Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jun 21, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #1,996 of 4,063
I thought that DSD, whether native or via re-sampling, sounds flat through the Spring. The up-sampling mode I liked the most was to 384k using poly-sync-xt through the SU-1 KTE at 20-bit using HQPlayer.

Jun 22, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #1,997 of 4,063
Looking forward to seeing a few comparisons with the Yiggy. Interested in both DACs. Like will use Audiobyte Hydra Z for i2s conversion

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,998 of 4,063
Looking forward to seeing a few comparisons with the Yiggy. Interested in both DACs. Like will use Audiobyte Hydra Z for i2s conversion

its really tough for me to make a choice between the spring and yiggy

you can't go wrong with either

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #1,999 of 4,063
Here's my review, including a comparison with the Yggy.

Jul 4, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #2,001 of 4,063

that was a fantastic well done review. I appreciated the history and the comparisons from my informal comparisons with the Yggy (a touch drier) line up well with yours. I've been constantly moving my system towards musical rather than revealing and have found the HS KTE to fit the bill. I also found your information about DSD sounding flat interesting since that seems to be so much the rage with folks using HQplayer (haven't yet played with it much myself). I also found your review of feeding it 20-bit sound to be interesting that it smoothed it even more and it sounded like you thought perhaps a touch overly so. In any case, thanks for such a well done review.

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #2,003 of 4,063
Oh I see

Spring 2 is the newest version.

The KTE now has a logo on the top. The KTE I have doesn’t.

Holo spring level 1-3 (3 being KTE)
Holo spring 2 level 1-2-KTE

Not so hot at naming imo

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,004 of 4,063

Absolutely awesome review! Super helpful!! I use a DNA Stratus which I think is similar to your amps; tubes but not overly warm. Very fast and musical.

You refer to the Holo multiple times as musical or warm side of the spectrum. Did you feel like it sacrificed anything as a result? Like detail or sounstaging etc? Any downside to it?

Also, did you like high Rez like DSD in NOS mode? Or still no? I do listen to resolutions beyond 44.1 so wanted to be sure.

Thanks!!! And again amazing reveiw

Jul 4, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #2,005 of 4,063
that was a fantastic well done review.
I finally got mine yesterday, in case you want to hear one again yourself. :wink:

Holo spring level 1-3 (3 being KTE)
Holo spring 2 level 1-2-KTE

Not so hot at naming imo
I agree, already had someone who thought I wanted the Spring Level 2 when I mentioned wanting to buy a Spring 2 KTE (he didn't know about the newer model).

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #2,007 of 4,063
I listen to my KTE L3 in nothing but NOS mode...I can't find a reason to change it from my ears.
Two tube amps a GOTL and a GEL3N and a GSX mk2 all sound incredible and musical.
I have heard many describe the GSX mk2 as bright. This is certainly not the case to my ears when using this dac.

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #2,008 of 4,063
Absolutely awesome review! Super helpful!! I use a DNA Stratus which I think is similar to your amps; tubes but not overly warm. Very fast and musical.

You refer to the Holo multiple times as musical or warm side of the spectrum. Did you feel like it sacrificed anything as a result? Like detail or sounstaging etc? Any downside to it?

Also, did you like high Rez like DSD in NOS mode? Or still no? I do listen to resolutions beyond 44.1 so wanted to be sure.

Thanks!!! And again amazing reveiw

It's difficult to answer about soundstage. The only DACs I've had here which accurately portrays soundstage width and depth (which I have only ever heard reproduced by speakers or the Focal Utopias and SR009s -- not that I've tried this with all high-end headphones so there will probably be others) have been the Hugo 2 and DAVE (I haven't had the TT2 here yet). However, for most headphones I've used, you don't get a true sense of depth reproduced anyway, so the difference in soundstage between digital filters (or no digital filter, ie: NOS) is not so apparent.

Maybe I summarised it too fast in the video, so it might have been easy to miss. DSD sounded flat and lacking in dynamics. High-res PCM sounded smoother than 44.1, and smoother than from the Yggdrasil or Hugo 2. I should probably switch to using the trick of saying the same thing three different ways in my videos so that nobody misses these things. :)

Jul 4, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #2,009 of 4,063
It's difficult to answer about soundstage. The only DACs I've had here which accurately portrays soundstage width and depth (which I have only ever heard reproduced by speakers or the Focal Utopias and SR009s -- not that I've tried this with all high-end headphones so there will probably be others) have been the Hugo 2 and DAVE (I haven't had the TT2 here yet). However, for most headphones I've used, you don't get a true sense of depth reproduced anyway, so the difference in soundstage between digital filters (or no digital filter, ie: NOS) is not so apparent.

Maybe I summarised it too fast in the video, so it might have been easy to miss. DSD sounded flat and lacking in dynamics. High-res PCM sounded smoother than 44.1, and smoother than from the Yggdrasil or Hugo 2. I should probably switch to using the trick of saying the same thing three different ways in my videos so that nobody misses these things. :)

Thanks. Fair point on the sound stage in relation to headphones.

I did catch your point about DSD. I just wasn’t clear if that was in a particular mode or all modes. As I listen to high res files this is a big deal for me so wanted to triple check. I had been back and forth between this Holo with the mentioned USB bridge or the Yiggy.

Did the warmth of the Holo come at the expense of any micro detail loss? Or it still portrayed all detail well

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #2,010 of 4,063
I think it still portrays detail well, at least with PCM, but not as super-focussed as the other DACs I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back