Home-Made IEMs
Aug 23, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #9,856 of 15,910
This is for those who have access to Sonion drivers.
I have some new Sonion 2389D(Dual driver). This is the best midrange and upper midrange/lower treble driver ever made period.

I recently helped my friend build a pair as a true successor to Savant.

Build

Sonion 2389D(internal parallel) + 22ohms
Knowles ED30761

same as the savant tubing and damper

U-pad
R parallel or R2 = 50ohms
R series or R1 = 3ohms

Balanced%20U%20Pad.png

i just used google images

hot is +
cold is -

well, its balanced so polarity doesn't matter. For those who are just new to Fixed impedance attenuating circuit, the driver first interact with parallel resistor to drop all impedance peak and rising response down to flat, and then series resistor to actually compensate the impedance loss
it provides constant load to amplifier

for this circuit, this is 4db attenuation with 20.44ohms flat impedance all over the place

this works like a charm

20.44ohm resistance(its same impedance for all frequency) with ~110dB of sensitivity

Attenuation pads are amazing if damping factor is kept low. They keep the FR intact and also eats up noise, distortion etc.

They also linearizes impedance and phase plot while keeping the required impedance we want

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #9,857 of 15,910
Hello everyone,
is there a compendium somewhere with high-end designs?
I looked around but there is so much informations on the forum.
Designs i found on google seems more like headphones designs.
Trying to find some good 8+ BA designs for ciems :)
(and also trying to know if i can use the parts i bought 3years ago or if need all new parts).
Cheers

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #9,859 of 15,910
This is what I can offer: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/page-636#post-15051126

Mind you the 2 driver finale beats most multi driver setups right out of the park. Driver count is not your friend :)

I don’t think the parts age, except the resin and the glues of course, if not stored properly.

Thanks for the link, will give it a look :)
My parts were knowlers gk-31732-000, knowles bf-1861-000
Apparently those are good quality parts, or at least they were :D

Hum, from what i understood more drivers allow for more headroom.

My reference point hardware wise is kind of low (bose qc35II). Tried to replace those by the new sony wf-1000x m3, i was not impressed :D
But as for experiences i am looking for a good stage feeling (do a lot of festivals) with a lot of headroom for the bass (mostly listen to hardcore so lots of bass ahah).

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #9,861 of 15,910
Could anyone show me the different between RAB-32257 with back vent covered and uncoverd. And how do they compared with RAB-32033?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #9,862 of 15,910
Hello everyone,
is there a compendium somewhere with high-end designs?
I looked around but there is so much informations on the forum.
Designs i found on google seems more like headphones designs.
Trying to find some good 8+ BA designs for ciems :)
(and also trying to know if i can use the parts i bought 3years ago or if need all new parts).
Cheers
Q1. What all drivers do you have?
Q2. Are you really willing to buy new drivers?

Answer these first..... And I will give you the recipie

See, 8 driver on 3way cross is easy

The thing is that if you can really get the drivers.

Woofer : Sonion 38D1XJ007Mi/8a (internal series)
Mid range : DWFK 31785 x 2 parallel
Tweeter : SWFK 31736 or EST65DA01

And if you really want to go really super High end. And I mean the top of chart

Go for
MASM 3 + Sonion 33AJ007i/8 + SWFK32255
Quad bore

I can help in that too

But the best sound might still go to Final 2 and Final 3(Sonion 2389D(its a dual driver) + ED30761....no crossover)

And yes, the design I recently shared is the Final 3

Keeping the heritage of nice impedance, easy to make and super detailed sound with nice touch of bass.....Kobe style

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #9,863 of 15,910
The simplest and best build for you is the BS6 + Zobel. It has the punchiest bass of all the recipes I have built so far. You’ll need nothing else on a festival stage.

By festival stage i meant that i go to festival, to listen to music, not to be on the scene myself :wink:
Hence why i want a wide stage feeling for the drivers.

Q1. What all drivers do you have?
Q2. Are you really willing to buy new drivers?

Answer these first..... And I will give you the recipie

See, 8 driver on 3way cross is easy

The thing is that if you can really get the drivers.

Woofer : Sonion 38D1XJ007Mi/8a (internal series)
Mid range : DWFK 31785 x 2 parallel
Tweeter : SWFK 31736 or EST65DA01

And if you really want to go really super High end. And I mean the top of chart

Go for
MASM 3 + Sonion 33AJ007i/8 + SWFK32255
Quad bore

I can help in that too

But the best sound might still go to Final 2 and Final 3(Sonion 2389D(its a dual driver) + ED30761....no crossover)

And yes, the design I recently shared is the Final 3

Keeping the heritage of nice impedance, easy to make and super detailed sound with nice touch of bass.....Kobe style

Only drivers i currently have are knowles gk-31732-000.
I don't mind buying new ones, money is not an issue here.
Hum, i will read more documentation this weekend, i don't remember what the crossovers are four.

Is it usefull to have multiple tunnels for the audio exit ?
I've seen some customs that combine the exits of the drivers, the other don't seem to do that.

Why sonion by the way ?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #9,864 of 15,910
It’s not only the wide stage you want, it’s also the punch. PA systems have a certain signature that is not like typical HiFi audio sound. BS6 matches that pretty close, I can just repeat my suggestion to start with that - or another well known recipe.

Y tubing is very hard to do in DIY, as it’s very hard to do consistently. After all you need at least two that sound the same, otherwise you’ll end up with an asymmetrical sound stage. I am currently investigating Y tubing with a resin 3D printer, but I have not yet produced anything usable. But I will share when I get there. Maybe others have a recipe, but trust me: start easy. It gets complicated soon enough and it’s more enjoyable start with a success

Aug 23, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #9,865 of 15,910
By festival stage i meant that i go to festival, to listen to music, not to be on the scene myself :wink:
Hence why i want a wide stage feeling for the drivers.

Only drivers i currently have are knowles gk-31732-000.
I don't mind buying new ones, money is not an issue here.
Hum, i will read more documentation this weekend, i don't remember what the crossovers are four.

Is it usefull to have multiple tunnels for the audio exit ?
I've seen some customs that combine the exits of the drivers, the other don't seem to do that.

Why sonion by the way ?
Sonion makes some driver which are technically and theoretically unmatched
The woofer 38D1XJ007 for example

Second, multiple exit makes the acoustic vibration isolated which help in particle theory of sound. Mixing tube needs adjustment as we can mess the phase, space, time or particular particle vibrations.

You can make the MASM 4 though.

It has enough punch to knock you down even in festivals if you use RAB32033. I prefer RAB32063.

Its simple, treble is technically without peak and also doesn't roll off. Bass is from CI driver

You won't need anything actually....after that. And I am also helping you on saving cost.

If you need more dynamic level of punchiness, go for BS6Z or MASM7(7 transducer/drivers no need for manual crossover or multiple tubes, 2 tubes is what you need)

Simplest 7 driver setup and also easy to scale design up

The whole MASM series is modular... So if you have MASM 4, you can add drivers and easily make your own iteration of it.

Actually I try to make my design modular(i was spoilt by @eunice as he was the one experimenting with Final series. Since then, my main series are all modular)

Well wait

Final series was meant to be damper less for main driver...so Final 3 is still in pseudo stage

I am still finding a driver to do my magical work

Or otherwise I will use 2x FED30048 in parallel and then calculate the new resistance needed to drop it back to original value and then use it with 3D printed tube adapter.

@eunice do read above, as I have updated that line.
Sometimes, misunderstanding happens

....I meant to say that I was spoilt after seeing you experiment which lead to me doing a modular series

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #9,866 of 15,910
This is for those who have access to Sonion drivers.
I have some new Sonion 2389D(Dual driver). This is the best midrange and upper midrange/lower treble driver ever made period.

I recently helped my friend build a pair as a true successor to Savant.

Build

Sonion 2389D(internal parallel) + 22ohms
Knowles ED30761

same as the savant tubing and damper

U-pad
R parallel or R2 = 50ohms
R series or R1 = 3ohms

Balanced%20U%20Pad.png

i just used google images

hot is +
cold is -

well, its balanced so polarity doesn't matter. For those who are just new to Fixed impedance attenuating circuit, the driver first interact with parallel resistor to drop all impedance peak and rising response down to flat, and then series resistor to actually compensate the impedance loss
it provides constant load to amplifier

for this circuit, this is 4db attenuation with 22.31ohms flat impedance all over the place

this works like a charm

20.44ohm resistance(its same impedance for all frequency) with ~110dB of sensitivity

Attenuation pads are amazing if damping factor is kept low. They keep the FR intact and also eats up noise, distortion etc.

They also linearizes impedance and phase plot while keeping the required impedance we want
Hey @dhruvmeena96, where the heck do you find those exotic Sonion drivers. I’ve been searching taobao & ali for hours without any luck. So can I use normal sonion 2389 or even ED 29689 to compensate for it?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #9,867 of 15,910
Hey @dhruvmeena96, where the heck do you find those exotic Sonion drivers. I’ve been searching taobao & ali for hours without any luck. So can I use normal sonion 2389 or even ED 29689 to compensate for it?
Dual 2389 is 2389D

Its just that 2389D has shared single spout.

Yes you can use dual driver with tube stretched over two spout method.

Yes, you can also use ED29689 but I recommend Sonion 2389

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #9,868 of 15,910
4322-004-F0473082.jpg

Acoustic filters typically used in air-handling systems.
(A) and (B) Low-pass filters; Something used in RAB-p and MASM
(C) a high-pass filter;
(D) a band-pass filter, which actually filters out vibrations within a narrow frequency range

well, i am now working on single Driver RAB again
but this time

It will have
1. 3kHz Controlled Dampening resonator(using dampers) like (D).
2. 6kHz Assisted Tube controlled cancelling(using dampers) like ripple damping or Makoto Yamagishi sensei concept.
3. Acoustic low pass resonator like (A) and (B).
4. Stepped Horn.
5. Two staged zobel to make impedance and phase flat.

combining Resonator damper with Assisted tube cancelling schema balances each other cons out

the assisted tube canceller kinda creates a peak at 3kHz, which the Band-pass resonator suppresses and the air column sound is suppressed by assisted tube.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back