Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jul 19, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #2,012 of 4,063
Does anyone get a chance to listen to both Spring 3 and Yggy A2? Could you do a biref comparison?

Thank you.

I dunno how many will respond but I can give you this.....

I have not owned the yggy but I did own the Gumby.

I have listened to the yggy in the past and just recently and I liked it a lot. But....the edges are rough on schiit DACs. They’re piercing. The KTE isn’t. It must have something to do with the delta sigma vs r2r design.

I just got rid of my Gumby because I don’t use it. It wasn’t anywhere near as good as the KTE. Worlds apart imo.

So take my impression of the Gumby and look at someone’s Gumby vs yggy. Maybe it will help.

My amp is a gsxmk2

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #2,013 of 4,063
I have listened to the yggy in the past and just recently and I liked it a lot. But....the edges are rough on schiit DACs. They’re piercing. The KTE isn’t. It must have something to do with the delta sigma vs r2r design.

I just got rid of my Gumby because I don’t use it. It wasn’t anywhere near as good as the KTE. Worlds apart imo.

So take my impression of the Gumby and look at someone’s Gumby vs yggy. Maybe it will help.

My amp is a gsxmk2
Do you listen to 44/48khz? if so you're liking the NOS sound I believe =) spring excels at it

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #2,014 of 4,063
Does anyone get a chance to listen to both Spring 3 and Yggy A2? Could you do a biref comparison?

Thank you.
Don't call it that :-D
There are...
  • Spring Level 1
  • Spring Level 2
  • Spring KTE aka Level 3
  • Spring 2 Level 1
  • Spring 2 Level 2
  • Spring 2 KTE
I recently got a Spring 2 KTE and did a few comparisons, running both off of a Singxer SU-1 KTE, I2S into the Spring 2 KTE with the best sounding of my five short HDMI cables, and BNC into the Yggdrasil (Analog 2). Spring 2 KTE in NOS mode, which sounds best to me.

I like both from a tonality point of view, but the Spring 2 KTE sounds sluggish in comparison. The Yggy is faster, i.e. more dynamic, more visceral, sounds more lively. So far, anyway, I'm about threw weeks in.

With Yggy driven by a different DDC that turned out to not be bitperfect when clocked externally, I had some harshness that got better with different XLR cables into the Schiit Ragnarok 2. I later switched to the internal clock and the harshness went away completely. I mention that because if the Yggdrasil sounds unpleasant, the cables used may contribute to it. I've never noticed cable differences as much as with the Ragnarok 2, though.

I mostly compared with speakers, but had the same impression with my Ether C Flows.

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #2,015 of 4,063
Neither of the DACs is delta sigma based. Gumby = Gungnir Multibit, i.e not the delta sigma version.

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #2,020 of 4,063
I do believe he meant NOS dac vs oversampling (schiit 'comboburrito') instead or R2R<->DS. simple mistake

My issue with the schiit sound was that it sounded metallic and forced.
Don't call it that :-D
There are...
  • Spring Level 1
  • Spring Level 2
  • Spring KTE aka Level 3
  • Spring 2 Level 1
  • Spring 2 Level 2
  • Spring 2 KTE
I recently got a Spring 2 KTE and did a few comparisons, running both off of a Singxer SU-1 KTE, I2S into the Spring 2 KTE with the best sounding of my five short HDMI cables, and BNC into the Yggdrasil (Analog 2). Spring 2 KTE in NOS mode, which sounds best to me.

I like both from a tonality point of view, but the Spring 2 KTE sounds sluggish in comparison. The Yggy is faster, i.e. more dynamic, more visceral, sounds more lively. So far, anyway, I'm about threw weeks in.

With Yggy driven by a different DDC that turned out to not be bitperfect when clocked externally, I had some harshness that got better with different XLR cables into the Schiit Ragnarok 2. I later switched to the internal clock and the harshness went away completely. I mention that because if the Yggdrasil sounds unpleasant, the cables used may contribute to it. I've never noticed cable differences as much as with the Ragnarok 2, though.

I mostly compared with speakers, but had the same impression with my Ether C Flows.

My comparison is with he1000v2 and lcd3

I also don’t like schiit amps either. Mjolnir 2 and ragnarock were not enjoyable. But that’s just me.

So maybe it’s just the gsx mk2 hates schiit. And the spring level 3 hates their amps.

Never listened to the c flow.

This is all just my ears obviously. I’m sure when it comes to preference it is going to be different from person to person. A TON of this hobby is just the tiniest things that people like or dislike. Even buying cables that are 1000 dollars when 300 dollar cables sound exactly the same.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #2,021 of 4,063
I’ve also not had the chance to hear the su1 KTE version.

I wonder if it really makes a difference.

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #2,022 of 4,063
I’ve also not had the chance to hear the su1 KTE version.
I wonder if it really makes a difference.

You can get a ghent audio modding kit https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc99.html (i got the OFC cable version) and a 5V external PSU instead if you want to mod a SU-1 the easy way.

But there is an SU-6 nowadays, powered by internal supercapacitors. Rather than fooling around with SU-1 it really makes more sense to spend that money on SU-6. No one modded SU-6 yet (kitsune etc), because there's no point.. :)

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #2,024 of 4,063
I also don’t like schiit amps either. Mjolnir 2 and ragnarock were not enjoyable. But that’s just me.

I only heard the Ragnarok 1 briefly at the California Audio Show last year, and it sounded cold and harsh to me as well (out of my Ether C Flow). I think I heard the Mjolnir 2 the year before but nothing stood out... but I had a lot less experience back then. The Lyr 3 last year sounded very sweet and enjoyable, but not as resolving as the Jotunheim, which wasn't as sweet, both with the same multibit DAC module. I still have my Jotunheim (with AK4490 DAC module) and like it, but prefer the Gustard H20, especially with the right opamps. More refined, better sound stage, more resolving. The Ragnarok 2 is practically on par when using my Ether (C) Flows balanced, but otherwise not as good to my ears.

So maybe it’s just the gsx mk2 hates schiit. And the spring level 3 hates their amps.
Possible, I briefly heard the Spring KTE with the GS-X Mk2 and what little I heard sounded impressive. But even with the Gustard H20 I hear the differences I described, the Spring 2 KTE can't quite keep up with the music, it seems.

This is all just my ears obviously. I’m sure when it comes to preference it is going to be different from person to person. A TON of this hobby is just the tiniest things that people like or dislike.
Definitely. It's good to know when people have different impressions, rather than assuming that one impression is the one true impression.

It would be really funny if we're hearing the same thing, but I perceive the Spring 2 KTE as sluggish, while you consider the Yggdrasil to have rough edges. But that might be the case.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #2,025 of 4,063
I only heard the Ragnarok 1 briefly at the California Audio Show last year, and it sounded cold and harsh to me as well (out of my Ether C Flow). I think I heard the Mjolnir 2 the year before but nothing stood out... but I had a lot less experience back then. The Lyr 3 last year sounded very sweet and enjoyable, but not as resolving as the Jotunheim, which wasn't as sweet, both with the same multibit DAC module. I still have my Jotunheim (with AK4490 DAC module) and like it, but prefer the Gustard H20, especially with the right opamps. More refined, better sound stage, more resolving. The Ragnarok 2 is practically on par when using my Ether (C) Flows balanced, but otherwise not as good to my ears.

Possible, I briefly heard the Spring KTE with the GS-X Mk2 and what little I heard sounded impressive. But even with the Gustard H20 I hear the differences I described, the Spring 2 KTE can't quite keep up with the music, it seems.

Definitely. It's good to know when people have different impressions, rather than assuming that one impression is the one true impression.

It would be really funny if we're hearing the same thing, but I perceive the Spring 2 KTE as sluggish, while you consider the Yggdrasil to have rough edges. But that might be the case.

Yeah. Pretty much.

My experience with the KTE has been limited to nos pcm.

People who have used DSD say it sucks.
People who use speakers say it is sluggish.

I’ve definitely heard these complaints.

And I do think that the forward presentation of the schiit dacs are a negative.

So there is definitely an ear thing goin on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back