Home-Made IEMs
Jul 8, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #9,526 of 15,974
My two cents: Start with BS6 + Zobel.
It’s easier to build and it has been verified by many in this thread. I will build MASM 7 soon and I will report if it’s worth building.

Usually @dhruvmeena96 is spot on in his descriptions, but it’s not always easy to replicate his results.

So as a newbie, definitively go for a simple and proven build that is well described. Either MASM 3 pro if you like a treble-y signature or BS6 + Zobel if you want a nice bass (it has nice treble too).

If money is not an issue you can also build Finale 2, (ED+FED) it’s just a little lacking in bass but has the best resolution of all the recipes I have built so far. Drivers are expensive though and tubing is not easy.

Thank you for your reply

I have built the MASM pro (320033) and resonator. I’m not shure what MASM 3 pro is? There are so many names an configurations around here my head is spinning... looking forward to your impressions on the MASM7. I’ll go ahead and order another pair of 320033’s just in case...
I have not been looking at the Finale builds jet. The scary build is up next. I don’t find the building part that hard actually. But understanding the crossovers, tubings and BA configurations is nearly impossible for me... that’s why it would be helpful with some sketches...

Jul 8, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #9,527 of 15,974
MASM 3 pro is RAB32033 + GQ + Resonator, so that is what you have built. Earlier it was called MASM v2 with resonator. Now it is called MASM 3 pro. @dhruvmeena96 tried to give everything a consistent naming scheme and he has renamed everything. But we are talking about the same setup.

I did not like the scary at all, the mids are just off, it is too much V shaped for my taste. I do know that some people love this signature, but it is absolutely not my cup of tea.

The BS6 + Zobel Sketch is in the soundlink product Description for the BS6.

Here are updated schematics for my most important builds:

Masm 3 pro https://crcit.net/c/4c8ad023

BS6 + Zobel https://crcit.net/c/49f54ed9

Finale 2 Reference CIEM https://crcit.net/c/7d75c8a5

Finale 3 CIEM https://crcit.net/c/bd30416c

Comparison MASM with resonator vs BS6 (and others): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/page-603#post-14961816

Comparison Finale 2 Reference, Finale 3, BS6: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/home-made-iems.430688/page-627#post-15023250

MASM 3, AKA MASM v2 + resonator

MASM3 Pro.png

bs6 + zobel
BS6 with Zobel.png

Finale 2 reference CIEM
Finale 2 Reference CIEM.png

Finale 3 CIEM
Finale 3 CI.png

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #9,528 of 15,974
I spent the last hours testing three different pair of CIEM.

Setup

DAC/AMP: Audio-GD NFB-11, Dragonfly Black, iPhone with stock 3.5mm adapter

CIEMs: 4x RAF-32873 series with Zobel (design by @Ivan TT ), MASM v2 with resonator (design by @dhruvmeena96 ) , Bellsing 6 with Zobel 22uF + 25 Ohm (zobel by @Ivan TT )

Reference: Sennheiser IE80s with InAir tips, Sennheiser HD650

Whisky: Laphroaig 18yrs.

Conclusion first:

Best bass and overall performance: Bellsing 6.
Best mids and winner for classical music: 4xRAF, but only with a very good amp.
Best highs highs and best soundstage: MASM v2, but occasionaly shouty and not flattering to some voices

Detailed writeup:

4xRAF

Build: $32 for the drivers, but very hard to build. The build looks easier than it is, I lost 3 drivers in the process. That build was a lot of swearing.

Driveability: The iPhone is not able to drive the 4xRAF properly, even the dragonfly is struggling a little, but it sounds great with the NFB-11.

Sound:
Classical music is exceptionally good on the 4xRAF, "Samson et Dalila, Op 47: Bacchanale" https://tidal.com/track/65160315 or Richard Straus https://tidal.com/track/65160315 sounds best on 4xRAF, by far. Even when the entire orchestra is playing, you can still make out individual instruments and soundstage stayd intact. Phenomenal, even beating the HD650 in some recordings.

However, the 4xRAF is not very precise in the highs and in the bass. There seem to be peeks, valleys and resonances on both ends of the spectrum. In some electronic music basslines some of the notes jump at you while others get muted, for example Stimming the Origin https://tidal.com/track/20484043 is very annoying to listen to.

Same with vocals, some voices stay intact, others get colored. e.g. Billie Eilish sounds great but Haley Reinhard or Roisin Murphy sound a little thin. E-Guitars get the "thin" treatment too (Billy Talent - Red Flag)

Conclusion: Nothing for on-the-go, because it's hard to drive. Phenomenally good for classical music and a coin-flip for everything else.

MASM v2

Build: ~$70 for the drivers. The build looks harder than it is, some wiring and a zobel and you're done. Tubing is easy with two separate drivers.

Driveability: Easy to drive, no problem to use from iPhone.

Sound:

Soundstage and air is phenomenal. However the signature is clearly tilted towards presence, imaging and soundstage. I grew up with the Sennheiser signature, so this is not my personal preference.

Electronic music sounds great, club-tracks sound like on a big open-air PA system, Jazz sounds great too.

However, some things do not sound good. Amy Whinehouse for example sounds tinny, and in classical music the soundstage breaks down if there's a lot going on. If it fails, then the highs get shouty and distorted. Sometimes to the point that they hurt.

Conclusion: Great if you love soundstage and presence paired with a great bass and don't mind the occasional shouty highs.

Bellsing 6

Build: $60 - $90 for the drivers, Soundlink varies pricing a lot. Build is quite easy - less wiring than the MASM but you have to stretch a tube over two nozzles.

Driveability: Very very easy to drive. Sounds good with everything you throw at it.

Sound:

Best bass and in my opinion the best balance of all the three. Amy Whinehouse sounds best on these, by far. Even better than on the HD650. Highs are very good too, not as good as the MASM but always pleasing.

The Bellsing 6 is behind the MASM v2 in soundstage and highs and behind the 4xRAF in classical music. But in contrast to the other two, it always sounds good. It never colors voices as much as the MASM 4xRAF and it never becomes annoying in the highs as the MASMv2 sometimes does.

Conclusion: Very warm set with a phenomenal bass. Slight weaknesses in the mids but a great soundstage although not as good as the MASM. Sounds good or great with absolutely everything I tried.
This is the first set I prefer over the Sennheiser for the range of music that I like.
Why did I never noticed this review.(well I did, that I noticed recently lol)

Well if I explain the MASM7
It is BS6zobel + MASM3 to be easy

It has best of both world.
No cons so far
If I go with his explanation and listen to Amy whinehouse, it has this detail retrieval of MASM 3 series but at same time has more hefty and dynamic bass presence.

More of Balanced v shape. But this v shape is more balanced and peak less and tends toward the MASM3 for vocal presentation

It is like HD600(BS6) and Focal Elex(MASM7)

Both have same type of low end and mids, but Elex has more detail retrieval and more intimacy to soundstage limit

Jul 8, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #9,529 of 15,974
Thank you for your reply

I have built the MASM pro (320033) and resonator. I’m not shure what MASM 3 pro is? There are so many names an configurations around here my head is spinning... looking forward to your impressions on the MASM7. I’ll go ahead and order another pair of 320033’s just in case...
I have not been looking at the Finale builds jet. The scary build is up next. I don’t find the building part that hard actually. But understanding the crossovers, tubings and BA configurations is nearly impossible for me... that’s why it would be helpful with some sketches...
MASM(series name)
<number>(number of drivers)
Pro(MASM series suffix) or ultimate(pro series suffix), enhanced, reference, excite , spark, rebirth , legend(type of sound)

MASM is DIY open version of Pro series lineup I am going to make soon as my venture

Pro will have higher calibration to all point accuracy in FR, higher quality parts, some patent coating, better ergonomic shells with proof certificate and best of accessories

Single driver series
Pro 1(RAB32033-p) - enjoyment single driver, monitor tending
Pro 1 equilibrium(RAB32063-p) - balanced sound, monitoring
Pro 1reference(RAF-p + 20ohms) - reference near diffuse field with no roll off bass
Pro 1 mk2 (RAB32066-p) - high impedance zero damper solution sound
Pro 1 ultimate(FFC-p) -ferrofluid controlled damperless driver config and custom Zobel .
Final 1 - etymotic style shell but with FED driver , spout and limitless treble extension and no roll off.

Dual driver
Pro 2- Savant pro is also a second name,better subbass and less veil compared to original savant
Pro 2 signature(GQ-p) - uses GQ30710 with RAB-p horn, sounds more airy and bassy compared to RAB-p or Pro1 series. Signature term was used as that was my signature sound and where I started
Final 2 - also known as savant finale, this is where the quest for dual driver really ends. Crazy enough detail to make mind boggle, it is just about details and it measures near to savant also, but 5x times details, stage and image.
Details make bass less noticeable also

3 drivers or more

MASM series - linear bass to treble extension, least amount of peaks and all details, for mastering or critical listening.

Final 3 conventional - Final 2 with CI

Final 3 mk2- FED30048 and dual high inductance RAB

Jul 8, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #9,533 of 15,974
There is a recipe for finale 3 (it’s a finale 2 + a CI) but it’s very very hard to build. You need 3 tubes (2mm ID for ED and FED each and 1mmID for CI) and the CI has 3 dampers in a 1mm tube, that means you need to put 3 short pieces of 2mm tubes with the damper inside and the rest of the tubing is 1mmID.
And the CI is still changing the mids of the Finale too much for my taste.

It’s not like throwing a new driver in and everything will be fine. All BA drivers are full range and with a crossover you introduce phase issues, cancellations and so on.
Nah actually he can buy small size dampers...but they are hard to remove, so its a choice

Jul 8, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #9,534 of 15,974
Hi, I'm currently in the process of building my first IEMs for which I am using the Knowles GK-31732 drivers. I ordered a bunch of different dampers, what would be the best combination of dampers for this driver? Thank you

This is @dhruvmeena96 suggestion:
I use green on CI(center of tube) and brown on TWFK(on 3/4 lenght away from spout)

My suggestion is to use two tubes and put the dampers at the tip so you can add/remove them after you have assembled your IEM. That way you can easily experiment. I think it needs to be damped a little more, but I never really liked the GK any way.

Jul 8, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #9,535 of 15,974
Jul 8, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #9,536 of 15,974
Jul 9, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #9,537 of 15,974
Hmmm
@eunice

Do you find MASM sibilant.
Changing grey filter to above value may decrease sibilance

You may be treble sensitive.

@Xymordos
You have ED29689 zobel
Is it tested....

And 48uF is too high for capacitance, dont you think

And One more thing

MASM legend(MASM 3 with SWFK 32255) sounds better than Final series as a overall sound

Final still is undefeatable in mid range detail

Jul 9, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #9,538 of 15,974
Hmmm
@eunice

@Xymordos
You have ED29689 zobel
Is it tested....

And 48uF is too high for capacitance, dont you think

I'm not sure if my zobel calculations are correct haha, but I do know that ED29689 is 1mh at 20Hz (0.2mh at half coil).

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #9,539 of 15,974
I'm not sure if my zobel calculations are correct haha, but I do know that ED29689 is 1mh at 20Hz (0.2mh at half coil).
Then I will go with this
Well did you calculate the inductance

If it is true, then this might work amazing

Add a 20ohm resistor

Then add zobel

1.13uF cap
30ohm resistor

ED29689 -> resistor -> zobel

If going for er4s diy 1kHz 100ohms(exact)

Then

0.064uF
125 ohms

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #9,540 of 15,974
Then I will go with this
Well did you calculate the inductance

If it is true, then this might work amazing

No, someone actually sent me the inductance table here for 29689 a long time ago...but I forgot who...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back