Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 7, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #2,056 of 4,063
They also have this spring level 2 wildism edition, which the seller mentions has more and better upgrades than the KTE version. Has anyone here tried the Wildism spring 2?

The spring 2 I owned was the Wildism edition. loved it to bits. it has all capacitors upgraded to audio note ones at very high capacitor values.

The Spring May will also come in a Level 2 version with customized Holo capacitors though, which will be >= spring 2 KTE/Wildism. But also a lot more pricy.

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #2,057 of 4,063
The spring 2 I owned was the Wildism edition. loved it to bits. it has all capacitors upgraded to audio note ones at very high capacitor values.

The Spring May will also come in a Level 2 version with customized Holo capacitors though, which will be >= spring 2 KTE/Wildism. But also a lot more pricy.

Me too has the wild extreme edition of the spring 2. I have posted pics of my exact unit and Baten also few pages back. Try comparing it to the pics or lack thereof the lvl3 kitsune version.

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #2,058 of 4,063
Have just pulled the trigger and sent payment for the Wildism edition. Can't wait!

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #2,059 of 4,063
While there are better and better "delta-sigma" topology dacs out there, with greater details and space...
You will find that the sound of "R2R" implementation type dacs will always be superior in certain aspects, such as a more realisticly displayed sonic image, regardless of detail level presentation .
You were right. The DX7 Pro may measure well, but it was lacking considerably in warmth and musicality. Sold it already and the Spring continues to reign supreme. I liked the look of the new May.......then I saw the price. Ouch!

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #2,060 of 4,063
Notified from Wildism that my spring2 has just completed modding and is undergoing qc before getting sent out to me.

He suggests 3 to 400 hrs of breaking in and to leave the dac on continuously to keep it warm.

Question on the break in process..
If I have a singxer su-6, can I connect it to my current dac and the holo spring at the same time? Meaning I continue my listening with my current dac to amp, and have music running concurrently into the holo spring (without an output connection). Will this still constitute as breaking it in or if needs to be connected to an output/amp?

Also, will music quality degrade having two connections to the singxer simultaneously?

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #2,061 of 4,063
Notified from Wildism that my spring2 has just completed modding and is undergoing qc before getting sent out to me.

He suggests 3 to 400 hrs of breaking in and to leave the dac on continuously to keep it warm.

If I have a singxer su-6, can I connect it to my current dac and the holo spring at the same time? Meaning I continue my listening with my current dac to amp, and have music running concurrently into the holo spring (without an output connection). Will this still constitute as breaking it in or if needs to be connected to an output/amp?

Also, will music quality degrade having two connections to the singxer simultaneously?
From a level2 owner I think the holo spring 2 is enjoyable enough before so call running in, just enjoy the nos sound

Jan 9, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #2,062 of 4,063

Yes the singxer can output to multiple devices at once, no problem with that whatsoever.

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #2,063 of 4,063
Received the spring 2 a few weeks back. But only managed to get it out of the box last night.

I installed the drivers from the kitsune website.

Some questions..
1) Do I also have to upgrade the usb firmware?
2) if yes to 1, which USB firmware version do I use? Mine is the Wildism Edition spring 2.
3) I upsample in hqplayer to dsd512 and the spring 2 plays it just fine. But if I try to upsample to dsd1024, no playback happens. Can I ask what dsd1024 settings you guys are using? I think it may be my pc that's the bottleneck with not enough processing power.. (?)

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #2,064 of 4,063
Received the spring 2 a few weeks back. But only managed to get it out of the box last night.

I installed the drivers from the kitsune website.

Some questions..

3) I upsample in hqplayer to dsd512 and the spring 2 plays it just fine. But if I try to upsample to dsd1024, no playback happens. Can I ask what dsd1024 settings you guys are using? I think it may be my pc that's the bottleneck with not enough processing power.. (?)
About (3)...Are you connecting it directly or through SU-6?

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #2,065 of 4,063
About (3)...Are you connecting it directly or through SU-6?

At present, yes, it is going thru singxer su-6 and to holo using iis.

In the future I may move the Holo to my office and use the USB port.

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #2,066 of 4,063
At present, yes, it is going thru singxer su-6 and to holo using iis.

In the future I may move the Holo to my office and use the USB port.

Based on the specification, SU-6 is the bottleneck, it can only go up to DSD512.

Technical indicators:
Sample rate supported by each output interface:
PCM: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz,176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz, 384KHz

DSD: 2.8 MHz (DSD64) - DoP, native
5.6 MHz (DSD128) - DoP, native
11.2 MHz (DSD256) - DoP, native
22.5 MHz (DSD512) - native

Bit width: up to 32 bit over I2S output
Up to 24 bit over S/PDI, AES/EBU

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #2,067 of 4,063
Based on the specification, SU-6 is the bottleneck, it can only go up to DSD512.

Technical indicators:
Sample rate supported by each output interface:
PCM: 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz,176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz, 384KHz

DSD: 2.8 MHz (DSD64) - DoP, native
5.6 MHz (DSD128) - DoP, native
11.2 MHz (DSD256) - DoP, native
22.5 MHz (DSD512) - native

Bit width: up to 32 bit over I2S output
Up to 24 bit over S/PDI, AES/EBU

Oh man I totally missed that. Thanks for pointing that out!!

Feb 18, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #2,069 of 4,063
You may still have issue upsample to DSD1024 by connecting it to USB port if your computer is not powerful enough, but at least you will hear the dropouts rather than silent.

OK so I tried using PC to Holo 2 directly via USB cable.

For some reason it doesn't convert to DSD, but only to pcm 352.8 which plays back fine on the Holo.

These are the settings.. Any idea what's wrong?

20200219_060020.jpg

Feb 18, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #2,070 of 4,063
OK I figured it out..
For some reason I need to change hqplayer settings, then exit hqplayer, then restart it, before playback is successful..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back