Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Apr 17, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,101 of 4,063
Hi to everyone!
I am a two months owner of this beautiful DAC.
I listen mostly on Susvara and Niimbus US4 amp and it is the first combo that gives me horizontal and vertical imaging, in NOS mode. I don’t like to up sample this DAC. It has the most natural tone and correct placement of instruments in simple NOS mode. And this is the first DAC I own that really has sub bass! (I had Chord Dave, Chord Hugo TT 1,2, Schiit Yggdrasil 1,2)

Even though I use only the USB input at the moment, at first it was enough.
After I had for a couple of days an Intona, I saw that more was possible and I start trying products from Ifi Audio. All of this gadgets alter the natural tone but they make me realize something.

The biggest improvement I made (keeping the natural tone) was when I use the iFi AUDIO Gemini3.0 Dual-Head USB cable to feed music data directly from my MacBook Pro with the data side, and feeding the power for the Holo Spring USB with the power side straight from the Ifi Micro USB 3.0. The clean power that comes to the USB module of the DAC makes a significant difference. The sound is perfect, stereo imaging is perfect, with distinctive layers and a out of your head persecution.

It is a relatively cheap upgrade if you can find a used Ifi Gemini cable (don’t know other companies that produce this kind of cable) and a clean power USB hub like Ifi Nano USB 3.0. The regenerator and all the other nonsense things don’t really work but the clean power that no computer or laptop can provide really makes the difference!

I agree, I set this dac to NOS and enjoy the music. :)
It is a wonderful piece of gear.

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #2,102 of 4,063
Hi did you have to pay GST when it was delivered to you? Can you remember how much? I’m thinking of getting this as a 60th birthday present to myself and trying to figure out how much it will cost me in total.

I can't remember if I did. It was a short while ago but my memory fails me.

What dac are you using at present?

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #2,103 of 4,063
Wildism accepts payment via paypal and its in HKD, I think I paid 24k HKD. Thats without shipping, I didn't have shipping as I visit HK for a vacation that time and the owner delivered it free to my hotel.
Oh that’s great! How long ago was that? Travel is just a bit difficult these days
I've ordered the spring 2 wildism to Europe. you can contact wildism so you could order it from them.
May I ask your thinking behind ordering the Wildism vs the KTE? Have you ordered the Extreme?

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #2,104 of 4,063
I can't remember if I did. It was a short while ago but my memory fails me.

What dac are you using at present?
I understand. I’m using a very low cost but great value for money Chifi Dac the SMSL M8A. I was very pleasantly satisfied with the sound which is clear and incisive but always fatigueing after a few hours. I’ve lived with this for a few years but now want to treat myself for my 60th. I’ve never heard a NOS dac so am being very cautious. Unsure also between the Extreme from Wildism and the Kitsune L3.

Apr 17, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #2,105 of 4,063
I understand. I’m using a very low cost but great value for money Chifi Dac the SMSL M8A. I was very pleasantly satisfied with the sound which is clear and incisive but always fatigueing after a few hours. I’ve lived with this for a few years but now want to treat myself for my 60th. I’ve never heard a NOS dac so am being very cautious. Unsure also between the Extreme from Wildism and the Kitsune L3.

Some people prefer completely non upsampled music. I have tried sending both non upsampled and upsampled to the Holo (in NOS mode) and I prefer it with upsampled music. I also prefer the Holo in NOS mode. I think the OS modes take some getting used to.

For the price, I think kitsune l3 and wild edition are similar, but you get more upgrades with the wild. The guy from Wildism was very helpful and responsive, and that really helped me make my decision too.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #2,107 of 4,063
Wildism extreme, yes. It has more mods than KTE :)
What is your chain feeding the Extreme? I’m currently using the standard beginner’s ROON setup of core on a pc feeding the dac via USB controlled by iPad. If I get the Wildism Extreme will I need to get other boxes to do Spif/AES etc.? I am 100% a 2 channel speaker listener. No headphone use at all.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #2,108 of 4,063
What is your chain feeding the Extreme? I’m currently using the standard beginner’s ROON setup of core on a pc feeding the dac via USB controlled by iPad. If I get the Wildism Extreme will I need to get other boxes to do Spif/AES etc.? I am 100% a 2 channel speaker listener. No headphone use at all.

Use the USB out from your pc. I'm sure the Holo will do just fine with USB. If you feel the need to splurge, there is always the Curious and Curious Evolved USB cable ha ha ha!

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #2,109 of 4,063
Some people prefer completely non upsampled music. I have tried sending both non upsampled and upsampled to the Holo (in NOS mode) and I prefer it with upsampled music. I also prefer the Holo in NOS mode. I think the OS modes take some getting used to.

For the price, I think kitsune l3 and wild edition are similar, but you get more upgrades with the wild. The guy from Wildism was very helpful and responsive, and that really helped me make my decision too.
Yes I was texting with him last night and he seems very honest and upfront. Seems more techie than salesy. My experience with DACs is very limited that’s why I’m asking so many questions about NOS. I get the idea that it’s for a niche audience so I’m hesitating.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #2,110 of 4,063
I just used USB and NOS setting

Apr 18, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #2,111 of 4,063
Oh that’s great! How long ago was that? Travel is just a bit difficult these days

May I ask your thinking behind ordering the Wildism vs the KTE? Have you ordered the Extreme?

Purchased mine March last year, here is the spec of the mod from our convo if you havent asked already. Just based on the spec of the mod, also the kitsune one does not publish any info about their mod. So ive gone for the extreme.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 9.24.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #2,113 of 4,063
Hi guys,

I’m considering getting the Level 2 Spring 2 instead of the KTE. How’s on the detail on that compared to the KTE? Is the KTE differences worth the extra $700? That’s a fair chunk of change I’d say so if the performance is subtle I’d rather spend that money improving other parts of my system.

Apr 25, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #2,114 of 4,063
Hi guys,

I’m considering getting the Level 2 Spring 2 instead of the KTE. How’s on the detail on that compared to the KTE? Is the KTE differences worth the extra $700? That’s a fair chunk of change I’d say so if the performance is subtle I’d rather spend that money improving other parts of my system.
From another forum ppl are saying not that difference(2%-3%) from L1 to L3.

Apr 25, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #2,115 of 4,063
From another forum ppl are saying not that difference(2%-3%) from L1 to L3.

Wow is that for the Spring 1 or 2?! If that’s all then that’s a huge amount of savings especially since the Spring 2 seems to have a better USB implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back