Home-Made IEMs
Jan 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #7,936 of 15,989
it is like CAMPFIRE TAEC tech.
Yup, that was the inspiration, notice drivers firing into a chamber directly (no tubing) with single tubing on the other side, as described above:
08-AC357-A-26-CD-4-AC0-8101-F72-A77-FB3977.jpg

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #7,937 of 15,989
best driver is
RAF-32873

ask why?

See the paper knowles attached with it. Mind blown

From driver reliability in Newton force test noted on exact
Imepdance graph given with so much detail

real diy driver is this

We can engineer it to max plus it is so much more abuse taker

it is like 2JZ GTE engine in Toyota Supra

Extreme in build, cheap in price and attach a turbo for 1000HP and it will take it easily
15N of force handling limit on body, plus so much exact detail and tighter tolerance

15$ for pair and frequency graph looks better than RAB counterpart

Well this crazy

HTB18wVloDtYBeNjy1Xdq6xXyVXah.jpg
HTB1fMesogaTBuNjSszfq6xgfpXav.jpg
HTB1vVLHoamWBuNjy1Xaq6xCbXXaM.jpg
HTB1rMisogaTBuNjSszfq6xgfpXaV.jpg

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #7,938 of 15,989
Yup, that was the inspiration, notice drivers firing into a chamber directly (no tubing) with single tubing on the other side, as described above:

I did something like that with one of my designs and ended up with a design that had great separation and lots of air. Probably pure coincidence but loved the results.

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #7,939 of 15,989
08-AC357-A-26-CD-4-AC0-8101-F72-A77-FB3977.jpg
i kinda got into the design of yours

kinda cool and out of the box thinking

i got my friend simulate your design on virtual environment

well what is the length of the tube, the standard 13 tube
I can help you refine it, without changing anything

it is the first attempt i have seen(going in series)

and i think, well it is way to hard to drive though, but fixes a lot of thing

1. peaky treble fix(Cavity and Series + damper).
2. Bass control(This will be too tight, super sharp bass on timing)
3. Overall speed and timing of hit
4. Distortion fix
5. Impedance graph will remain structurally same as single driver

but issues are from what he is telling me

1. due to high resistance.

88ohm DC resistance
132ohm 500 Hz nominal impedance
198ohm on 1kHz
250ohm on 3kHz

the issue is 250ohm at 3kHz. This thing may also create the feeling of of space, but extreme vocally sound may not get texture of crispiness and rasp. 3kHz have vocal harmonic details.
you may need to fix this area

but from what i see, that your tubing is small, it may not be an issue, but still asking the length of tubing.

and the space is correct for 4mm

but from your design i can see a verysmall fault

the 4mm is from tip of body rather than spout of BA. plus seal the surrounding body near the sprout so that it becomes flat surface with earlier spout area becoming holes. then make a space of 4mm(3.9mm but doesnt matter).

This will fix some internal hazzyness.

and shift the 660ohm damper in between of the tube.

because the cavity is already reducing the pneumatic pressure from BA, which then flows in tube, the 660ohm damper in end becomes too restrictive, which may kill some higher harmonic detail. moving it inside, may get some effect of pneumatic pressure penetration on damper, which make the air flow better and some extreme HF can raise.

experiment with zobel , because BA skyrocket in impedance at HF production and you series it, so the resistance would be very high, and you may wanna fix that

all my tips, may get the naunces of HF right

If you fix the HF extension, this can be a killer setup, because you have already achieved perfect mids and bass.

just slightly

plus

Since the two driver's electrical impedances and back EMFs are identical, the back EMF of one driver is just right to cancel the back EMF from the other and vice versa. This keeps the voltage over each of the drivers to exactly half the total driving voltage. This would not have been the case with a series resistor or if you were to put the hand on one of the drivers to keep the cone at standstill.
But I think that this way of thinking is more complicated than the simple voltage divider with two identical impedances.

So, the bottom line is; connecting identical drivers in series is OK, it does not affect Qts.

Edit: you can also see it from the equation for Qes:

Qes=2*pi*fs*Mms/Res, Res=(Bl)^2/Re

If you add a driver in series and see the two drivers as one, B and fs would stay the same, Mms would double, l would double, and Re would double. Net effect: Qes stays the same.

so, the way you placed your driver, the vents outward is also helping in weakening of stray magnetic field too

on parallel, this may not have happened

the reason is, parallel increases the Qes, which is important fundamentally, as this Q damping is second most important after Qms and we can control it.

as said earlier Qes remain same, voltage amount gets half leads to 1/4th of distortion on two driver setup. so on 4driver that is 1/16th of one RAB

this is a great feat to be proud of. plus Impedance remain same

but the amp you need now has to be poweful or you have to design a impedance equalisation and zobel circuit on parallel with longer horn. get that thing to work on 88ohms on all freq

it can make the iem sound like a TOTL headphone, if done right

that is 4driver zero cross

so to conclude

your project has a lot of potential

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #7,940 of 15,989
Jan 13, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #7,943 of 15,989
AFAIK this is just RAB-32257 with different port and solder pads locations.
Doesn't seem to have ferrofluid, so it's strange for the name to have F in there.
It is slightly differen t in impedance curve

And Knowles did published all spec important for our convenience

I can tune it with precision compared to hit and trail.

I can smoothen out peaks without damper just because I can make a perfect circuit

Old driver didn't had that

Plus it is cheaper than RAB(way cheaper)

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #7,945 of 15,989
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #7,946 of 15,989
Jan 14, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #7,947 of 15,989
Just adding a resistor and crossing over kills sub-bass extention. Is that an impedence problem? Does that attenuation circuit fix that?

And yeah, HODVTEC is... oof.
attenuation circuit lowers overall dB rather than changing the property of circuit

you will lose some, but the loss will be uniform overall.

if you need subBass extension(true level)

you can do

only CI part. It will provide you godly subBAsssssssssss

not even Sony XB90EX can reach the level of subbass extension this can

and swap the capacitor/dual resistor CI with HODVTEC. and SUBBASS goes heart rumbling

the First CI with Cap and resistor is crossed at 72.346Hz and is damped hard. Second CI is damped even harder but play full range

TWFK with full range FK is reversed so it cancel some mid bleed issues and treble FK is extreme high pass

if you go this way of tuning, you have reverse the polarity of Mid driver and cross it properly in conjunction to Dual CI
7916079_thumb.jpg

7916077_thumb.png

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #7,948 of 15,989
@piotrus-g Well

In Fibae Black, after seeing the images more carefully

you didnt use a traditional helmholtz resonator but a Sealed top Kienle Resoantor System(sort of resonator when sealed), For that bass boost, which you damped very specifically so that fo can be spread ou evenly instead of making a bass boost peak

well i think i am near to what you did.

damm man, if it is Kienle system, then man, you seriously did spend a lot of hours, because it is nasty to tune it(so much work, to sound naturally)

but reward is an immense soundstage(i mean seriously that thing will go bonkers on staging), Dad have a organ loaded piano(he did a diy a long time ago on some cheap wood piano) and that thing sounds grand and never ending.

He told me about the structure today, and he told me about speaker loaded organ is kienle system and when you seal the top at perfect octave, it is a tuned resonator. Well Resonator sounds less grand compared to flue organ structure, we cannot do that in iem, plus it needs some extreme paperwork and calculator.

and he told me, that he can boost specific Freq plus due to overtone can structure the bass plus boost some hefty low end on both platform

and when i told him about your project

he saw the images too(but was not able to tell), but i showed him your frequency response and the literal size of tubing inside iem i do

he said

"That guy is crazy"

well dad took his speaker tubes in comparision

but when i calculated resonator value in actual
its is easy to get a resonance f, but it is very hard to control harmonic tone or overtone(i mean very hard)

From a knowles RAF calculation

i need 2mm tube with 20mm length closed from one side aligned perpendicular to main tube, to make it act as a spring resonance at 270Hz

but that peak goes like monster, and when i use damper it becomes either too damped or not a considerable effect while my Q remains the same instead of extending on both side

by the way i don't want to boost 270Hz, that was just experiment as i was learning

but one thing do happens which is noticeable

low frequency, even boosted, goes a little far away perception, which gives a good amount of separation. i think after hearing this, i can tell why FIBAE Black was reviewed to be a huge stager

a guy even told me it is bigger than Andromeda(Head fi member)

Man, @piotrus-g your work turns an inspiration for me, and i don't know why i always get the itch to reverse engineer your work.

FIBAE 1

my solution:
I made some circuitry(take it as complex zobel and a notch filter) to flatten out impedance

FIBAE Black

my solution
Damm, i am so near but far away..............this is hard as ****(those are actual star and no abuse), perpendicular resonator(closed organ). Still dont know the dampers

and dont tell me, i dont wanna cheat...my hardwork can lead me to some new direction

@Ivan TT you can learn from this

1. Traditional Helmholtz resonator(Spring, can be used for specific tuning)
2. Concentric porous resonator(peak silencer)
3. Front loaded air gap resonator(TAEC, used for slightly smoother treble......EDGAR mid range horn)
4. Kienle Resonator System(Technically god of all the above, used in speaker loaded organ pipe, plus can be fused with any of the above, but it is hardest to tune)

Kienle Resonator System is actually simple in open pipe, but closing it changes the way how frequency moves. and iem need closing one, since opening the top means everything leaks in iem body

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #7,949 of 15,989
After reading up on Kienle Resoantor System I don't think that's correct and I would still hold we are using Helmholtz
The Kienle seems to be positioned in front of the driver with sound outlet perpendicularly to the resonator and the speaker. In our design the speaker doesn't fire into the resonator. The resonator is parallel to the speaker and in theory perpendicular to the sound outlet.

The Kienle seems to be interesting idea to check out.

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #7,950 of 15,989
After reading up on Kienle Resoantor System I don't think that's correct and I would still hold we are using Helmholtz
The Kienle seems to be positioned in front of the driver with sound outlet perpendicularly to the resonator and the speaker. In our design the speaker doesn't fire into the resonator. The resonator is parallel to the speaker and in theory perpendicular to the sound outlet.

The Kienle seems to be interesting idea to check out.
So it is the adjacent Helmholtz resonator...

Makes my work simpler then

But how did you get a wide Q on bass.... I am getting a peak while other freq remain same...

Well, Helmholtz resonator can still do, overtone, but elevating whole bass region seems hard for me.

I think I have to use multiple resonator ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but then it will come out my iem and it will become something like hearing aid.

Damm....

Well, it is all about overtones, and my dad still said that this much complex tubing to achieve respectable bass boost from single driver in such a small casing is crazy work and too much time consuming for him to do for me

He gave me some formulas on Helmholtz resonator, kienle resonator and porous resonator and told me how to make them but miniaturizing them seems is very hard till now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back