Home-Made IEMs
Jun 18, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #9,316 of 16,029
So the bass does roll of, quite a bit in fact, but the roll of starts below 50Hz.

Knowles does hide that by showing the SPL from 100Hz up in their data sheets.

I was able to solve the distortion issues by adding another orange (!) damper to the ED, basically downgrading it to a bass only driver. That also shaped the signature a bit more to my liking.

Now Savant finale definitively sounds much better than the BS6, except the BS6 has slightly more slam below 50Hz. Listen to "Hands Up (Acid Mix)" by "Dense & Pika" if you want to know why I sometimes want that :) it's in medium quality on mixcloud in this set at 15:28: )

Thank you so much for this suggestion. Now the BS6 sounds quite colored compared to these...

I listened to the tracks and the mixcloud attachment.

Savant finale seems thinner or I would say leaner, but way fast in transient response and way to clear.

BS6 zobel is clear but I think slower and more fun to listen.

Savant finale seriously needs Benchmark DAC 3 to play to its maximum capability.

Savant Finale + CI sounds perfection
I think, better than Spiral ear SE5U
1mm ID tube on CI with three yellow dampers.

It just changes the way I see soundstage. It is like galaxy or I am tripping on psychedelics sort of feeling with CI and savant finale

Well I think we should change the names

Savant is copyright of noble audio

Jun 18, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #9,319 of 16,029
Savant finale seriously needs Benchmark DAC 3 to play to its maximum capability.
Funny enough I ended up modding some of my sources to a crazy class-A biasing level and have to re-evaluate just about everything, as all the sets I've built and kept (about 10) sound completely different with these mods/tweaks. Different=awesome.

One "wow!" and "aha!" moment was finally getting x4 RAF series + Zobel sounding as I was anticipating it should sound like, description under spoiler
64247794-378004376176581-6479044963010084864-n.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #9,320 of 16,029
Funny enough I ended up modding some of my sources to a crazy class-A biasing level and have to re-evaluate just about everything, as all the sets I've built and kept (about 10) sound completely different with these mods/tweaks. Different=awesome.

One "wow!" and "aha!" moment was finally getting x4 RAF series + Zobel sounding as I was anticipating it should sound like, description under spoiler
64247794-378004376176581-6479044963010084864-n.jpg
Well you were talking about phase and other things on this setup which I was not getting a clear gist at that time

Well I would like to have the recipe for 4xRAFseries zobel.
I have to try myself what you did actually.
I have done 4xRAB series zobel and how it differs

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #9,321 of 16,029
Well I would like to have the recipe for 4xRAFseries zobel.
110Ohm, 4.4uF (2x2.2uF paralleled, higher cap values compared to suggested by calculator give slightly better bass IMO).
Brown-white dampers in series for me (green or brown for most people would be preferable, I shy excessive HF).
The beauty of x2 (or x4 more so) set ups is not only in ability to push more air due to a larger surface area involved, but also in averaging of individual driver's inconsistencies, that's what makes RAB/RAF combination so sweet (actually this trick is borrowed from an obscure old school microphone technique for guitar amps, where two microphones of different character are phase-aligned and then blended; also the concept is behind a way to reduce noise/distortion by paralleling output stages in amps).
Strangely enough this set up is very reserved-sounding, nothing too outstanding (except for bass maybe that digs ridiculously low, closer to fast DD if such a thing ever existed), but speaking of microphones it reminds me of really strange experience ages ago when CAD Equitek E-100 first hit the market over 20 years ago ***!
When auditioning it I was like "wow! listen to these lows, listen to these highs, sparkle, just wow!" But trying to make vocals recorded through it sit well in the mix proved next to impossible, it simply did not work.
Back to good old, like REALLY old U87 (oh well recorded via top-grade Focusrite preamp), no worries: vocal sits tight, floats in front of you, responds well to a touch of EQ. E100 was over-hyped and impressive, but it was actually its major weakness; U87 did not have all the ear-candy but just bloody worked and delivered.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #9,323 of 16,029
I followed @dhruvmeena96 advice and made a RAB-p + EST with shared zobel and 1uF in series with EST
Here are the tubing and circuit, now just need to out them in a shell lol.
8BEAEAEE-93C7-4963-AFA6-82EB9627FF87.jpeg

Attachments

• B897EAAD-E221-4C6B-833D-3F16450C404C.jpeg
    B897EAAD-E221-4C6B-833D-3F16450C404C.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 0
Jun 18, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #9,324 of 16,029
I followed @dhruvmeena96 advice and made a RAB-p + EST with shared zobel and 1uF in series with EST
Here are the tubing and circuit, now just need to out them in a shell lol.
Do make sure to start tuning EST from 1uF and then go lower by taste

Once got the perfect highs, then finish the project

Well, how is RAB-p fitting inside the metal nozzle. I was thinking it is quite near impossible to get the 3mm ID horn out of multi nozzle metal tubes

And RAB32033 would have been more better though due to smoother upper midrange

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #9,326 of 16,029
Do make sure to start tuning EST from 1uF and then go lower by taste

Once got the perfect highs, then finish the project

Well, how is RAB-p fitting inside the metal nozzle. I was thinking it is quite near impossible to get the 3mm ID horn out of multi nozzle metal tubes

And RAB32033 would have been more better though due to smoother upper midrange
I put the 2ID 3OD tube into the 1ID 2OD tube, and heat shrink on top of 1ID 2OD tube, it form a perfect size for the nozzle. And the other one, I just squeeze it in :).

Btw is 43ohm on zobel work?

Jun 18, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #9,327 of 16,029
Where did you add the yellow dampers?
You know the old technique of adding dampers, by placing damper in bigger tube ring and then tight fitting smaller ID tubes.

Near BA spout
10mm from spout
15mm from spout

All dampers are yellow
tube length is 20mm

@eunice I tried orange damper on ED30761. I think you were right, as it made the upper mids sweet. Female vocals are ethereal. So velvety....something like effortless

@wolkegeist
41ohms and 4.6uF

43 ohms will be under damping and create ringing issues

For RAB-p
The horn in the end is important
3mm ID 3mm length horn in the end

I am asking about that

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #9,328 of 16,029
@wolkegeist
41ohms and 4.6uF

43 ohms will be under damping and create ringing issues

For RAB-p
The horn in the end is important
3mm ID 3mm length horn in the end

I am asking about that
Does 4.7uF in zobel work? I don’t want to wire a lot of caps here so I just put in a 4.7uF cap

Jun 19, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #9,330 of 16,029
Does 4.7uF in zobel work? I don’t want to wire a lot of caps here so I just put in a 4.7uF cap
I have a multimeter that can measure capacitance to 1% accuracy and those 10% tolerance 0805 4.7uF ceramic caps. They are cheap and easily range from 4.5uF to 4.9uF.

I measured a bunch of them and sorted them according to their real value. That way I know I have similar values for left/right and also access to 4.6uF caps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back