Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Apr 13, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #3,106 of 4,067
It seems that for precision resistor ladder R2R designs some time is needed to reach thermal stabilization. Usually is a couple of hours. Nothing related to burn in. They just need a bit of time to reach the tolerances they are designed for at its usual working temperature.
If you feel the sound is still "off" after the Spring 3 has been powered for 2-3 hours then forget this.

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #3,107 of 4,067
IMG_3417.JPGIMG_3419.jpg

Spring 3 KTE finally arrived! Out of box, I am a bit surprised at the lack of dynamics and precision on transients. I've read that Holo Audio is on the softer side, but could I expect dynamics and engagement to increase with burn-in? (Don't worry, I am running my unit as we speak lol).

My previous reference point was the iDSD Pro Signature DAC (burr brown DAC) preamped into Ferrum OOR Hypsos/preamped into the Enleum 23R. From Spring 3, it comes across as soft-sounding on both LCD5 and Susvara, even with upsampling via HQPlayer.

Don't get me wrong, I understand there are trade-offs-but am hoping I don't have to sacrifice too much punch for the more naturalness and timbre that R2Rs are known for. Curious how it has played out for others.
What preamp /amp are you using with Spring ? I'd also give this a LOOONNGG time to burn in / settle down - I noticed mine which btw I bought USED got better after a couple months of being left on. If you are still using the Ferrum/Enleum combo above that's a double preamp, perhaps try removing one of the preamps.

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #3,108 of 4,067
What preamp /amp are you using with Spring ? I'd also give this a LOOONNGG time to burn in / settle down - I noticed mine which btw I bought USED got better after a couple months of being left on. If you are still using the Ferrum/Enleum combo above that's a double preamp, perhaps try removing one of the preamps.
Ah sorry for the confusion-I use the Spring 3 with either 23r OR the Ferrum (separately, not altogether).

It sounds noticeably better from 23R with the Susvara at least; more dynamic. Reassuring to hear you've noticed changes over time-I'll definitely give it some time before deciding what survives ultimately :).

Apr 14, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #3,109 of 4,067
I am normally not a burn-in caring person, but the Spring 3 playing cold vs playing warm after an hour or two does sound less harsh and improved to me.
I love the Susvara / Bakoon/Spring3 combo.

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #3,110 of 4,067
Hi all,

New to the forum. I'm not a headphone guy, but this forum has the best Spring thread, so here I am, as 10 days ago I ordered a KTE w/preamp to drive latest Vandy 2Ces via bi-amped Starke Sound AD4.320. My source is IFI Zen Stream. My current DAC/pre is a modified Project Prebox S2... I've tried to upgrade, but things like a modified Lumin T2 at nearly 10x the cost have failed against the remarkable tiny Project. The Spring will be my first dip outside of Delta Sigma. Btw, tried over dozen amps till I found the Starke Sound...ASR's review of that is a joke... remarkable amp. Any other Milwaukee folks here?

I'll keep posted on the KTE arrival.

Matt

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #3,111 of 4,067
Hi all,

New to the forum. I'm not a headphone guy, but this forum has the best Spring thread, so here I am, as 10 days ago I ordered a KTE w/preamp to drive latest Vandy 2Ces via bi-amped Starke Sound AD4.320. My source is IFI Zen Stream. My current DAC/pre is a modified Project Prebox S2... I've tried to upgrade, but things like a modified Lumin T2 at nearly 10x the cost have failed against the remarkable tiny Project. The Spring will be my first dip outside of Delta Sigma. Btw, tried over dozen amps till I found the Starke Sound...ASR's review of that is a joke... remarkable amp. Any other Milwaukee folks here?

I'll keep posted on the KTE arrival.

Matt
Welcome to the club! I used to own a pair of Vandersteen Signature 3A's powered by a Pass Labs X150 and Vega for DAC - really a great speaker for sure. I've never been a huge fan of Class D amps but I haven't heard them all - glad you enjoy your setup. I believe you will definitely have an eye opening experience going from a S2 to a Spring 3 KTE w/ pre - holy smokes what an upgrade! I'd argue that the 2Ces as good as they are will be your limiting factor now - but either way the journey is always the fun of this hifi stuff!

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #3,112 of 4,067
Welcome to the club! I used to own a pair of Vandersteen Signature 3A's powered by a Pass Labs X150 and Vega for DAC - really a great speaker for sure. I've never been a huge fan of Class D amps but I haven't heard them all - glad you enjoy your setup. I believe you will definitely have an eye opening experience going from a S2 to a Spring 3 KTE w/ pre - holy smokes what an upgrade! I'd argue that the 2Ces as good as they are will be your limiting factor now - but either way the journey is always the fun of this hifi stuff!
Yes, there are no D traits I can identify with the Starke... it's more like tube/solid state hybrid. They are releasing an improved version this summer, for apparently the same low price, so I'll probably swing for that...this is a view of the current set up...The KTE will look lovely here

Attachments

• PXL_20220414_220659429.jpg
    PXL_20220414_220659429.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #3,114 of 4,067
Hi,

Just got a Spring 3 lvl 2 with preamp.
It does sound as an upgrade to my Qutest, even out of the box. Now I’ll see if it gets better with time.

However I have an issue with the preamp : the volume was set at 80 by default, but when connected to my Feliks Audio Euforia (or any of my amps actually), there was a clear volume mismatch between the channels. Sound balance gets back to normal around volume 94 or 95 on the Spring…hence I could not use the volume control of the Spring.
Same problem on my Yamaha AS2100, everything works fine only at 94-95 volume.

Not sure to understand why…is it because the Spring 3 preamp is only supposed to work properly when connected to a power amp (i.e. with no volume control) ? Is it due to some fixed/variable output issue ? Why then a channel volume mismatch below 94-95 ?

Finally I tested the Spring 3 connected to the Yamaha main direct (which should disable the yamaha integrated preamp) and…the volume was so loud (with the Spring 3 volume set at 20), I was afraid my speakers would explode…

Of course I tried both RCA and XLR connections and swapping around cables and same issue…
Maybe the preamp is faulty…

Any clue would be greatly appreciated !

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #3,115 of 4,067
Hi,

Just got a Spring 3 lvl 2 with preamp.
It does sound as an upgrade to my Qutest, even out of the box. Now I’ll see if it gets better with time.

However I have an issue with the preamp : the volume was set at 80 by default, but when connected to my Feliks Audio Euforia (or any of my amps actually), there was a clear volume mismatch between the channels. Sound balance gets back to normal around volume 94 or 95 on the Spring…hence I could not use the volume control of the Spring.
Same problem on my Yamaha AS2100, everything works fine only at 94-95 volume.

Not sure to understand why…is it because the Spring 3 preamp is only supposed to work properly when connected to a power amp (i.e. with no volume control) ? Is it due to some fixed/variable output issue ? Why then a channel volume mismatch below 94-95 ?

Finally I tested the Spring 3 connected to the Yamaha main direct (which should disable the yamaha integrated preamp) and…the volume was so loud (with the Spring 3 volume set at 20), I was afraid my speakers would explode…

Of course I tried both RCA and XLR connections and swapping around cables and same issue…
Maybe the preamp is faulty…

Any clue would be greatly appreciated !

I am using the KTE + Preamp to my Flux FA-10, also just a pure headphone amplifier with its own volume control, I do not hear any channel imbalance on my end on both xlr / rca at below 95.

You might want to contact your dealer.

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #3,116 of 4,067
I am normally not a burn-in caring person, but the Spring 3 playing cold vs playing warm after an hour or two does sound less harsh and improved to me.
I love the Susvara / Bakoon/Spring3 combo.
Man I really want to hear the bakoon!

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #3,117 of 4,067
Hello everyone, just got my Spring 3 L1 and was wondering how to identify the generation of the USB module in order to check for new firmware. In Roon it shows Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard. I quess i have the 2.0 module and need the USB Gen2 firmware only, right? What by the way are the differences between Gen2/2.1?
When i powered on the DAC for the first time i saw something like 1.12 on the display - is this the firmware version?
Sorry for all these questions - i just got it and don't want to fry it just yet...

My system: Intel NUC8i5 (Roon ROCK) -> Allo USBridge Sig. Player (Roon bridge running RoPieee) ->Spring 3 ->Amp ->Speakers

THANKS!

Apr 16, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #3,118 of 4,067
Hello everyone, just got my Spring 3 L1 and was wondering how to identify the generation of the USB module in order to check for new firmware. In Roon it shows Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard. I quess i have the 2.0 module and need the USB Gen2 firmware only, right? What by the way are the differences between Gen2/2.1?
When i powered on the DAC for the first time i saw something like 1.12 on the display - is this the firmware version?
Sorry for all these questions - i just got it and don't want to fry it just yet...

My system: Intel NUC8i5 (Roon ROCK) -> Allo USBridge Sig. Player (Roon bridge running RoPieee) ->Spring 3 ->Amp ->Speakers

THANKS!
Install the drivers (the drivers are the same for both cards and regardless of firmware). Then open the holo audio control panel. It'll say 'Gen 2.0' or 'Gen 2.1'

If your unit is brand new it'll definitely have the G2.1 card though

Apr 16, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #3,120 of 4,067
Thanks GoldenOne!
The unit is new yet it has the Gen 2.0 USB card.
What are the differences between this and 2.1?
Are you sure it has gen 2.0?
'UAC2.0' Is a separate thing and is describing the standard usb audio protocol

What level is the DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back