Home-Made IEMs
Jan 16, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #10,831 of 15,945
I listen metal and to be frank DTEC does not make me happy. I need CI somewhere in the setup to have more solid sound. I don't enjoy BS6+zobel at all, it is narrow sounding, quite harsh with thin bass.

For me quite good sounding setup is GK+RAB (zobel), but even better one is CI (15ohm rez) + ED (tiny values cap, don't remember by heart). The latter one is easy the most enjoyable with heavy music and my favorite as of today. Fast, spacious, not harsh, articulate. My kind of sound :)
We had a quite similar taste, dude. MASM7 is close, but those DTEC still lacking a little bit to satisfy me.

will try to put an 8th driver into MASM7, as a woofer. So far, the driver candidate was an ED.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #10,833 of 15,945
The tubes are glued to the driver using loctite 401. Then I cover that in dreve silicone glue.

I had so many CIEMs fail due to losing the seal between tube and driver and that’s what ended up being reliable, so I stick to it.

I think there are two challenges:

1) you need a glue joint between driver and tube that is strong enough to withstand the air pressure from inserting and removing the ciem from the ear and of course the sound pressure itself.

2) the glue must withstand the solvents in the resin from filling up the ear canal until it is fully cured.

It took me a while and lots of frustration until I found a combination that works.

The silicone glue also can potentially soften the impact on the driver when the ciems Fall on the ground.

Most probably there is a better and easier solution but I got tired of trying.

I don’t use shrink wrap though, it’s just a drop of resin and a UV torch.
These are all good points, but I have fantastic results with bondic in two places. First, put it on the the snout of the driver. Putting the tube on will squeeze it to touch the base of the snout. I then cure this. A second ring, touching both the BA and the tube is then added. Maybe you may want to try this. It sits fine with fotoplast.

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #10,834 of 15,945
I've been floating around the thread for the last year or so, but just got around to posting. *shrug*

Been fiddling with the process of building shells over the last year or so, finally getting somewhere where the results are usable, but I haven't been applying a lot of time to it. Just dropped another absurd amount of money on a new set of UE Live's as well, so figured I should really work out how to make the damn things so I don't buy any more... Plus, there's a good collection of band members and vocalists that I know who've asked if I'm ever actually going to build them some customs, so might be a nice new year resolution.

Unfortunately, getting hold of some stuff down in NZ is a pain (looking at you, Lack 3!) but thankfully, I've got a friend who's mother's coming over from China soon, so thank you Taobao...

Hopefully will be able to add to the content here once it's all coming together on my end!
Oh yeah, I see your joined date. Glad to see you getting results!

Also, Lack3 is the totally overrated. Theres about 15 1/2 people on this thread (of a few hundred) who can consistently get results that are close to its capabilities. I reccomend Fotofix. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/page-717#post-15402127

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #10,835 of 15,945
Oh yeah, I see your joined date. Glad to see you getting results!

Also, Lack3 is the totally overrated. Theres about 15 1/2 people on this thread (of a few hundred) who can consistently get results that are close to its capabilities. I reccomend Fotofix. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/page-717#post-15402127
Thanks!

Yeah, I've been reading through your posts on Fotofix. Unfortunately, since it's still a high vapor thing, it's a person to ship internationally, and most places will outright refuse. I could've got some from China I suppose with this shipment of stuff coming over from Taobao - maybe I'll see if I can get something else slipped in!

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #10,836 of 15,945
Whats he difference between masm 7 whit RAB 32033 and RAB 32063 inordered the RAB 32063 because that was recomended at that time now everybody tends to RAB 32033

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #10,837 of 15,945
Thanks!

Yeah, I've been reading through your posts on Fotofix. Unfortunately, since it's still a high vapor thing, it's a person to ship internationally, and most places will outright refuse. I could've got some from China I suppose with this shipment of stuff coming over from Taobao - maybe I'll see if I can get something else slipped in!
Oh yeah, I forgot about shipping resins overseas. Some lucky guy on Taobao got away with my money. Translation was not good enough to pursue it. Kinda hurts to think about lol. Do you guys have a superbuy for NZ?

Theres a lot of you NZ folks here. Is it as beautiful as they say it is?

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #10,838 of 15,945
Its late now, but tomorrow I will be working on making the TWFK sound good, with SIMPLE tuning. Maybe its impossible, but I will try

Some of you may know, I have a pet peeve with the TWFK. It is the FK + WBFK, but its much better to run them separate. Green filter on FK, grey (or no damper) on WBFK. The best way to go is the DWFK + SWFK, with the same dampers.

Also, every reviewer on the planet calls any dual FK BA a TWFK. This includes DWFK, DFK, SWFK, etc.

But people will keep buying the GV/GK/TWFK, try them, and get mediocre results, so I want to fix that.

Edit: I don’t think the TWFK is bad. Its just not good in the way that it requires a compromise, of a smooth treble and poor extendion, or vice versa.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #10,839 of 15,945
Whats he difference between masm 7 whit RAB 32033 and RAB 32063 inordered the RAB 32063 because that was recomended at that time now everybody tends to RAB 32033
32033 is bassy and corrects the CI deficiency effect on MASM 7

It gives way harder low end without spoiling mids

Take away the bass and its 32063

Jan 16, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #10,840 of 15,945
its differ quite a bit. 32033 which is vented, will add quite some to the bass, has slower bass decay, but sometime also creep into the lower mid (i dont really like it). And due to it's bassy nature, it doesnt help much on treble area. it will have warmer vocal.
32063 is the opposite of 32033.

the build is depend on your taste:
32033 for extra bass & dynamic-like slower bass decay (will pull it toward warm)
32257 is the middleground (i prefer this) (less warm)
32036 wont add the bass (might be bright? i havent tried)

why everyone tends to use 32033? Could it be because of me spam posting my build which use 32033, LOL.
I don't recomend 32033 either. Go buy 32257 instead, its flexible, if u need more bass, just remove the vent cloth. 32033 is 32257 without vent cloth.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #10,841 of 15,945
The improvement: with 3 bore, u can tune MASM7 freely to your taste. And the most important was, since we had less damping on the TWFK, it fixes the last-gen MASM7 weakness: lack of treble

MASM7 tri-bore was quite flexible to tune, if u prefer less bass, u can try:
DTEC: white @ 10mm, brown @20mm

it'll lessen the bass, and because now dtec also singing on the mid, u'll get extra resolution on the mid because now it has 5 driver singing on the mid (2xFK, 2xDTEC, RAB). But it'll shift the vocal to the warm-ish.

My recomendation: buy extra damper with another color, you can shift the whole tonality by playing with damper on the DTEC & TWFK.
Less damping on DTEC will shift tonality to warm, less bass, but will get more resolution on mid.
More damping on DTEC do the opposite,

U can go undamped on the TWFK if u really love those treble

My current masm7 configuration:
RAB 32033(i stick a cloth on the vent to make it sounds like a 32257)
10ohm before BZ6 zobel
TWFK: white @ 10mm
DTEC: orange @ 20mm

Try white + green/red on the DTEC, mine which use orange, lose a little bit of those gorgeous mid resolution.

My head was still not able to cope with the bass, having a bass which doesnt affect/bleed into mid in any way, feels weird (too HIFI, LOL)
Thank you very much man for your gold input! Appreciate this much! I gotta say, that I have 0 problem with GKs TWFK undamped, love the trebly side (or maybe i've just lost treble due to too much unprotected metal concerts haha). Can I ask you what is the problem with 32066 RAB? Can I use this one or should i really buy some 32033s? I will definetely buy some more dampers tho.

Unfortunately for me, I don't think I can fit 3 bores in my tiny asian ears xD Will try to, but when I've tried long time ago to fit 2x3mm tubes it ain't finished well - both was squished in oval shape. But maybe I can make some sort of horn at the end and recess all the tubes...

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #10,842 of 15,945
Oh yeah, I forgot about shipping resins overseas. Some lucky guy on Taobao got away with my money. Translation was not good enough to pursue it. Kinda hurts to think about lol. Do you guys have a superbuy for NZ?

Theres a lot of you NZ folks here. Is it as beautiful as they say it is?
She's not easy, yeah. I think there is a superbuy kinda option - I'll give it a bash sometime, but even shipping resins is fine, it's the lacquers and glues that're the real problems. :frowning2:

There's a few round yeah! And I mean - I'm biased, right? But yeah. It's pretty bloody stunning. This is the harbour in Wellington, ten minute walk from work, fifteen minutes from home, and the city's clustered around it. I absolutely love this place.

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #10,843 of 15,945
Thank you very much man for your gold input! Appreciate this much! I gotta say, that I have 0 problem with GKs TWFK undamped, love the trebly side (or maybe i've just lost treble due to too much unprotected metal concerts haha). Can I ask you what is the problem with 32066 RAB? Can I use this one or should i really buy some 32033s? I will definetely buy some more dampers tho.

Unfortunately for me, I don't think I can fit 3 bores in my tiny asian ears xD Will try to, but when I've tried long time ago to fit 2x3mm tubes it ain't finished well - both was squished in oval shape. But maybe I can make some sort of horn at the end and recess all the tubes...
the problem with 32066? it has no problem at all.

32033 or 32257 or 32063 is all per your taste. I personally prefer 32257, since if needed, it can be modified into 32033 just by removing the vent cloth.
I mistakenly bought 32033 because i underestimated the bass impact of a BA, i never thought before, such small BA can go bassy like that.

One more trick for MASM7:
u can try put a 10ohm resistor before BZ6's zobel, it'll reduce the loudness by about 5db on BZ6. It'll make the RAB more prominent.
It'll also increase the bass quantity if u're using 32033 or 32257, also shifting the tonality towards warm quite a bit.

Jan 16, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #10,844 of 15,945
its differ quite a bit. 32033 which is vented, will add quite some to the bass, has slower bass decay, but sometime also creep into the lower mid (i dont really like it). And due to it's bassy nature, it doesnt help much on treble area. it will have warmer vocal.
32063 is the opposite of 32033.

the build is depend on your taste:
32033 for extra bass & dynamic-like slower bass decay (will pull it toward warm)
32257 is the middleground (i prefer this) (less warm)
32036 wont add the bass (might be bright? i havent tried)

why everyone tends to use 32033? Could it be because of me spam posting my build which use 32033, LOL.
I don't recomend 32033 either. Go buy 32257 instead, its flexible, if u need more bass, just remove the vent cloth. 32033 is 32257 without vent cloth.

Ehhm the bellsing one or knowles i see there are 2 of 32257

Jan 16, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #10,845 of 15,945
the problem with 32066? it has no problem at all.

32033 or 32257 or 32063 is all per your taste. I personally prefer 32257, since if needed, it can be modified into 32033 just by removing the vent cloth.
I mistakenly bought 32033 because i underestimated the bass impact of a BA, i never thought before, such small BA can go bassy like that.

One more trick for MASM7:
u can try put a 10ohm resistor before BZ6's zobel, it'll reduce the loudness by about 5db on BZ6. It'll make the RAB more prominent.
It'll also increase the bass quantity if u're using 32033 or 32257, also shifting the tonality towards warm quite a bit.

Thank you very much for your input mate! Will absolutely make myself a test pair to try it all out and find some good sound. When i'll have time to do it, i will post my impressions on it :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back