Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jul 15, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #2,328 of 4,078
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #2,329 of 4,078
I'm the last in line here! You guys posting your delivery dates and initial impressions?

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,330 of 4,078
I'm the last in line here! You guys posting your delivery dates and initial impressions?
Not wanting to be a downer, but I imagine that it is a little too early yet to expect shipping notifications.

With a 3.5 to 4.5 week lead time I would guess that we won't start getting reports from folks that they have received their shipping notice until around the 2nd week of August at the earliest, and depending where you are in the queue, even longer.

Edit:
Well I’m eating crow. Myself and at least one other in this thread received a shipping notice today. Pretty exciting.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #2,331 of 4,078
Not wanting to be a downer, but I imagine that it is a little too early yet to expect shipping notifications. The Kitsune HiFi page states this:
"These will be first come first serve starting at a lead time (build time) of 3.5-4.5 weeks, shipping may add 4-5 days."

However, the email I received with order confirmation stated:
"THIS IS Special Order item (stock is for positions left to claim) each dac is hand built and once ordered the process begins - Limited runs are being made per month, and a typical production time is around 4.5-5+ weeks. Currently shipping is estimated +3-5days for shipping."

I would guess that we won't start getting reports from folks that they have received their shipping notice until around the 2nd week of August at the earliest, and depending where you are in the queue, even longer.

When you have something custom assembled to order the wait is expected and part of the experience.
Which level did you order of spring?

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #2,332 of 4,078
Jul 15, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #2,333 of 4,078
Does anyone know if the Spring 3 optional pre-amp module contains additional input/output RCA and XLR connectors? I did not see a screen shot on the product page.

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #2,334 of 4,078
Does anyone know if the Spring 3 optional pre-amp module contains additional input/output RCA and XLR connectors? I did not see a screen shot on the product page.
It's just an included analogue output stage. It's fully internal

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #2,335 of 4,078
I am 100% in the Denafrips camp... happy as a clam (not sure why this is a saying, do clams have feelings?). My former regular Terminator was much better than my Yggy A2 which I really enjoyed, Chord Qutest (will be sold after Holo 3 arrives), Bel Canto and lots of other DAC's not worth mentioning.

Then I upgraded my regular Terminator to Terminator Plus/Gaia for my speaker system (holy **** this is a great combo), then bought a Venus 2/Iris combo for my headphone system. Alvin's customer service is off the charts good, they have two USA-based service centers if ever needed, and in terms of sonics, my Denafrips DAC's just nail it for me (large holographic soundstage, all the details, presented in an organic, non-fatiguing manner).

Well, I wanted a new DAC for my office at work, which currently has my Qutest in service. I don't have the shelf space for a DDC, DAC, Preamp and Amp and my source is my work PC (not ideal). Unfortunately, Denafrips doesn't have anything in the current DAC line up that incorporates analog volume control and usb input that is on par with I2S, as I2S is superior on Denafrips DAC's.

I've never heard a Holo, but have always been curious. The Holo Spring 3 KTE with preamp module (I prefer preamps to direct DAC to amp, and also prefer analog volume control to digital attenuation), eliminates the need for a separate preamp and from reports, the usb input with PLL/Titanis 2.0 (found only in the May 2, May KTE and Spring 3 KTE) does an excellent job at killing source noise and jitter that will surely flow from my work PC and supposedly usb input is sonically on par with I2S input with Titanis 2.0, so no DDC needed.

So, I ordered on 7/4 and got my shipping notice today. 11 days from ordering to shipping, not bad! Estimated delivery from Hong Kong to arrival here in Salt Lake City is 7/22.

Will do a thorough burning in and then provide comments.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #2,336 of 4,078
I am 100% in the Denafrips camp... happy as a clam (not sure why this is a saying, do clams have feelings?). My former regular Terminator was much better than my Yggy A2 which I really enjoyed, Chord Qutest (will be sold after Holo 3 arrives), Bel Canto and lots of other DAC's not worth mentioning.

Then I upgraded my regular Terminator to Terminator Plus/Gaia for speakers (holy **** this is a great combo), then bought a Venus 2/Iris combo for my headphone system. Alvin's customer service is off the charts good, they have two USA-based service centers if ever needed, and in terms of sonics, my Denafrips DAC's just nail it for me (large holographic soundstage, all the details, presented in an organic, non-fatiguing manner).

Well, I wanted a new DAC for my office at work, which currently has my Qutest in service. I don't have the shelf space for a DDC, DAC, Preamp and Amp and my source is my work PC (not ideal). Unfortunately, Denafrips doesn't have anything in the current DAC line up that would fit my constrained space requirements in my office system.

I've never heard a Holo, but have always been curious. The Holo Spring 3 KTE with preamp module (I prefer preamps to direct DAC to amp, and also prefer analog volume control), eliminates the need for a DDC and separate preamp and from reports, the usb input with PLL/Titanis 2.0 (found only in the May 2, May KTE and Spring 3 KTE) does an excellent job at killing source noise and jitter that will surely flow from my work PC.

So, I ordered on 7/4 and got my shipping notice today. 11 days from ordering to shipping, not bad! Estimated delivery from Hong Kong to arrival here in Salt Lake City is 7/22.

Thats a fast 5 week's lol

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #2,337 of 4,078

Then I upgraded my regular Terminator to Terminator Plus/Gaia for speakers (holy **** this is a great combo), then bought a Venus 2/Iris combo for my headphone system. Alvin's customer service is off the charts good, they have two USA-based service centers if ever needed, and in terms of sonics, my Denafrips DAC's just nail it for me (large holographic soundstage, all the details, presented in an organic, non-fatiguing manner).

Well, I wanted a new DAC for my office at work, which currently has my Qutest in service. I don't have the shelf space for a DDC, DAC, Preamp and Amp and my source is my work PC (not ideal). Unfortunately, Denafrips doesn't have anything in the current DAC line up that incorporates analog volume and usb input that is on par with I2S, as I2S is superior on Denafrips DAC's.

I've never heard a Holo, but have always been curious. The Holo Spring 3 KTE with preamp module (I prefer preamps to direct DAC to amp, and also prefer analog volume control to digital attenuation), eliminates the need for a separate preamp and from reports, the usb input with PLL/Titanis 2.0 (found only in the May 2, May KTE and Spring 3 KTE) does an excellent job at killing source noise and jitter that will surely flow from my work PC and supposedly usb input is sonically on par with I2S input with Titanis 2.0, so no DDC needed.

Curious did you order your Spring 3 from Tim at Kitsune HiFi? Aka Holo Audio USA? I got a notice today as well from DHL something from HK JYK supply. I thought it was a phishing attempt. I would have thought it would have come from holo audio USA

Jul 15, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #2,338 of 4,078
Curious did you order your Spring 3 from Tim at Kitsune HiFi? Aka Holo Audio USA? I got a notice today as well from DHL something from HK JYK supply. I thought it was a phishing attempt. I would have thought it would have come from holo audio USA
I ordered from Tim at Kitsune. The DHL notice you received is legit. Tim just facilitates the order placement. He doesn't handle or oversee the shipping aspects.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #2,339 of 4,078
I ordered from Tim at Kitsune. The DHL notice you received is legit. Tim just facilitates the order placement. He doesn't handle or oversee the shipping aspects.
Super helpful information. Now I know what to expect as well.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #2,340 of 4,078
Not wanting to be a downer, but I imagine that it is a little too early yet to expect shipping notifications.

With a 3.5 to 4.5 lead time I would guess that we won't start getting reports from folks that they have received their shipping notice until around the 2nd week of August at the earliest, and depending where you are in the queue, even longer.

Edit:
Well I’m eating crow. Myself and at least one other in this thread received a shipping notice today. Pretty exciting.
When did you order? As previously we see his build time was only eleven days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back