Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Apr 6, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #1,967 of 4,063
Thank you Baten. Got intouch with Wildism, they will not sell to US customers and said to buy from a US distributor which I assume is only Kitsune.
Oh sorry, that is a pity... I bought shipped to Europe. The case was scuffed a tiny bit from travel but the overall experience was great. I was more inclined to order from China than from magna hifi..

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #1,970 of 4,063
Tim has sent over to me a Spring 2 KTE and Azure amp for review, which I've been listening with for the past couple of weeks.

Looks so great right :wink:

I find it funny how transparent Wildism is while for Kitsune KTE edition there are no internal pics...

I thought that the pictures on the Kitsune site showed the KTE version internals? The label on the transformer in the pictures show "Kitsune Tuned Edition".

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #1,971 of 4,063
Tim has sent over to me a Spring 2 KTE and Azure amp for review, which I've been listening with for the past couple of weeks.

I thought that the pictures on the Kitsune site showed the KTE version internals? The label on the transformer in the pictures show "Kitsune Tuned Edition".
So the level 3 is just level 2 with silver wiring/transformer..??? Or am i missing something..
KTE Spring-2:
1. 100VAC O-type Silver
2. All copper wire is replaced with 1.5mm pure occ silver wire
3. Hand Selected Dac module to have best measurements compared to averages.
4. All PCB plugs and wire plugs are removed and then wire is soldered direct to the PCB
5. Replaced IEC inlet connectors with pure silver/rhodium plated faston connectors at the IEC inlet
6. Fuse is upgraded with world class audio grade A.M. Ultimate SHD Beeswax fuse
7. Mundorf EVO Silver/Gold Oil caps (we have done extensive testing and these prove to provide the very best sound quality) <-- this is on all spring 2 level 2 as far as I know??
8. Special Kitsune Tuned Edition branding inside and out
9. KitsuneHiFi VIP service, english support and manuals/software

I mean I don't mean to shill for Wildism I really just went for them because of the pretty internal pics.
But this is their Level 3 Mod in detail. Wild Edition Extreme:
1.100va Pure Silver Transformer
2.Jensen Ceramic Tube Copper Foil Oil Cap
3.Xsymphony Pure Silver Litz Wiring
-Double Run IEC to AC board
-Single Run AC board to Main Board
4.take out all plastic plug
5.Audionote Kaisei Bipolar Cap
10000uf 25v x2
6. Ground Filter
7.Audionote Kaisei Bipolar Cap
2200uf 16v x4
8.Audionote Kaisei Bipolar Cap
10uf 16v x4
9.Audionote Kaisei Bipolar Cap
5uf 16v x4
10.Audionote Trans-280 Digital Isolation Transformer

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,972 of 4,063
It'd definitely be interesting to compare both mods. Of course, big, fat capacitors look impressive. Whether or not they improve anything depends on a number of factors.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,974 of 4,063
@Baten I have read your impressions on the other site, and now have been trying upsampling to dsd and I was like wow really a noticeable difference. My current hardware could only do up to 128x and was already impressed. Now just curious what is your source and its spec and what player are you using? I am planning to upgrade mine for a capable one up to dsd512. I currently have a HP Prodesk with Daphile(i5, 4gb ram) and could only do up to 128, switching to 256 it would already stutter. Tried with my MacBook Pro/HQ Player Trial and could only do 256. TIA.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #1,975 of 4,063
@Baten I have read your impressions on the other site, and now have been trying upsampling to dsd and I was like wow really a noticeable difference. My current hardware could only do up to 128x and was already impressed. Now just curious what is your source and its spec and what player are you using? I am planning to upgrade mine for a capable one up to dsd512. I currently have a HP Prodesk with Daphile(i5, 4gb ram) and could only do up to 128, switching to 256 it would already stutter. Tried with my MacBook Pro/HQ Player Trial and could only do 256. TIA.
Hiya, on computeraudiophile people build Intel Xeon based machines just for DSD512 (and up). My highly overclocked i7 7th gen could only do DSD256, DSD512 sometimes stuttered which isn't nice during listening.

While super upsampling sounds very polished, I'm a sucker for NOS so just stick to bitperfect rates of my music. But yes, I can understand the appeal but won't build a mega expensive computer for it :)

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,977 of 4,063
Hiya, on computeraudiophile people build Intel Xeon based machines just for DSD512 (and up). My highly overclocked i7 7th gen could only do DSD256, DSD512 sometimes stuttered which isn't nice during listening.

While super upsampling sounds very polished, I'm a sucker for NOS so just stick to bitperfect rates of my music. But yes, I can understand the appeal but won't build a mega expensive computer for it :)

Thanks for the info. I have added a singxer su-6/i2s onto my chain and again a huge step up, I now prefer it bit perfect with the singxer w/c has the perfect balance of sound for me. Things I observed with USB no upsampling to DSD is its kind of bright and harsh, upsampling to dsd as you said sound polished and to me kinda softens the sound. Only issue with the singxer is why are the channels reversed ?:frowning2:

Apr 21, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #1,978 of 4,063
There was a firmware update for the SU-1 that corrected that. Maybe the SU-6 will get one.

Apr 21, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #1,979 of 4,063
Thanks, I was able to fix the channels through the su-6's pin configuration. Turns out the su6 has additional pins(PIN 7-10) for channel configuration. For the Holo PIN 7,9,10 should be set to ON this is for the current firmware 2.21 of the su6.

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #1,980 of 4,063
Has anyone had trouble with certain sources and the coax input? Specifically I'm using the Holo Spring 2 and a Fiio DAP.

I tried to hook up a Fiio M11 today using the supplied 4-pole 3.5mm to RCA adapter and a 75 ohm coax cable and it wouldn't lock. I then connected the same setup to a Chord Hugo 2 (with an additional 2-pole 3.5mm to RCA adapter) and it worked fine. I'm not sure what's going on here - in my experience spdif pretty much just always works, but these two devices (Fiio and Holo Spring 2) do not seem to play well together.

The Spring also doesn't like the Fiio's USB out, via usb-c to usb-a adapter. Curious. I was really hoping to use the Fiio as a streamer but it seems like it might be a bust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back