

but CI peaks at 1.8kHz where it just doesnt blend with BS6 response target
and if you damp it, it increase decay slight
which will cause the driver to bleed

as noticed by @eunice in final 3 old prototype and also by me

CI in this setup is also very big and hard to fit

and CI is air mover and not excursion driver

so, the bass hit and impact would be lacking(for the grand bass presentation)

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #10,812 of 16,023
What tool/app is the best to make graphs
20200115_180812.jpg

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #10,814 of 16,023
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #10,815 of 16,023

Hey Eunice,

Looking at the BS6 + Zobel build here - which 25ohm resistor did you end up using?

Struggling to find a 25 ohm unit on element14 or similar in a SMD package - I've got some 1206 25.5's showing that I'll probably end up getting though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back