Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
May 31, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #2,281 of 4,078
Great insight. Maybe I should try it myself since I have similar hardware (except the dedicated power from the DB hahaha) but I get the feeling my experience would be slightly different as the wall outlets in my apartment shares with almost all electrical appliances in the household hahaha lazy electricians

May 31, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #2,282 of 4,078
That’s a tough one JL , we once lived in a high rise in the heart of a big city I used a PS Audio regenerator and farted around with medial grade transformers the exact same devices sold as audio grade transformers without the jacked up prices. I was always sceptical of Ac conditioners but I trust my dealer it just wont get along with the May dac.

Jun 4, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #2,283 of 4,078
This worked tremendously well with the Holo Audio dac , well actually this description is understating it , I think I’m now hearing all the May dac has to offer now .

Attachments

• C6A3BFC1-4ECA-4348-9D26-A1F06344A3FD.jpeg
    C6A3BFC1-4ECA-4348-9D26-A1F06344A3FD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • ED6E913D-7AF0-4B2D-89D0-64B45E376DFB.jpeg
    ED6E913D-7AF0-4B2D-89D0-64B45E376DFB.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,286 of 4,078
Sure.

1. install driver

2. push directly over WASAPI/ASIO. you can't select it in windows settings that's not how it works

3. on OSX midi control panel goes up to 1536kHz by default, without driver
Thank you for the response.
A friend had sent me over a PGGB file (32/705.6kHz) which I downloaded to my iTunes library, which then transferred over to my Roon library so I could have a listen and compare it to my 16/44.1 file of the same song. I'm running a mid-2012 MacBook Pro via USB directly to my Spring in NOS and have both, the MIDI settings on my Mac set to 32/705.6 and Roon set to 32/705.6 sample rates. When I try to use either music player with the PGGB file, as soon as I press play I lose the signal to my DAC, whereas I can play the file from 44.1 through 384 as well as DSD64 through DSD256 without issue.

What am I missing something here? My friend & I have spent 3 days trying to resolve this issue to no avail and I'd like to compare the files before moving forward with a license. Another strange thing is that the signal path in Roon shows the correct information (see below) but again, I lose the signal when I press play. I reached out to a thread regarding PGGB files on Audiophile Style and asked if the Spring supports up to 768 (which it's supposed too) and I received this response from a member, which really puzzled me? I also reached out to Tim (@bimmer100) but have yet to hear back from him. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Screen_Shot_2021-06-06_at_3.38.15_PM.png

Thank you,
Joseph

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #2,287 of 4,078
PS: Notice in the above post of the signal path snapshot the path icon doesn't have a halo around it (it's just a dot) while the song is playing (supposedly) but as I mentioned, I lose the signal to the DAC as soon as I press play.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #2,289 of 4,078
Thank you for the response.
A friend had sent me over a PGGB file (32/705.6kHz) which I downloaded to my iTunes library, which then transferred over to my Roon library so I could have a listen and compare it to my 16/44.1 file of the same song. I'm running a mid-2012 MacBook Pro via USB directly to my Spring in NOS and have both, the MIDI settings on my Mac set to 32/705.6 and Roon set to 32/705.6 sample rates. When I try to use either music player with the PGGB file, as soon as I press play I lose the signal to my DAC, whereas I can play the file from 44.1 through 384 as well as DSD64 through DSD256 without issue.

What am I missing something here? My friend & I have spent 3 days trying to resolve this issue to no avail and I'd like to compare the files before moving forward with a license. Another strange thing is that the signal path in Roon shows the correct information (see below) but again, I lose the signal when I press play. I reached out to a thread regarding PGGB files on Audiophile Style and asked if the Spring supports up to 768 (which it's supposed too) and I received this response from a member, which really puzzled me? I also reached out to Tim (@bimmer100) but have yet to hear back from him. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Screen_Shot_2021-06-06_at_3.38.15_PM.png

Thank you,
Joseph
I don't understand in your link, what is "16fs 24-bit" ? is this some kind of special format?

I no longer own my spring 2 but I could play 768kHz 24-bit and 1536kHz up to 16-bit without stuttering or issues. 1536kHz 24-bit did not work properly for me on OSX, but it did play on Windows.

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #2,291 of 4,078
I had the Spring 2 KTE and now I have the Holo May KTE. In my system (Susvara and Niimbus US4 amp) the Spring 2 KTE sounded more natural, pleasing with authority bass, perfect midrange and holographic presentation, analog sound.

The Holo May in my system has a not so great tonality. The midrange and upper midrange is more forward, sounds more Hi-fi timbre, the bass is so accurate that loses the robustness that Spring 2 KTE has. The highs are almost the same.

Otherwise the May KTE is more technically correct, it is much cleaner sounding, it has perfect imaging, positioning of instruments were Spring 2 KTE was a little hazy in comparison (this becomes apparent only when competing to May or Chord Dave).

If the May KTE had the Spring 2 KTE timbre, it will be the perfect DAC for me. Hope it will come close with more burn in (around 300 h at this moment).

Hi @zorilon , just wondering how/if things changed with further burn-in of your May DAC ...

I recently acquired a May DAC to compare to my Lampizator Amber 3 and I could literally replace the words "Spring 2 KTE" with "Amber 3" above and it would *exactly* match my feelings about the two. So now I am similarly waiting to see if further burn-in will make any difference ...

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #2,292 of 4,078
Burn in of the May KTE dac from cold out of the box at 200 hours , 400 plus no real significant changes to write home about with no abrupt swings in performance like I read some experience,….

One thing I know absolutely is the May is very sensitive to what you plug it into to .
I can say with confidence I bet many owners haven’t heard all of what their Holo Audio dac has to offer .

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #2,293 of 4,078
I am going test it again, but I believe I did notice a bit of an improvement using the Sonore OpticalRendu instead of the Allo USBridge signature. Others have said that the USB interface is impervious to upstream USB endpoint/source but not entirely sure about that.

Jun 14, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #2,294 of 4,078
I am going test it again, but I believe I did notice a bit of an improvement using the Sonore OpticalRendu instead of the Allo USBridge signature. Others have said that the USB interface is impervious to upstream USB endpoint/source but not entirely sure about that.
I am in this fight right now also :) . I use the Pi2AES recommended by GoldenOne feed by a Farad power supply and found out that if I turn the PLL off, my Holo May KTE seems to sound better than with the PLL on. It really starts to sound real, but not warmer or smoother. Also, I need to change the silver XLR interconnects with some copper ones to see if that will make a change. After the GoldenOne review, I started thinking that maybe Holo May L2 is a better option for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back