Home-Made IEMs
Jul 9, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #9,541 of 15,996
Hmmm
@eunice

Do you find MASM sibilant.
Changing grey filter to above value may decrease sibilance

You may be treble sensitive.

I would not call it sibilant, but just short of sibilant. Only in some source material I would say it becomes sibilant, e.g. in classical music with a lot going on at the same time the highs definitively become shouty.

It is a very good set, but when it is pushed to its limits the treble is too much and starts to hurt.

If the BS6+Zobel is pushed to its limits the soundstage breaks down and it does not become annoying.

Could you give us s full recipe for MASM 3 legend? Do you replace the RAB with the SWFK?

Jul 9, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #9,542 of 15,996
I would not call it sibilant, but just short of sibilant. Only in some source material I would say it becomes sibilant, e.g. in classical music with a lot going on at the same time the highs definitively become shouty.

It is a very good set, but when it is pushed to its limits the treble is too much and starts to hurt.

If the BS6+Zobel is pushed to its limits the soundstage breaks down and it does not become annoying.

Could you give us s full recipe for MASM 3 legend? Do you replace the RAB with the SWFK?
RAB remains there, it is to make the treble not roll off

RAB and SWFK share the tubing

I am using 1uF for SWFK crossover

You can go lower

The SWFK used is SWFK32255

And it is MASM 3 normal(32033) with SWFK
It might be MASM 5 legend

New tuning parameters

GQ center damper grey can be increased till you get zero sibilance from all music type you listen(I though I nailed the treble as all of my music type is non sibilant)
White will be enough

Then use SWFK32255 with custom capacitor value according to tastes again.

Warning: dont use other SWFK, otherwise you can get ear damage by high frequency sibilance(lol)
Tried and its unbearable

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #9,551 of 15,996
@Xymordos

That zobel kinda works actually.

But I have this issue with treble being somewhat weird
If I add a 20ohm and then make a zobel, it works nicely.

But I think RAB still wins for the sound it offers after zobel.

I have to see the fine tuned value for ED29689 zobel

That's good to know :p Did you try a white damper? Also aren't you using it with a SWFK driver? Personally I might roll off the high treble with a first order low pass and let the SWFK take over. I didn't do it on the RAB since the RAB's treble extension is much less than the 29689.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #9,552 of 15,996
That's good to know :p Did you try a white damper? Also aren't you using it with a SWFK driver? Personally I might roll off the high treble with a first order low pass and let the SWFK take over. I didn't do it on the RAB since the RAB's treble extension is much less than the 29689.
For CI, ED and SWFK

I think I might use SWFK32254(so dampers are unneeded)
For CI and ED

I might see

I was thinking of using HE for a moment though
Knowles HE and SWFK

MASM legend update for perfect never hot treble

GQ grey damper swapped with brown.

More smoother and flatter treble

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #9,553 of 15,996
They look very good for first timer(I always fail at shells though)

By the way, amazing driver to start with

Actually this driver can reach bigger stage than GK with some tube hacks

This post was a little while ago but I would love to hear how you got the best out of this driver, what do you suggest doing?
In case you cant remember it was the RAB-32257
Cheers.

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #9,554 of 15,996
This post was a little while ago but I would love to hear how you got the best out of this driver, what do you suggest doing?
In case you cant remember it was the RAB-32257
Cheers.
Well i was trying to disturb the balance of soundstage and image and actually made it very large sounding at expense of imaging

That was later made RAB-p after some tuning etc which sounds very nice

You can try RAB-p/pro 1 tubing, damper and zobel in custom iem shell.

The tubing consist of Horn and mouth.

The mouth act as a resonator and shifts the response of 3kHz peak 150Hz back.

Horn helps the treble to gain some boosting as RAB are weaker than ED in treble department.

White damper or brown damper(according to taste)

Zobel helps deloading the driver by fixing its impedance ratio, electrical phase. This makes it more easier to drive, stresses the amp less, which leads to less distortion. It also helps with selection of amplifier(due to very low impedance swings). Noticeable sound difference of zobel are:
1. Better mid clarity.
2. Effortlessness type of feeling
3. Better staging and imaging
4. Better treble shaping.

But Zobel are like garnishing or icing on cake. The major difference comes from tubing and damper arrangement. Zobel effects are very much noticeable but it doesnt change the signature..

@wardy

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #9,555 of 15,996
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back