1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by mtoc, Jun 2, 2016.
First

Back
126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135
  1. aisnikkor
    I keep seeing the negative references to DSD performance with the Spring 2, and I could not disagree more with this point. I am using DSD upsampled to DSD512 with HQplayer, and getting the best sound I’ve ever got from my system. Upsampled 44.1 stuff is also good, but not the same level I’m getting with DSD files. This is comparing RB audio and DSD from the same SACDs. DSD has a more lifelike 3D quality that is addictive on the Spring 2. I have more than doubled the size of my SACD collection since acquiring this DAC last year (150 or so new SACDs). Enjoying 44.1 stuff too, but DSD is where I’m getting the most enjoyment from the Spring 2.

bimmer100 likes this.
  2. BlueDL
    I flick between DSD512 and PCM384 depending on music genre and whether listening through speakers or my headphone rig. I use HQPlayer Embedded with Roon hosted on a Sonictransporter i7, Spring Mk 1 Level 1 in NOS fed i2s from a modded Singxer SU-1.
    I could imagine people who have a smooth-sounding replay chain finding DSD ‘dull’, but my rig (especially the headphone set-up) is quite revealing and plays nicely with DSD.

3. Currawong Contributor
    It's a bit different using speakers, where soundstage depth is very noticeable, especially with high-quality 2-channel recordings. I've found most headphone combinations don't portray depth very well, so it might not be missed as much.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  4. eee1111
    the gsx mk2 sounds great with the KTE. NOS i2s PCM

I have not tried DSD anything. I have read that from people. So I don't have any experience.

5. TubeDriver
    Has anyone directly compared original Spring DAC vs new Spring ver 2? I am pretty happy with my original Spring LVL 1 DAC (with upgraded XU208 USB module) but wonder if the newer version 2 would be worth getting?

6. Baten
    The new Spring2 has a top-tier/TOTL USB module. Super good driver, latency and super stable. Just rock solid. If you have an external good I2S device you probably don't need USB though.
    Other than that it is specced slightly better and outputs a normal 2V/4V unbalanced/balanced, original spring has much hotter output which might be good/bad depending on set-up.

Overall it is probably not " worth " upgrading unless you need something of what I just mentioned. Or if you don't yet own a spring, then jumping straight to spring 2 makes sense to me.

TubeDriver likes this.
  7. TubeDriver
    Thanks. I use a passive autoformer preamp with low gain amp so the higher outputs of the Spring v1 is useful to me.

8. BlueDL
    I’m going to compare my Level 1 v1 Spring and Sennheiser HDVA600 amp with a Topping DX7 Pro DAC/Amp to see if an ESS 9038pro can sound as good as the Spring does in NOS mode. I got the DX7 Pro at a good price so I should be able to recoup most of the money if my existing rig beats the newcomer and continues to reign supreme.

First

Back
126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135