Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 19, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,087 of 4,067
Also try PCM 16x upsampling(705.6/768) then poly-sinc-long-lp using the new LNS15 dither. Excellent clean and 3d sounding. DSD upsampling has less dynamics IME. Sinc-M is also good with the sound having more body.

so when i got my singxer su-6 and new dacs, all i could think about was upsampling to DSD..

i just tried PCM upsampling to sinc M and LNS15 and you are right.. it does sound more dynamic than DSD. thanks for the recommendation! i feel like i've been missing out on a lot haha at present, i'm limited to 352.8k due to the Singxer, but i will try to just go direct from PC to dac and try out 705.6/768 and see how it goes.

thanks man!

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #2,088 of 4,067
so when i got my singxer su-6 and new dacs, all i could think about was upsampling to DSD..

i just tried PCM upsampling to sinc M and LNS15 and you are right.. it does sound more dynamic than DSD. thanks for the recommendation! i feel like i've been missing out on a lot haha at present, i'm limited to 352.8k due to the Singxer, but i will try to just go direct from PC to dac and try out 705.6/768 and see how it goes.

thanks man!

Why not sell SU-6 and buy the brand new SU-2. supports crazy high pcm and dsd rates

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #2,089 of 4,067
Why not sell SU-6 and buy the brand new SU-2. supports crazy high pcm and dsd rates

that is a good question..
read somewhere that the su-6 would sound better, and had a better power supply. anyways, no biggie. i just recently got the su-6 so i will probably keep it around for a while. and i think i have another bottle neck for higher sample rates to consider, which is my PC.

by the way, after a day or so of running music through the Holo, it is a lot more enjoyable now!

has anyone here ordered the new Holo Audio May dac?

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #2,090 of 4,067
What is the advantage of converting PCM to higher rate DSD? Conversion incurs losses in the format change. Does the Holo not have a digital filter i.e. bitperfect no upsampling? If yes, then it may be useless to do DSD. If it has a filter, then may help avoiding the pitfalls of that (filter).

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #2,091 of 4,067
Hi to everyone!
I am a two months owner of this beautiful DAC.
I listen mostly on Susvara and Niimbus US4 amp and it is the first combo that gives me horizontal and vertical imaging, in NOS mode. I don’t like to up sample this DAC. It has the most natural tone and correct placement of instruments in simple NOS mode. And this is the first DAC I own that really has sub bass! (I had Chord Dave, Chord Hugo TT 1,2, Schiit Yggdrasil 1,2)

Even though I use only the USB input at the moment, at first it was enough.
After I had for a couple of days an Intona, I saw that more was possible and I start trying products from Ifi Audio. All of this gadgets alter the natural tone but they make me realize something.

The biggest improvement I made (keeping the natural tone) was when I use the iFi AUDIO Gemini3.0 Dual-Head USB cable to feed music data directly from my MacBook Pro with the data side, and feeding the power for the Holo Spring USB with the power side straight from the Ifi Micro USB 3.0. The clean power that comes to the USB module of the DAC makes a significant difference. The sound is perfect, stereo imaging is perfect, with distinctive layers and a out of your head perseption.

It is a relatively cheap upgrade if you can find a used Ifi Gemini cable (don’t know other companies that produce this kind of cable) and a clean power USB hub like Ifi Nano USB 3.0. The regenerator and all the other nonsense things don’t really work but the clean power that no computer or laptop can provide really makes the difference!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #2,094 of 4,067
Hi to all Head-Fiers on this thread !

Does anyone have had the very very rare version of this beautiful DAC, the Holo Spring 2 "Wild Edition Extreme" modded by Wildism Audio in Hong Kong ?
(https://www.wildismaudio.com/blogs/news/2019-holo-audio-r2r-spring2-wild-edition-extreme)
Because I hesitate between this very nice modding VS the very well known "Kitsuné Tuned Edition", which is no longer has nothing to prove...

I'm not an Audio engineer or any technical expert of the specific R2R DAC capabilities,
but, after some research, I have the strange feeling that the Holo Spring 2 "Wild Edition Extreme" is maybe THE ultimate version of the Spring 2 !?!
It does really seems to be the very best High End version currently available of this DAC, even better than the Kitsuné mod, to reach the best audiophile results as possible
with the Holo Audio Spring II...

Maybe I'm completely wrong ?

What do you think about it ?

Thanks a lot for your replies...

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #2,095 of 4,067

Does anyone have had the very very rare version of this beautiful DAC, the Holo Spring 2 "Wild Edition Extreme" modded by Wildism Audio in Hong Kong ?
(https://www.wildismaudio.com/blogs/news/2019-holo-audio-r2r-spring2-wild-edition-extreme)
Because I hesitate between this very nice modding VS the very well known "Kitsuné Tuned Edition", which is no longer has nothing to prove...

I'm not an Audio engineer or any technical expert of the specific R2R DAC capabilities,
but, after some research, I have the strange feeling that the Holo Spring 2 "Wild Edition Extreme" is maybe THE ultimate version of the Spring 2 !?!
It does really seems to be the very best High End version currently available of this DAC, even better than the Kitsuné mod, to reach the best audiophile results as possible

I went with the Wild Edition. No regrets. Of course, disclaimer is I've not listened to the kitsune version..

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #2,097 of 4,067
How much did it cost to you and when did you buy it ?

Do you listen DSD files, Hi-Res files and /or CD files ?

I think I paid around sgd4k.
Roon+tidal upsampled to Dsd and pcm in hqplayer and sent to dac running NOS mode.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #2,098 of 4,067

I've ordered the spring 2 wildism to Europe. you can contact wildism so you could order it from them.

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #2,099 of 4,067
I think I paid around sgd4k.
Roon+tidal upsampled to Dsd and pcm in hqplayer and sent to dac running NOS mode.
Hi did you have to pay GST when it was delivered to you? Can you remember how much? I’m thinking of getting this as a 60th birthday present to myself and trying to figure out how much it will cost me in total.

Apr 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #2,100 of 4,067
Wildism accepts payment via paypal and its in HKD, I think I paid 24k HKD. Thats without shipping, I didn't have shipping as I visit HK for a vacation that time and the owner delivered it free to my hotel. Wildism has a FB page and the owner was very responsive you could ask there also. He will even explain how its parts are more superior than kitsune.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back