Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #3,121 of 4,067
Thanks GoldenOne!
The unit is new yet it has the Gen 2.0 USB card.
What are the differences between this and 2.1?
Sorry just read up and saw its L1. L1 will have the standard gen 2.0 card.

Only kte got the upgraded G2.1 card

Apr 16, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #3,122 of 4,067
Hi,

Just got a Spring 3 lvl 2 with preamp.
It does sound as an upgrade to my Qutest, even out of the box. Now I’ll see if it gets better with time.

However I have an issue with the preamp : the volume was set at 80 by default, but when connected to my Feliks Audio Euforia (or any of my amps actually), there was a clear volume mismatch between the channels. Sound balance gets back to normal around volume 94 or 95 on the Spring…hence I could not use the volume control of the Spring.
Same problem on my Yamaha AS2100, everything works fine only at 94-95 volume.

Not sure to understand why…is it because the Spring 3 preamp is only supposed to work properly when connected to a power amp (i.e. with no volume control) ? Is it due to some fixed/variable output issue ? Why then a channel volume mismatch below 94-95 ?

Finally I tested the Spring 3 connected to the Yamaha main direct (which should disable the yamaha integrated preamp) and…the volume was so loud (with the Spring 3 volume set at 20), I was afraid my speakers would explode…

Of course I tried both RCA and XLR connections and swapping around cables and same issue…
Maybe the preamp is faulty…

Any clue would be greatly appreciated !
Yeah that’s got to be a faulty preamp - no way I’d be able to hear anything at all on level 20 volume into any amplifier. Definitely setup an RMA.

Apr 16, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #3,123 of 4,067
I've seen a couple comments about Holo Audio not getting back to people with support questions. Is there a support problem with this company?

Apr 16, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #3,124 of 4,067
Yeah that’s got to be a faulty preamp - no way I’d be able to hear anything at all on level 20 volume into any amplifier. Definitely setup an RMA.
Just did and Magna Hifi in Europe was very helpful and responsive, so this should be fixed asap.

Apr 16, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #3,125 of 4,067
I've seen a couple comments about Holo Audio not getting back to people with support questions. Is there a support problem with this company?
I don’t know about Holo Audio themselves, but the official reseller in Europe is very responsive.

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #3,126 of 4,067
I am about to buy a headphone tube amp, but I am wondering if the 11.6Vrms XLR output of the KTE preamp will be an issue.

If I turn down the preamp volume, will that help alleviate clipping issues?

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #3,127 of 4,067
I am about to buy a headphone tube amp, but I am wondering if the 11.6Vrms XLR output of the KTE preamp will be an issue.

If I turn down the preamp volume, will that help alleviate clipping issues?

Do you have a LINE out XLR that can go to the headphone amp? They are typically looking for under 6 Volts. I have a RAAL Requisite VM1-a headphone tube amp and I asked the designer about this. The Audio Holo May does 5.8 Volts on its XLR outputs on PCM content. My amplifier has a +20 dB input transformer that puts it near its limit. This is definitely a concern for me on overloading the input and is one reason I'm hesitant about buying the Holo May. Most companies stick to the 4-volt standard or close to it. It sounds like you are trying to drive it like a power amp but it's an integrated headphone amp.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #3,129 of 4,067
Anyone has tried the Spring 3 with the Mutec MC3+ USB? I’m curious after reading this post
https://audioaddictsforum.com/post/63414
Can you improve the sound of the S3 so much using a good DDC like the Mutec with it?

I haven't been following this thread much since purchasing my Spring 3, but looked at the link- so their conclusion is PLL on results in markedly inferior sound quality? I've never read that before. As I understand it, PLL on is supposed to help eliminate jitter, so how would PLL on make the sound quality worse?

The other thing that has me questioning things a bit is, they thought the sound stage was too large with PLL on. The question I have is how would they know how large the sound stage should be? They are just making guesses on that point.

Isolating just the sound stage variable, I question how a smaller sound stage in this instance is more accurate? Bigger is usually better in my book because I am not sure how a DAC or amplifier for that matter can make something larger than what is in the recording. Smaller, yes, that is possible but that would be a negative. Making the sound stage comparatively larger, more holographic, noticeable, more "walk through" yes, a better DAC or amp can help with all that.

Edit: Before anyone mentions it, yes, I realize one can purchase software programs to manipulate and modify the sound stage and also the head. That is a separate, unrelated item.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #3,131 of 4,067
The Spring3KTEpre arrived today precisely 3 weeks after I placed the order. I didn't get an email until DHL had it on ground in Milwaukee. No matter, it's in fine order.

Within about 90 mins of burn-in, it began outclassing my previous digi front-end (Project Prebox S2). I'll keep it running more or less 24/7.

I can already tell my previous Delta Sigma juggling basically proved a parade of lateral moves. Based on the 500 hour burn-in reports, l'll enjoy the foreplay on way to the sonic-gasms in the not so distant future.

This hobby is about the only thing sparking my soul at all the last few years...glad the Kitsune is here!

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #3,132 of 4,067
The Spring3KTEpre arrived today precisely 3 weeks after I placed the order. I didn't get an email until DHL had it on ground in Milwaukee. No matter, it's in fine order.

Within about 90 mins of burn-in, it began outclassing my previous digi front-end (Project Prebox S2). I'll keep it running more or less 24/7.

I can already tell my previous Delta Sigma juggling basically proved a parade of lateral moves. Based on the 500 hour burn-in reports, l'll enjoy the foreplay on way to the sonic-gasms in the not so distant future.

This hobby is about the only thing sparking my soul at all the last few years...glad the Kitsune is here!
congrats
i have not regretted getting this amazing DAC for one second and I think it will stay with me for a very long time

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #3,133 of 4,067
Waiting for my Spring 3 KTE +preamp - will be my second DAC (ADI-2 DAC FS) .

Hope there will be no problems serving as preamp for my active studiomonitors i.e. 2x Neumann KH-310 /2x KH-750)

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #3,134 of 4,067
Waiting for my Spring 3 KTE +preamp - will be my second DAC (ADI-2 DAC FS) .

Hope there will be no problems serving as preamp for my active studiomonitors i.e. 2x Neumann KH-310 /2x KH-750)

Let me know how this goes - I currently have a Burson GT as my headphone amp and using the premap to my Neumann's with great success. I've been interested in the Spring 3 and if it has an even better preamp that may be interesting :)

Apr 30, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #3,135 of 4,067
I've hesitated buying the Holo May DAC because of the hot 5.8 volt balanced output and possibly overloading my amp input. If I purchased a Spring 3 with it's Preamp option, could I plug it into my integrated tube amp (Balanced input) and control the level using the preamp? Are there any sonic disadvantages to this? The Line level out may work but I would like a backup plan in case it doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back