Home-Made IEMs
Feb 24, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #6,061 of 16,076
Had a go at mixing my first try Gelatin/Glycerin mix ready to make my first shells.

I used Dr Oektker Gelatin as that is readily available from supermarket in UK. It's a bit like sugar grains before mixing.

Is it too dark?
21558b7190b387b6a244a9e685b093de.jpg

eb7441d8f13c0999e21b9fbf60834ac9.jpg

Sent from my Z using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #6,062 of 16,076
Anyone recommend a low subbass ba and a sparkle one thanks

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #6,063 of 16,076
Saw the Kumitate Labs' Raden design and thought it looked very nice, so I made a similar looking one :p 

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #6,064 of 16,076
Hey Guys!  Luke at Vibro Labs is doing a Facebook Livestream on DIY earphones tomorrow (Sunday) at 3pm EST.  He did one last week and it was pretty informative.  It sounds like this is going to be a weekly thing and dive deeper on the guts of CIEM's.  I'll see you there!

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #6,066 of 16,076
Hello all, I just wanted to pass on another trick that works well. Sometimes it gets really tight in shells and you need to place some precision pointed uv to help hold and secure components. I bought some blunt syringes off Amazon and they work great.

I've seen videos where 64 audio used them so I thought I would give them a try on my last few builds and it works amazing! Nothing worse than spending a few hours on shells and placing components to make a mess in the shell with material getting all over the place.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #6,067 of 16,076
Hey Guys!  Luke at Vibro Labs is doing a Facebook Livestream on DIY earphones tomorrow (Sunday) at 3pm EST.  He did one last week and it was pretty informative.  It sounds like this is going to be a weekly thing and dive deeper on the guts of CIEM's.  I'll see you there!

He has last weeks posted on his Facebook page as well for anyone that missed it. I agree ☝:tone1: it was informative. I've read a lot of the reddit posts on DIY monitors and they are behind as compared to this forum. I wonder how interactive tomorrow's Facebook stream will be.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #6,069 of 16,076
Hello all, I just wanted to pass on another trick that works well. Sometimes it gets really tight in shells and you need to place some precision pointed uv to help hold and secure components. I bought some blunt syringes off Amazon and they work great.

I've seen videos where 64 audio used them so I thought I would give them a try on my last few builds and it works amazing! Nothing worse than spending a few hours on shells and placing components to make a mess in the shell with material getting all over the place.

Bondic is great for precision spots as well, and for everything else. Great stuff.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #6,070 of 16,076

Now I'm positive this is addictive.

Seriously though, great tip.  I immediately had a "why didn't I think of that" reaction.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #6,071 of 16,076

Now I'm positive this is addictive.

Seriously though, great tip.  I immediately had a "why didn't I think of that" reaction.

What material are you using for internal stuff?  I'm struggling with this right now.  Fotoplast leaves that damn inhibition layer that runs, and the cyno I'm using leaves a film.  After electronics are in, you can't do glycerin to cure....  Other than getting a nitro setup...

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #6,073 of 16,076
Here is a pic of my latest build, 3 driver universal, oil slick color.

That color looks just like the 846 :O 

BTW - great tip. I should get some syringes too. Only thing is that I would cover them. It seems like the resin hardens quite fast even under regular light. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #6,074 of 16,076
I bought them here: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.276.Xrvii6&id=530183479069&ns=1&abbucket=6#detail
However, the pins are the other way round...I had to knock them out, flip them over, and hammer them back in. Took a quick search and also found: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.82.Xrvii6&id=533822246460&ns=1&abbucket=6#detail

Not sure if those pins are the right way round.

The black part of the face plate is actually wood. Its some really really hard black colored wood which I probably won't use again since - 1) the wood grain doesn't show at all...and 2) that thing took ages to sand through. Much longer than the other wood I used. 

After sanding the wood and gluing it on, I applied a very thin layer of the UV lacquer, and sprinkled some gold and rainbow colored glitter (0.2mm diameter), and let it cure under the UV light. The lines are made from thin shell paper, like this: 

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c-s.w137644-15902957528.48.P4dbAO&id=23735992004

I used a cutter to cut thin lines, and sand them until they are the right width and thickness (needs to be very thin). Then I arranged them on the shell and glued them on using the UV lacquer (as it is easier to apply than the UV resin). Then when everything is set, I coated the top with the UV resin.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #6,075 of 16,076
  I just ordered Bondic! Hoping it does the trick!  Does it leave the dreaded sticky layer?

No, it dries completely after 10-15 seconds. One of the reasons I love it.

While it is uv cured, I believe it is a very different formulation. More of a glue than shell material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back