Home-Made IEMs
Aug 19, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #9,841 of 16,025
WOW Thank you guys @eunice and @Ivan TT.

I thought I knew electronics, but you guys take the ribbon. I saw those resistors and capacitors in my research, but though they were too small, now I know those are the ones I need. As far as connecting them I am planning in connecting them in parallel as @Ivan TT suggested, so far so good, but when you say "I used 22uF 0805 x5r caps and x2 50Ohm resistors" do you mean five capacitors plus two resistors in one IEM?

This is the schematic I have for the build. Changing the resistor from 25ohms to 50ohms
clip_image001.jpg
My always go to are MELF resistor or sometime metal film resistor, also ceramic cap or film cap if you can find them in smd size

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #9,842 of 16,025
WOW Thank you guys @eunice and @Ivan TT.

I thought I knew electronics, but you guys take the ribbon. I saw those resistors and capacitors in my research, but though they were too small, now I know those are the ones I need. As far as connecting them I am planning in connecting them in parallel as @Ivan TT suggested, so far so good, but when you say "I used 22uF 0805 x5r caps and x2 50Ohm resistors" do you mean five capacitors plus two resistors in one IEM?

This is the schematic I have for the build. Changing the resistor from 25ohms to 50ohms
clip_image001.jpg
I go with ceramic caps. They are actually the best as Nobium have higher tolerance going up to 20% and I dont like tantalum's interference at breaking omega point.

For resistor, I use precision wirewound as they add a subtle flavour and makes the background blacker. Wirewound kinda eats noise. Metal foil/film would be for brilliance in treble region.

And yes, the type of component do make a huge difference. Predicted impedance was same with different type of component having same value but what was changed was Doppler distortion and THD at the region of where the zobel is affecting.

And the best part of BS6 is that its peak is in region of near ~1kHz. So having a zobel fixes the 1kHz distortion .

@Xymordos they denied my request for planar driver sample. Asking another seller

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #9,843 of 16,025
I go with ceramic caps. They are actually the best as Nobium have higher tolerance going up to 20% and I dont like tantalum's interference at breaking omega point.

For resistor, I use precision wirewound as they add a subtle flavour and makes the background blacker. Wirewound kinda eats noise. Metal foil/film would be for brilliance in treble region.

And yes, the type of component do make a huge difference. Predicted impedance was same with different type of component having same value but what was changed was Doppler distortion and THD at the region of where the zobel is affecting.

And the best part of BS6 is that its peak is in region of near ~1kHz. So having a zobel fixes the 1kHz distortion .

@Xymordos they denied my request for planar driver sample. Asking another seller

I think they got a lot of big customers now like AAW and Meze and aren't bothered to do small sales anymore. I doubt they'll sell them to me if I asked them again actually, they were pretty reluctant the last time I asked.

Wirewound resistors are quite expensive o.o

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #9,844 of 16,025
I think they got a lot of big customers now like AAW and Meze and aren't bothered to do small sales anymore. I doubt they'll sell them to me if I asked them again actually, they were pretty reluctant the last time I asked.

Wirewound resistors are quite expensive o.o
Well, that's sad.

Yup, wirewound are expensive but are worth it. Wirewound kinda act like an inductor (even though scientifically engineers have reached zero inductance ). It kinda restrict HF micropeaks to happen(like small zig zagish thing on uncompensated FR). It smoothens out instruments and has a blacker space kinda feeling.

Resistor in passive networks(cross and normal circuits) do make a huge difference in sound. Its not technically huge but is discernable from ears.

Wire wound - Smoother, organic tone and blackest space
Metal foil - Brilliant, detailed and have a good black background
Metal film - SuperBrilliant and is slightly noiser(this resistor is transparent)
Carbon resistor - Warmer, good for bass point cross or zobel. It makes treble muddier . distorted background
Carbon film - warm, smooth and velvety background. Noise is least offensive, hissing is tonally warm and bearable by ear.(you may enjoy the hissing/sensitivity as its not sharp like transparent resistor or it is distorted and rough like carbon)

Still, wirewound is really good

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #9,845 of 16,025
Well, that's sad.

Yup, wirewound are expensive but are worth it. Wirewound kinda act like an inductor (even though scientifically engineers have reached zero inductance ). It kinda restrict HF micropeaks to happen(like small zig zagish thing on uncompensated FR). It smoothens out instruments and has a blacker space kinda feeling.

Resistor in passive networks(cross and normal circuits) do make a huge difference in sound. Its not technically huge but is discernable from ears.

Wire wound - Smoother, organic tone and blackest space
Metal foil - Brilliant, detailed and have a good black background
Metal film - SuperBrilliant and is slightly noiser(this resistor is transparent)
Carbon resistor - Warmer, good for bass point cross or zobel. It makes treble muddier . distorted background
Carbon film - warm, smooth and velvety background. Noise is least offensive, hissing is tonally warm and bearable by ear.(you may enjoy the hissing/sensitivity as its not sharp like transparent resistor or it is distorted and rough like carbon)

Still, wirewound is really good

Are thick/thin film resistors counted as metal films? Space within shells are quite a premium so I think I'll stick to smaller ones :p

Aug 20, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #9,847 of 16,025
Sorry, to make it clear:
1. x5r is a type of dielectric, while it does not have thermal stability of COG or x7r capacitors, it does the trick - google: 0805 22uf x5r for examples/pricing
2. I used x2 50Ohm resistors in parallel, giving 25Ohm resistance but this approach also improves wattage (x2) and tolerance (I think I used 1% resistors)
3. Sorry, don't see the image you attached but @eunice posted schematics in this thread and it is available on soundlink's AE page.

Thank you for the reply brother @Ivan TT

I get it now. It has been a minute since a mess around with electronics since I started working with software integration. I think this was the last piece to complete my shopping list. I have created a list with all the materials that I think I may need to build an IEM, from DIY impression to drivers. Where can I post my list? This thread is for DIY-IEMs should I do it here or start a new one? I would love your guy's input.

Thanks
Freddy

Here is the image again
HTB1q7LKTzTpK1RjSZKPq6y3UpXa7.jpg

Aug 20, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #9,848 of 16,025
Thank you for the reply brother @Ivan TT

I get it now. It has been a minute since a mess around with electronics since I started working with software integration. I think this was the last piece to complete my shopping list. I have created a list with all the materials that I think I may need to build an IEM, from DIY impression to drivers. Where can I post my list? This thread is for DIY-IEMs should I do it here or start a new one? I would love your guy's input.

Thanks
Freddy

Here is the image again
HTB1q7LKTzTpK1RjSZKPq6y3UpXa7.jpg
Its a choice.
You can do it here
Or
If you start a new thread, do post a link here.

Let's see how the journey goes of you building your set.

By the way @Ivan TT
Can you help me with ED29689 zobel since I have ran out of ED.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #9,850 of 16,025
Quick question, what equipment do you use for measuring SPL? And how to set up. I’m considering buying a measuring set, any suggestion?

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #9,851 of 16,025
Aug 22, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #9,852 of 16,025
Sonion 2015 - Knowles CI
Sonion 2095 - vented 2015
Sonion 2323 - Knowles ED
Sonion 2389 - Hotter 2323(treble hot)
Sonion 2354 - warmer 2323(vented)
Sonion 2600/2800 - DTEC, TEC, BK etc
Sonion 3300 - HODTEC
Sonion 3800 - HODVTEC
Sonion e25 - WBFK
Sonion e50 - SWFK
Sonion e40 - GD
Sonion e50high impedance - GR

These are not complete alternative but usage alternative

Aug 22, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #9,853 of 16,025

Attachments

• IMG20190822140718.jpg
    IMG20190822140718.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 22, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #9,854 of 16,025
Is there a way to get the damper removal tool (or equivalent) in EU? Or do I need to wait for one to arrive from China?
Screenshot_20190822-173359__01.jpg

Aug 22, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #9,855 of 16,025
Is there a way to get the damper removal tool (or equivalent) in EU? Or do I need to wait for one to arrive from China?

Actually, yes. You can use a long 15mm MacBook Pro (non Retina) bottom case screw. However, before doing this, you need to file it a little bit. Be careful, not too deep. It will work.

IMG_20190822_205528.jpg IMG_20190822_205350-2.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.png
    image.png
  • image.png
    image.png

Users who are viewing this thread