Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jul 5, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #2,311 of 4,067
I would recommend to shell for the KTE just for the Titanis USB module. Unless you already have a great DDC, the USB implementation is really good, even direct from PC. The Level 2 doesn't have that.

I own the Holo May, just for reference.
The level 2 is a ****ing stretch for me lol. Why not just buy the titanis usb little add on card.

Also I'm looking at maybe a Denafrips pontus. That's more my price Range. Selling my topping D90 plus some savings

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #2,312 of 4,067
The level 2 is a ****ing stretch for me lol. Why not just buy the titanis usb little add on card.

Also I'm looking at maybe a Denafrips pontus. That's more my price Range. Selling my topping D90 plus some savings
I think the Titanis USB card and the one found on the May and Spring 3 are different modules, correct me if I'm wrong.

Apologies for not considering your affordability capability. Definitely consider and upgrade within your means.

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #2,313 of 4,067
I think the Titanis USB card and the one found on the May and Spring 3 are different modules, correct me if I'm wrong.

Apologies for not considering your affordability capability. Definitely consider and upgrade within your means.
No worries I not offended
I just have a horrible mouth lol.
I dream of a may kte. Or really a MBS premiere haha.

I have a 600 dollar dac, i suspect going from a delta sigma to a l2 spring in and of it self would be fairly significant of a jump for me.

I do use a streamer with an lps. So while it's not end game, my USB is fairly clean sounding. Could always be better of course

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,314 of 4,067
How do the Holo Spring DAC's compare to Denafrips? From what I've heard about the specs and measurements of the new Spring 3, it looks like it's going to blow the Denafrips DAC's out of the water in almost every respect. I was eyeing a Pontus II or Venus II, but I think at this point I might as well wait for the Spring 3.

@bimmer100 Any update on when the Spring 3 will be released?
I have Denafrips Venus II now and I just have preordered Spring 3 KTE. Will post findings and comparison of the two DACs here. But we all have to wait for the first batch of Spring 3 units.

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #2,315 of 4,067
Was also going to get pontus 2.

Ordered spring kte on Friday.

All in boys!

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #2,316 of 4,067

Well it's ordered kte lol. Well played sir

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #2,317 of 4,067
Sorry if I have missed mention in this thread, but has anyone upgraded the 1uf caps, and if so, what cap did you chose? I was looking at either the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oils, or of I can fit them in, one of the Miflex options, unless I can find some Duelunds that don't cost as much as the dac itself...I had to open it up to re solder the i2s connector and saw the Vishays...

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #2,318 of 4,067
Was also going to get pontus 2.

Ordered spring kte on Friday.

All in boys!
I was going to order Venus II but was waiting until they were not in pre order status. Then the Spring 3 was announced and well …

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #2,319 of 4,067
I was going to order Venus II but was waiting until they were not in pre order status. Then the Spring 3 was announced and well …
It is interesting there is no single review comparison between Holo Spring 2 and Denafrips Venus II. I couldn’t find any user who had opportunity to compare the two side by side. It looks I will be first one, because I have Venus II (for about 8 months now) and I have preordered Spring 3 KTE…

Just to be clear. There is nothing wrong with Venus II, it is great DAC. It completely blown away my previous, twice as expensive Simaudio Moon 380D dsd DAC. I just want to try something different, maybe something which is even closer to sound I like.
There is something appealing about Holo Audio design, nice external, but mainly very clever and neat internal design. And allegedly, Spring 3 is even closer to May performance…

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #2,320 of 4,067
It is interesting there is no single review comparison between Holo Spring 2 and Denafrips Venus II. I couldn’t find any user who had opportunity to compare the two side by side. It looks I will be first one, because I have Venus II (for about 8 months now) and I have preordered Spring 3 KTE…

Just to be clear. There is nothing wrong with Venus II, it is great DAC. It completely blown away my previous, twice as expensive Simaudio Moon 380D dsd DAC. I just want to try something different, maybe something which is even closer to sound I like.
There is something appealing about Holo Audio design, nice external, but mainly very clever and neat internal design. And allegedly, Spring 3 is even closer to May performance…
I would be very interested in this comparison myself.

I am currently demoing the Sonnet Morpheus and enjoying it, but I'm also keeping an eye on the Holo Spring 2 and Venus. Quick question: can you tell me generally between Holo and Denafrips, which DAC is oriented toward a forward/engaging/resolving tuning and which is the smoother and more laidback?

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #2,321 of 4,067
I would be very interested in this comparison myself.

I am currently demoing the Sonnet Morpheus and enjoying it, but I'm also keeping an eye on the Holo Spring 2 and Venus. Quick question: can you tell me generally between Holo and Denafrips, which DAC is oriented toward a forward/engaging/resolving tuning and which is the smoother and more laidback?
Really just in general (and I guess system dependent too):
forward/engaging/resolving = Denafrips Venus 2
smoother and more laidback= Spring 2

The thing is I personaly prefer smoother performance.
My previous DAC Simaudio Moon 380D dsd (which I still do own) was exactly that - very smooth, silky smooth mids, extremely non fatigue DAC. But when I purchased Denafrips Venus II, almost everything was better with it. More details, better micro dynamics, better punch (more controlled bass), holographic 3D soundstage. Definitely not on analitical side, but little bit less smooth.
And here comes Spring 3. I hope (from what I know about Spring 2 and May performance) that Spring 3 will be somwhere in the middle. Maintaining great detail retrieval and dynamics, but still smooth.
Will post my findings here after Spring 3 arrive.
PS: Sonnet Morpheus was on my list too:)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #2,322 of 4,067
Really just in general (and my opinion):

My previous DAC Simaudio Moon 380D dsd (which I still do own) was exactly that - very smooth, silky smooth mids, extremely non fatigue DAC. But when I purchased Denafrips Venus II, almost everything was better with it. More details, better micro dynamics, better punch (more controlled bass), holographic 3D soundstage. Definitely not on analitical side, but little bit less smooth.
And here comes Spring 3. I hope (from what I know about Spring 2 and May performance) that Spring 3 will be somwhere in the middle. Maintaining great detail retrieval and dynamics, but still smooth.
Thanks kindly, looks as though the Venus 2 would be more my cup of tea (though to be honest, the dimensions and weight are a put off), as I'm more in the forward/engaging camp.

I am coming from Hugo 2, so I'm used to a very forward almost aggressive presentation of micro detail, but of course with the Hugo that comes with some harshness in the top end and a certain lack of weight in the lower mids. I'll be keen to hear if the Spring 3 attains this balance of detail and smoothness.

From my experience, I would also say that he Sonnet Morpheus does strike that balance between being resolving in terms of macro and micro detail but also retaining a smooth (but not rolled off) tonality. I am waiting to try it on AES/Coax mode, as I understand it's slightly held back by its USB port. The timbre and tonality on the Morpheus is peerless, but I want to see what the AES/Coax config does to layering and imaging.

Thanks again and i look forward to your comparison.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #2,323 of 4,067
Really just in general (and I guess system dependent too):

The waiting is rough

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #2,324 of 4,067
Thanks kindly, looks as though the Venus 2 would be more my cup of tea (though to be honest, the dimensions and weight are a put off), as I'm more in the forward/engaging camp.

I am coming from Hugo 2, so I'm used to a very forward almost aggressive presentation of micro detail, but of course with the Hugo that comes with some harshness in the top end and a certain lack of weight in the lower mids. I'll be keen to hear if the Spring 3 attains this balance of detail and smoothness.

From my experience, I would also say that he Sonnet Morpheus does strike that balance between being resolving in terms of macro and micro detail but also retaining a smooth (but not rolled off) tonality. I am waiting to try it on AES/Coax mode, as I understand it's slightly held back by its USB port. The timbre and tonality on the Morpheus is peerless, but I want to see what the AES/Coax config does to layering and imaging.

Thanks again and i look forward to your comparison.
Another R2R option you might want to look into!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back