Home-Made IEMs
Jun 19, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #9,332 of 15,995
Does anyone know where I could get the Sonion electrostatic tweeter? I can't seem to find any source yet. And what is the price for a pair?

Jun 19, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #9,334 of 15,995
It's your work, you name it. I'ld prefer a reference to an earlier name for those catching up on this thread, that's why I think "finale 2" is a good name, as the previous version has been called that. But it's your baby, you name it :)
Well, you named MASM

And I like Finale

Finale series

Finale 1 - project coming soon(damper less, self damping structure... Patent)

Dual RAB, new way of making dual RAB

Finale 2 - sonion 2354 and ED30761

Finale 2 reference - FED and ED30761

Finale 3 - Finale 2 with CI22955

Pro 1 - RAB-p 32033

Pro 1 ultimate - FFC 26795 + resonator + horn(zobel is in work)

Pro 2- GQ30710 + resonator + horn(zobel is in work)

Ultimate series - MASM series

Ultimate reference - RAB 32063
Ultimate balanced - RAB 32033
Ultimate spark - RAB 32257
Ultimate exite - RAF
Ultimate flagship - RAB 32033 + resonator

Well, I am starting a company soon now

Name of company would be Reference Acoustics Labs(RAL) with my friend here.

Jun 19, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #9,336 of 15,995
you called it that (most amazing set for mom), I just used it as a title. You shortened it to MASM. I would not name one of your projects, I do respect your work :)
Its okay....you can

MASM is still one of the greatest name. It sounds cool

Ultimate series would be different from MASM with some slight electrical and tuning.. I mean slight but noticeable

You all guys can name DIY projects anything you want. Seriously I dont have any issues. It would save me time actually and make chatting and discussion much easier with abbreviated names. I am bad at making names

Finale 3 update

Jackson Wang oxygen DSD, neurochrome HP1 amplifier low gain, JDS labs element DAC.

Godly soudstage, Godly image. This thing can really portray the hollowness. Its like listening to the black space, recording echoes, synthesizer shifts

Speechless(Naomi Scott)
I am speechless. The vocals are just out of world by FED. FED or ferrofluid drivers are the diamonds of Knowles. I think if you offer me sonion EST and FED, I would take FED any day.

FED mids are just crazy.

14mm planar, Stax SR009 and my Audeze LCD4 cannot reach this crazy mid detail. Her voice, breathing, vibrato....I mean everything sounds so nice and at the same time. I think j can hear multiple details at the same time.

This feeling last came when I equalised my KZ ES4 to utter flat etymotic er4 like(crinacle graph as reference) and less 2kHz and 4kHz. Multiple Instruments and vocal in same time. But FED outclassed my ES4 in the crazy details

Finale 3 is crazy

Finale 4 would be Finale 3 with EST and a calculated high pass

@eunice

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #9,337 of 15,995
I am currently building Finale 3, since I really like Finale 2. It is crazy good, but I made a small mistake in the tubing, it's not sealed so I hear a plopping noise every now and then. Turns out just pulling the tube around the driver and applying some glue is not enough, you have to seal with glue. Otherwise the pressure differential that can build up in a CIEM while listening can create a plopping sound.

Anyway, the FED drivers really do open another level. If I may use a TV comparison: BS6+Zobel is the one with intense and vibrant colours you immediately notice in the shopping window. Finale 2 in comparison is not as intense, not as bright but as soon as you look closely you see the colors are much more natural and precise. The BS6 + Zobel is still very good, so vibrant and so much fun, but it's just a tad bit over emphasizing certain aspects.

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #9,338 of 15,995
Its okay....you can

MASM is still one of the greatest name. It sounds cool

Ultimate series would be different from MASM with some slight electrical and tuning.. I mean slight but noticeable

You all guys can name DIY projects anything you want. Seriously I dont have any issues. It would save me time actually and make chatting and discussion much easier with abbreviated names. I am bad at making names

Finale 3 update

Jackson Wang oxygen DSD, neurochrome HP1 amplifier low gain, JDS labs element DAC.

Godly soudstage, Godly image. This thing can really portray the hollowness. Its like listening to the black space, recording echoes, synthesizer shifts

Speechless(Naomi Scott)
I am speechless. The vocals are just out of world by FED. FED or ferrofluid drivers are the diamonds of Knowles. I think if you offer me sonion EST and FED, I would take FED any day.

FED mids are just crazy.

14mm planar, Stax SR009 and my Audeze LCD4 cannot reach this crazy mid detail. Her voice, breathing, vibrato....I mean everything sounds so nice and at the same time. I think j can hear multiple details at the same time.

This feeling last came when I equalised my KZ ES4 to utter flat etymotic er4 like(crinacle graph as reference) and less 2kHz and 4kHz. Multiple Instruments and vocal in same time. But FED outclassed my ES4 in the crazy details

Finale 3 is crazy

Finale 4 would be Finale 3 with EST and a calculated high pass

@eunice

Ooh, where did you get your FED drivers, I'd like to try playing around with them. They aren't available on mouser.

Jun 20, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #9,341 of 15,995
Ooh, where did you get your FED drivers, I'd like to try playing around with them. They aren't available on mouser.
Mouser has a stock of 4 drivers, I bought all of them.
They have ordered 4 more as per their website.
Are there any good alternatives to ARTA + LIMP?
I use RoomEqWizard and I like it.

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #9,343 of 15,995
Mouser has a stock of 4 drivers, I bought all of them.
They have ordered 4 more as per their website.

I use RoomEqWizard and I like it.

The heck, why do they only stock 4 at a time LOL

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #9,344 of 15,995
The heck, why do they only stock 4 at a time LOL
https://www.i-components.com/components/Knowles/FED-30048-I04.html

http://www.seltech-international.com/fed-30048-i04

Ask these guys...they have all drivers

Experimenting with Knowles EJ-23026

It is a dual ED single spout driver which has a frequency response like ED29689.

I will break its series connection, make it parallel, then Add a 50 ohm resistor.

Tubing would be 2mm ID(8.5mm length) with green damper after 6mm lenght

Since etymotic calculated impedance at 500Hz, 50ohms makes sense.

I will see what happens if we have a dual driver etymotic style sound

Other project is revisiting dual RAB(@Ivan TT do read this)

Dual parallel zobel

The config is divided in five parts, and is still simple to make(intermediate level)

I will send schematics by today

But here is the theory

Two RAB will fire in resonator at different tube length, so they cancel 6kHz(wavelength reversing tube length) in ripple effect.

Then inside that same resonator, a small tube will be extend out and fire inside the same resonator to kill 3kHz peak at reduced strength

Then the whole sound would be collected inside another resonator and then fired to a horn structure.

1. Frequency dependent inverting driver topology

2. Frequency dependent inverting variable length tubing topology

3. Buffer resonator

4. Muffling resonator

5. Stepped horn

Best part is no damper, and due to variable length tubing and variable driver length, intended frequency do cancel, and the other frequency gets time delay, which increases the sense of space and out of world soundstage

Upping the game.....of homemade IEM

@eunice
@Xymordos
@Choy Wei De
@DannyBouwhuis
@ForceMajeure
@IvanNOON

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #9,345 of 15,995
I want to thank everyone, because I learned a lot from you, and today I want to share, a measuring instrument that I created myself, an EMI meter, I hope to help everyone, just as you help me, I use the Smaart program and capito to sound with Pink Noise, with him I have a very good dedication, I want to thank #eunice for the tips that were through them that I could mount my meter, I still need the help of my friends, because I have a lot to learn from you

e4953d0f-2864-44e8-8058-b6f767ae978c.jpg

ebc628c8-ce49-422a-895a-78532dfe9c76.jpg
810dbe57-3ff2-4223-82e5-6ee5e075b975.jpg
8c10d64a-42af-4dd5-ac87-75f6c6f5df3c.jpg
7486cc1a-87f7-42cf-9201-048b7457ac6b.jpg
90f247c0-59d8-4b6e-861d-f36556669721.jpg

fghffg.PNG

Attachments

• da5c4c44-6462-4148-8abb-d2e0c63f1e1e.jpg
    da5c4c44-6462-4148-8abb-d2e0c63f1e1e.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: