Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Mar 30, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #1,126 of 4,063
It would be a sad world if we all agreed on everything. :)
Its not that the ZMF Omni isnt worth the asking price. IMO.
I own one (cherry)and think its glorious.
I'm much more inclined to believe its performance ( like any other bit of kit) is dictated by what else is in the chain.
And yes...I have heard both the Fostex and the Emu Teaks.

Back on topic, I'm hoping to hear a Holo Spring soon. Don't want one, just a listen.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,128 of 4,063
1. Spring level 1 & 2 (level 3 is only 2-3% better, but that may just be from the silver transformer which can add either more detail or brightness that can be perceived as having more detail). Level 1 and 2 sounds the same IMO. I found no difference with the Jensen capacitors.

2. NOS (you'll most likely always listen to this setting, i guarantee it)

3. Both default USB, but then ran with coaxial RCA. Spring showed more improvement from use of a DDC than the Ares. Not to say the Ares didn't improve with the use of the Singxer SU-1, but if I were to get the Ares, I'd just stick to the cheaper Singxer F-1. No point in using a DDC that's more than half the cost of the DAC itself. In that case I would just save for a Spring even if it meant I'd be using one without a DDC. The advantages with the higher priced unit is still worth it.

SETUPS I RECOMMEND
Performance: Denafrips Ares + Singxer F-1
High Performance: Holo Audio Spring + Singxer SU-1
Ultimate Performance: Holo Audio Spring + Uptone ISO Regen (or iFi iGalvanic 3.0) + Singxer SU-1

Cheers,
Tim

Your reviews and opinions are always appreciated!

With regards to using Holo Spring with UpTone Regen and Singxer SU-1, does it really matter using any of those two if the source is not a computer USB, but instead a high(er) end USB device / streamer, such as the Sonore microRendu I have? Current setup: Roon Core on a PC directly connected to router. Then microRendu connected via Ethernet to Router "pulling" music from Roon Core / Server (fully integrated with Tidal HIFi tier), high quality USB cable from mRendu to the Holo Spring (it is arriving today!).

In other words, would adding a Singxer SU-1 to the mix that already contains a microRendu improve anything?

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,129 of 4,063
I use both the mR/SU1 KTE myself.
I had the mR in my chain before adding the SU1 KTE and always preferred AoIP after using it with my PS Audio Perfectwave-ll/Bridge-ll. No drop outs, pos, clicking and a totally black background with consistently reliable SQ playback. I love it.

When I added the SU1 (to my surprise) the difference in SQ was taken to another level. I've yet to eliminate the mR (and now I'm not sure I'm even going to) to hear if there is a decrease in SQ without the mR in my chain. I'm leaning towards leaving my rig the way it is and just enjoying it, which is very much what I've been doing.

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #1,130 of 4,063
It would be a sad world if we all agreed on everything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Its not that the ZMF Omni isnt worth the asking price. IMO.
I own one (cherry)and think its glorious.
I'm much more inclined to believe its performance ( like any other bit of kit) is dictated by what else is in the chain.
And yes...I have heard both the Fostex and the Emu Teaks.

Back on topic, I'm hoping to hear a Holo Spring soon. Don't want one, just a listen.

​I wasn't impressed with the Omni at all when I heard it. The Eikon on the other hand, is the 2nd coming. Unbelievable.

I wasn't impressed with my Holo Audio Spring either when I 1st got it.

I'd recently bought the Dangerous Music Source to hold me off because of the 1 month wait for the Spring. The Source turned out to be the best DAC I'd ever had-Musical. Magical. Absolutely euphoric.

So when I got the Spring after paying almost triple what I did for the Source, I was disappointed. It sounded like anything else. The Source crushed it. I kept reading it needed burn in, so I waited 100 hours, nope. 200 hours went by, nope. At that point I was about to hit the trade forums. Then at about the 280 hour mark, it kicked in.......................................holography.

I still think the Source is more magical but the clarity is nothing like this. It's like you have the musicians right in front of you.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,131 of 4,063
Everyone can have their own opinion though. I doubt the guy works for the company as I've personally seen him on the Russian audiophile long before Denafrips was popularized.

Thanks. Ofcourse i doesn't work for Denafrips or someone else. I'm just a simple audiophile and I like music and good equipment much more than money. You may find me on Ebay (zero negative feedbacks since 2011). So, I'm the same guy like most people here. Yes, i live in Sochi (former 2014 winter Olympic city), Russian Federation and working in 'Gorky Gorod' all-season resort located inside the Olympic mountain cluster 'Krasnaya Polyana' (25 miles north from Black Sea coast, A138 road).  I'm photographer, you could see my photos, f.e. in this book:

Belgium 'red devil' football fans in 'Gorky Gorod' all-season resort before 'Russia-Belgium' friendly match (FIFA World Cup 2018 'Fisht' Arena, Sochi, Russia, 03.28.2017):

More my photos you can view here. Welcome!

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,132 of 4,063
Guys:

Any link to the user manual for the KTE-L3 edition of Holo Spring?

I could not find anything on their website.

thanks,

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #1,134 of 4,063
Arrived! Up and running.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #1,135 of 4,063
  Does anyone know if the USB 3.0 input means the HOLO is using full USB 3.0 specs?

While it has a blue USB jack, AFIK there is nothing USB 3.0 about it.  Just a very basic XMOS USB>I2S input.

Besides, I don't know of ANY DACs or operating system that support USB 3.0 Superspeed.  There just is no need for it. High speed USB 2.0 at 480Mbps is plenty for audio.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #1,137 of 4,063
  Southern California Head-Fiers!  Come to next weekend's CanJam SoCal in downtown LA to hear the Holo Spring in our high-end demo system with the best headphones from Audeze, Focal, Hifiman, MrSpeakers, and Stax!

I can confirm from personal experience that the GS-X MK2 + KTE Spring DAC is a stunning combination!

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,139 of 4,063
I have written a short review in Italian and English of the Holo Audio Spring level 1 RED at www.audio-linux.com
Direct link:
http://tophifi.it/html/holo.html

The review is focused on what I think it is the best method of upsampling the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back