Home-Made IEMs
Jun 16, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #9,288 of 15,992
Jun 16, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #9,289 of 15,992
I bought 2 pairs but didn't use it yet. It's from the same factory as the 14mm ones and they only sell in batches of 100s...The seller was nice enough to let me buy a few pairs only, but I'm not sure if he'll let me buy more pairs.
Well, I was listening to tinaudio p1(review unit to my friend)
My mind was blown by the speed and detail, even though signature structure was okayish....

Soundstage was huge

Jun 16, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #9,290 of 15,992
I bought 2 pairs but didn't use it yet. It's from the same factory as the 14mm ones and they only sell in batches of 100s...The seller was nice enough to let me buy a few pairs only, but I'm not sure if he'll let me buy more pairs.
Can you send the seller link

Because all I find is 500 batches.
100 batches...I can do that

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #9,291 of 15,992
Testing savant finale... first impression: it has definitively the best mids and highs. It is so transparent I can hear background noise, incorrect reverb, digital artifacts in music I have so far believed to be flawlessly produced. And I can hear the weaknesses of the dragonfly black to a point that it annoys me.

But, it’s a bit lacking in bass. Bass is there and super accurate, but it’s not enough for my taste. Let’s see if I can tune it a bit.

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #9,292 of 15,992
Can you send the seller link

Because all I find is 500 batches.
100 batches...I can do that

I have him on Wechat, he doesn't sell on Taobao as the volumes are too low to profit. I'm not sure he'll sell more as I asked him for a special treatment the last time i bought it unfortunately...

All of their drivers have a massive dip at 3-5kHz which can't be fixed easily

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #9,293 of 15,992
I have him on Wechat, he doesn't sell on Taobao as the volumes are too low to profit. I'm not sure he'll sell more as I asked him for a special treatment the last time i bought it unfortunately...

All of their drivers have a massive dip at 3-5kHz which can't be fixed easily
I think, there is some acoustic wizardry going on.
I can fix it with horn though

But it will take a 10mm To narrow bore adapter and some tubes.. And some freaky calculations

Testing savant finale... first impression: it has definitively the best mids and highs. It is so transparent I can hear background noise, incorrect reverb, digital artifacts in music I have so far believed to be flawlessly produced. And I can hear the weaknesses of the dragonfly black to a point that it annoys me.

But, it’s a bit lacking in bass. Bass is there and super accurate, but it’s not enough for my taste. Let’s see if I can tune it a bit.
FED30048 is a predamped green ED29689 with no mid bass artifact.
This help us remove any obstruction in acoustic or air reproduction part, plus being a ferrofluid damped motor, the braking or stopping point(decay tightness) is perfect with higher gauss magnetic field concentrate helping it to extend further.

You won't be able to increase bass though since it lacks artifacts ED29689 had. But it is flat neutral without roll off.

For RAB-p, true successor is FFC driver I mentioned above. It leads to removal of damper, which increase detail to crazy level.

Removing damper can make driver very clear. Ferrofluid drivers are best for damperless applications

Well, I want Knowles to produce a CI-22955 with ferrofluid and heavy type damping

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #9,294 of 15,992
You won't be able to increase bass though since it lacks artifacts ED29689 had. But it is flat neutral without roll off.

It is flat, but in headphones and even more in IEMs, bass should be increased. Harman Kardon Target has it elevated too.

The ferro-fluid damping is an interesting subject: https://www.knowles.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/an-6-issue01.pdf?sfvrsn=2

BTW I have my tube at 10mm and 12mm, that's 2.5mm longer than the suggested 7.5mm and 9.5mm.

Hearing it back and forth with the BS6 + Zobel, the BS6 is much more vibrant and fun, OTOH the resolution, speed and accuracy of the savant finale is just out of this world

But I have a hard time deciding if it is over emphazising or adding distortion artifacts to music or if it just super revealing and the flaws are in my source material. It will take a ton of listening to figure that out.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #9,295 of 15,992
So the bass does roll of, quite a bit in fact, but the roll of starts below 50Hz.

Knowles does hide that by showing the SPL from 100Hz up in their data sheets.

savant finale.png

I was able to solve the distortion issues by adding another orange (!) damper to the ED, basically downgrading it to a bass only driver. That also shaped the signature a bit more to my liking.

Now Savant finale definitively sounds much better than the BS6, except the BS6 has slightly more slam below 50Hz. Listen to "Hands Up (Acid Mix)" by "Dense & Pika" if you want to know why I sometimes want that :) it's in medium quality on mixcloud in this set at 15:28: )

Thank you so much for this suggestion. Now the BS6 sounds quite colored compared to these...

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #9,296 of 15,992
So the bass does roll of, quite a bit in fact, but the roll of starts below 50Hz.

I dont see the bass from ED30761, in your setup graph. Hmmmm

Mine have good bass all round

Do check if anything is done wrong

I was able to solve the distortion issues by adding another orange (!) damper to the ED, basically downgrading it to a bass only driver. That also shaped the signature a bit more to my liking.

Now Savant finale definitively sounds much better than the BS6, except the BS6 has slightly more slam below 50Hz. Listen to "Hands Up (Acid Mix)" by "Dense & Pika" if you want to know why I sometimes want that :) it's in medium quality on mixcloud in this set at 15:28: )

Thank you so much for this suggestion. Now the BS6 sounds quite colored compared to these...

Jun 16, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #9,297 of 15,992

Remove the orange damper to fill 3kHz and get a complete harmanish curve. It should be red, so that it can peak at 3kHz

I think there is some issue with your bass, as mine seems completely fine and elevated, with decent slam

Which measurement calibration you are running though

Update: they do have less bass than BS6...
Well how about adding a specific heavy damped bass driver like CI to the mix.

You can easily add it.

20mm length/ 0.5mm ID(lower than 1mm ID)
Triple yellow dampers(one near spout, one near the center and one at 3/4 of tube)

0mm -> 10mm -> 15mm

3 ohms series resistance to be added

@eunice

Triple driver with the craziest mids from FED, midbss from ED30761 and subbass from CI22955

All full range helps balancing the impedance plus no crossover phase shifting

All driver are on 25ohms

Which means IEM impedance is 8.34ohms

Which is ~ 8ohms and is relatively borderline very low impedance and normal impedance

Neutrality is maintained, just the subbass is boosted

Plus triple heavy damping is something I came up recently

The near BA spout yellow damper will smoothen all peak from CI, center will roll off like low pass, and the last one will lower the sensitivity.

And three yellow dampers will add a delay subbass effect due to higher resistance or high surface area of yellow dampers. This will actually make all the bass add as a decay below 60Hz. Something like spiral ear se5u but not neat as the spiral ear delayed ignition CI driver.

The decay will sound like a very big dynamic driver(something like Sony xba z5 in quantity and quality, just crossed very low in subbass)

Neutrality is maintained

And here I defeated the BS6 + zobel in sound quality and lower driver numbers. BS6 + zobel wins for lower price

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #9,298 of 15,992
If I remove the orange damper, I get distortion. Especially piano music sounds stressful to my ears.

With red AND orange damper this is just heaven, except for the slight roll-off below 50Hz.

My guess is it has something to do with the tube lengths with the ED being more susceptible to the longer tubes I use.

So this is Savant finale CIEM version:

- FED30048 with 2 Ohm resistor in series, 14mm tube and no dampers.
- ED30761 16mm tube, red damper @5mm and orange damper at the tip.

I think about adding the CI as you suggested. I do not have tubing <1mm and I never built a triple bore. How about using a shorter 1mm ID tube?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #9,299 of 15,992
If I remove the orange damper, I get distortion. Especially piano music sounds stressful to my ears.

With red AND orange damper this is just heaven, except for the slight roll-off below 50Hz.

My guess is it has something to do with the tube lengths with the ED being more susceptible to the longer tubes I use.

So this is Savant finale CIEM version:

- FED30048 with 2 Ohm resistor in series, 16mm tube and no dampers.
- ED30761 14mm tube, red damper @5mm and orange damper at the tip.

I think about adding the CI as you suggested. I do not have tubing <1mm and I never built a triple bore. How about using a shorter 1mm ID tube?
You can go with that...not an issue
Not bigger than 1mm ID

For ED30761, I guess it is not distortion, but the volume being too high at the region of 2kHz to 4kHz for you

Its okay though

But CI will need 3 yellow dampers so that you can just compensate the 50Hz and down bass. Plus point is that natural bass decay

I think FED must have smaller tube than ED30761

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back