Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 15, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #856 of 4,063
  A petition for a firmware upgrade:

Add an option to modify the information shown on the display, so that the Source been used is displayed, which I find much more useful than seeing just  the resolution.

I can see where that would make a lot of sense if you're using the Spring in a quasi-pre-amp role.  
wink.gif

I would vote for a simple indicator of what OS Mode is active.  If you want to confirm which OS Mode is active at any moment, you have to press the OS mode button 4x times to cycle through.  I just want to "look at it" and know that I'm NOS mode.  

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #857 of 4,063
  I can see where that would make a lot of sense if you're using the Spring in a quasi-pre-amp role.  
wink.gif

I would vote for a simple indicator of what OS Mode is active.  If you want to confirm which OS Mode is active at any moment, you have to press the OS mode button 4x times to cycle through.  I just want to "look at it" and know that I'm NOS mode.  

The display unit on it is rather simple, so it won't be able to do any complex displays. That said, if Holo can think of some way of indicating PCM or DSD with bitrate, source, and oversampling mode to be displayed, that would be fantastic.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #858 of 4,063

You mean like the Gustard 20X ?

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #859 of 4,063
You mean like the Gustard 20X ?

I have no experience with that system, so I don't know...

I assume you mean the Gustard X20? I just saw pics of that and that display has more capabilities than the one in the Spring. The Spring's display is closer to an LED 7-segment display but with very large dots making up the display components instead of 7 segments.

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #860 of 4,063

The display unit on it is rather simple, so it won't be able to do any complex displays. That said, if Holo can think of some way of indicating PCM or DSD with bitrate, source, and oversampling mode to be displayed, that would be fantastic.

The next dac, May will have indicator LED's for sampling rate etc.

but the Spring Display has had some complaining about the dimming function to not work for the firs 5-6 clicks... here's the kicker. It's working in fact, but our eyes are unable to see the brightness levels of the first 5-6 values... We are fixing this with a new firmware update and all new spring dacs will ship with this update. So the first click will start to dim the diplay where the human eye can detect this level.  

Anyhow, the display will get no other updates, or will never have support for input labeling. there simply isn't enough characters to do anything like this. So would be pointless. Yet we have future products coming I can't discuss on headfi, but will elsewhere. but the near future will be so very exciting!

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #861 of 4,063
wink.gif

Terry,

Set it to NOS and forget it :wink:

it has memory and stays in the last mode used.  Oddly i've maybe pressed the front panel buttons 6-7 times. and most of those times was to set the dimmer :wink:

otherwise, i'm on i2s and NOS.  DONE, 

our next dac will have a few more options, but really...the display isn't even needed on the spring. It's more elegant than anything. The saying "less is more" as the dac's whole design is really clean and simple in this regard. I'm sorry to say for some, they may find it too simple. But it's interface is functionable. We will take note for future designs. We already have a lot of the specs for the May dac.We are always open to hearing from our customers on what they want out of our next products.  We are listening to our customers!

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #863 of 4,063

The next dac, May will have indicator LED's for sampling rate etc.

but the Spring Display has had some complaining about the dimming function to not work for the firs 5-6 clicks... here's the kicker. It's working in fact, but our eyes are unable to see the brightness levels of the first 5-6 values... We are fixing this with a new firmware update and all new spring dacs will ship with this update. So the first click will start to dim the diplay where the human eye can detect this level.  

Anyhow, the display will get no other updates, or will never have support for input labeling. there simply isn't enough characters to do anything like this. So would be pointless. Yet we have future products coming I can't discuss on headfi, but will elsewhere. but the near future will be so very exciting!

(image missing)

OK, possibly no room for more characters. HOWEVER, it is possible to change the label codes to provide more information, as long as we don't exceed the maximum number of characters available in the display (six?):

For example; instead of "DSD256", it could be shown "COA256".
"64", "128", "256" and "512" can ONLY mean in this context DSD, so it's not necessary to show "DSD" characters as they are implicit (although many users .may like seeing "DSD" displayed)

Similar can be done for non-dsd formats. For example "192K" can be replaced with "COA192" (no need to show that "K" either), and "44.1K"  with "CO44.1". So the simpler solution is use less characters to display resolution info and use the extra available characters to put info about the source.

A simpler mod: change how one of the buttons operate, so that user can select whether to watch the Resolution of the sSource. For example, pressing "Display " and "Source" at same time will toggle between displaying the resolution and the source.

An even simpler (and less useful if used without the above mod): pressing "source" just once will cycle through all sources, BUT beginning with the same source already selected, so that if we press "source" just once, we can see what source is active at the moment without changing it. With current firmware, if we want to know what source is active, we have to cycle through all available sources.

For me not been able to easily know what source I'm using is a BIG usability design mistake/omission in a device with so few options. If that's not corrected in a  firmware upgrade... well that will tell me a lot about the brand. 

One question: where can I contact "Holo Audio" customer service directly? Is that even possible or do I have to post on forums for that?

I'm insisting on the "source info" issue now because I have a feeling that not many firmware updates will come out for the HOLO dac ("time will tell", as another brand says) so it's probably "now or never" for these (small) changes to happen.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #864 of 4,063
how does level 1 compare to gunjnir multibit or metrum musette? also is usb connection on holo really very uninspiring as reported earlier. lvl 1 would be my budget maxed out so it would have to be imac to usb cable to holo? i have to decide by monday advice is valuable. cheers mk

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #865 of 4,063
  how does level 1 compare to gunjnir multibit or metrum musette?

Send me a Gunjnir/Musette to evaluate and I'll let you know 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
  also is usb connection on holo really very uninspiring as reported earlier. lvl 1 

"uninspiring" would be an inaccurate characterization.  If you have a decent USB output you'll be ok.  Can you improve the performance with an AES or I[size=10.8333px]2[/size]S connection provided by a Singxer SU-1, in my experience - yes.  

Considering that the Level 1 spring has the same R2R "bones" as the level 2 and 3 you're getting "most" of the performance with approximately a $900 savings.  
If your only connection option (at this point in time) is a USB cable, the minute differences that the upgraded capacitors and power supply in the level 2/3 may be lost on you.

From personal experience, I can recommend the Level 1 Holo Spring.  It's a very good DAC. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #866 of 4,063
  how does level 1 compare to gunjnir multibit or metrum musette? also is usb connection on holo really very uninspiring as reported earlier. lvl 1 would be my budget maxed out so it would have to be imac to usb cable to holo? i have to decide by monday advice is valuable. cheers mk 

"Very uninspiring"?
Using my MBP w/JRiver I hear no SQ difference between i2s (w/SU-1) Toslink/USB (w/o SU1) input. Also, I hear no noise floor issues with USB and I'm not using anything in front of the Spring. I would put my entire rig on the line any day if you/anyone could tell me which input was feeding the Spring in a blind listening test. Using the SU1 (i2s) I do hear a slight difference in the musical presentation due to the SU1, though.

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #867 of 4,063
Then I guess you can save yourself some money.

I for one can hear a difference from each individual input. I2S being the best followed by AES/EBU, S/PDIF, and USB. However with a super short cable (im talking under 1-2ft) , AES/EBU vs S/PDIF is incredibly hard to spot a difference. Only when playing certain songs do I hear a slight tone difference or clarity edge improvement. Slightly as in barely. AES/EBU/SPDIF vs USB/ToSlink was easy to hear improvements though. It was like a veil was lifted. Vocals and instruments are imaged better. Sound stage isn't as fuzzy. Separation is clear between all sounds. There is a decent increase in depth, but maybe only because the stage is now less fuzzy by digital glare. Things begin to sound more life like. To me its the same improvements as I would get if I were switching from OS to NOS.

I've had level 1 & 2 and I could not tell for the life of me the improvements of the Jensen caps. Level 3 only brought out a bit more resolution but ever so slightly. I'm talking 2-3%. More percentages can be easily be had by using a DDC like the Singxer SU-1 (via I2S) and NOS. again, if you don't hear much of a difference, save yourself some money. Trust your ears. Even if all of my friends could hear a difference and pass blind test in flying colors, if I cannot hear a difference I have no need to keep it in my system. Use what have uses for you. Simple.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #868 of 4,063
Then I guess you can save yourself some money.

I for one can hear a difference from each individual input. I2S being the best followed by AES/EBU, S/PDIF, and USB. However with a super short cable (im talking under 1-2ft) , AES/EBU vs S/PDIF is incredibly hard to spot a difference. Only when playing certain songs do I hear a slight tone difference or clarity edge improvement. Slightly as in barely. AES/EBU/SPDIF vs USB/ToSlink was easy to hear improvements though. It was like a veil was lifted. Vocals and instruments are imaged better. Sound stage isn't as fuzzy. Separation is clear between all sounds. There is a decent increase in depth, but maybe only because the stage is now less fuzzy by digital glare. Things begin to sound more life like. To me its the same improvements as I would get if I were switching from OS to NOS.

I've had level 1 & 2 and I could not tell for the life of me the improvements of the Jensen caps. Level 3 only brought out a bit more resolution but ever so slightly. I'm talking 2-3%. More percentages can be easily be had by using a DDC like the Singxer SU-1 (via I2S) and NOS. again, if you don't hear much of a difference, save yourself some money. Trust your ears. Even if all of my friends could hear a difference and pass blind test in flying colors, if I cannot hear a difference I have no need to keep it in my system. Use what have uses for you. Simple.

I actually hear exactly all of the positives you've mentioned above when using USB directly to the Spring. 

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #870 of 4,063
Got my Level 3 this morning!  I will be setting it up in a few hours and will post my initial thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back