Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Mar 22, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #3,091 of 4,063
Thx. I see you use simaudio 600i amp. Did you need to change input voltage setting in 600i for holo spring 3?
No problem with Simaudio Moon 600i via XLR, I didn't have to change anything. And sounds sublime!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #3,092 of 4,063
At around 125 hours now and it’s definitely opened up a bit since new. Was connected through i2s to my Pi2AES. Thought I would try USB and don’t think I can tell a difference. PLL was on for both USB and i2s.

Compared to my old dac the Musician Pegasus there is more resolution, larger soundstage with more space between sounds, a more natural tonality, it’s faster and bass has a lot more impact. The best part though is the timbre, it’s incredibly natural sounding.

2EAEEA7C-0BF6-48CE-BF1C-05F09D49B6C1.jpeg

Apr 7, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #3,093 of 4,063
I have a question about the XLR and RCA outputs on the Spring DAC. I have the Spring KTE V1 version. I am running RCA out to preamp for 2ch and XLR out to OOR/Hypsos stack for HP listening.

I had a couple people say to me very adamantly to not have RCA out and XLR out plugged in at the same time. Even when only one is being used at a time. They said there will be distortion issues.

I contacted Kitsunehifi and their response was:
"Both rca and xlr can be run at same time as we have dedicated output stages.
Hope this clarifies things
Best"

That said though when I have both RCA and XLR outputs plugged in at the same time I hear definite distortion. That is both when listening to 2ch only or HP only. I played around a ton with it since I would rather not unplug XLR or RCA out depending on what I am using. It is an easy workaround but would prefer no to have to do that.

Anyone else played around with this? What is your take on it?

Thank you

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #3,094 of 4,063
@GoldenOne when you reviewed the Spring 3 and compared its sound vs May. Did you compare them plugged both to your Serene preamp? I mean, although the Spring 3 you reviewed had the optional preamp stage, did you always compared both plugged to the Serene? Thanks!

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #3,096 of 4,063
I have both RCA and XLR plugged in and active at the same time. There is no distortion.
Spring 3 KTE ( no pre amp).
Same here, I have Spring 3 w/ preamp both plugged in no issues - although unlike most I prefer the single ended output, but most likely the function of going into a better amplifier for my speakers than what I had my balanced plugged into. I would say that xlr sounded best when the amp was also fully balanced, I just happened to have now a better performing single ended amplifier.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #3,097 of 4,063
I had my original Kitsune Edition plugged into to different amps using both, the SR & XLR outputs (using one amp at a time) with no issues whatsoever. I now (and have been for a very long time) use an XLR Y splitter XLR on the amp sides (using one amp at time) with no issues whatsoever.

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #3,098 of 4,063
@GoldenOne when you reviewed the Spring 3 and compared its sound vs May. Did you compare them plugged both to your Serene preamp? I mean, although the Spring 3 you reviewed had the optional preamp stage, did you always compared both plugged to the Serene? Thanks!
@GoldenOne I have sent you a private message too with that question. I would greatly appreciate it if you had a moment to clarify how you made the comparison. Thanks! :)

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #3,100 of 4,063
Anyone done a proper comparison of Spring 3 and Qutest?
Had a Qutest before a spring 1 - sold the Qutest almost immediately. The spring was in another league for sure. The spring 3 now is a step up over that. Honestly any spring of any age or level to me is superior to the Qutest. Everything the Qutest did well the spring just did better. Bass, realism, life, energy, tone, accuracy, soundstage, clarity.

I can’t think of 1 area I would say the Qutest was it’s equal.

Apr 11, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #3,101 of 4,063
I have the both the Qutest and Spring 3 and I certainly prefer the Spring 3.

However, I still think the Qutest is a terrific bang for the buck DAC that would be end game for many in this hobby, depending on taste/preferences. I personally think the Qutest works best in a system that is a bit on the warm side to begin with. The Qutest can also be improved with a good LPS.

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #3,102 of 4,063
For the Spring 3- is there a discernable difference between L1, L2, KTE? Obviously massive price gap from $2k-$3k so curious if people find the jump worth it

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #3,103 of 4,063
For the Spring 3- is there a discernable difference between L1, L2, KTE? Obviously massive price gap from $2k-$3k so curious if people find the jump worth it
I got the KTE level primarily for the USB Titanis module, it is the same as in the May.
According to Goldensound and others using the USB input measures very well (noise, jitter) and I did not want to invest in a DDC as well.
Of course some of the other "upgrades" won't hurt either :wink:
But I have not auditioned the other levels, so cannot go into details in sound quality between the levels.

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #3,104 of 4,063
For such an expensive device I would love to have many more reviews were all levels of Spring and May would be compared between themselves to know exactly where the SQ improvements when going up through the levels are, if any… (higher USB specs apart). I.e. I would love to read some reviews were the Spring 3 would be compared with and without preamp to know exactly how the preamp stage affects the end SQ cause there is no active stage 100% transparent.
I tried to ask @GoldenOne details about how he compared the Spring 3 with internal preamp vs the May a few times but he doesn’t answer…

Another point is that is almost impossible to hear any of these units prior to purchase so buying them is a leap of faith.

These are very expensive devices and there are almost no reviews about them in the specialized media. Just a few youtubers (some of them suspiciously always favorable to almost every device or brand that comes from holo’s distributors) and of course all the end users that write here.
No manufacturer webpage exists for such devices were the cheapest one start in the thousands of $ so all the technical info and support comes always from distributors pages…All this is a bit “obscure” for such an expensive devices…

At the end please take my comments comes as coming from someone very interested in the purchase of a new DAC for his system that needs just some more clear information

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #3,105 of 4,063
IMG_3417.JPGIMG_3419.jpg

Spring 3 KTE finally arrived! Out of box, I am a bit surprised at the lack of dynamics and precision on transients. I've read that Holo Audio is on the softer side, but could I expect dynamics and engagement to increase with burn-in? (Don't worry, I am running my unit as we speak lol).

My previous reference point was the iDSD Pro Signature DAC (burr brown DAC) preamped into Ferrum OOR Hypsos/preamped into the Enleum 23R. From Spring 3, it comes across as soft-sounding on both LCD5 and Susvara, even with upsampling via HQPlayer.

Don't get me wrong, I understand there are trade-offs-but am hoping I don't have to sacrifice too much punch for the more naturalness and timbre that R2Rs are known for. Curious how it has played out for others.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back