Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 11, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #826 of 4,063
With my setup (Lumin U1 to Singxer SU-1 to Spring), I observed the following when changing tracks involving the DSD format:

Programmed, clicks heard
DSD to DSD    No
PCM to DSD    No
DSD to PCM    Yes

Manual, clicks heard
DSD to DSD    Yes
PCM to DSD    No
DSD to PCM    Yes

Very odd indeed.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #827 of 4,063
  "Programmed, clicks heard"   "Manual, clicks heard"

As a kid, I rode the short bus to school.  So I don't understand what you mean by programmed and manual?  Since I'm not familiar with your Lumin, maybe you could explain that a little more.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #828 of 4,063
 Quote:
  With my setup (Lumin U1 to Singxer SU-1 to Spring), I observed the following when changing tracks involving the DSD format:

Very odd indeed.

Some DACs have split second delay when playing DSD to eliminate the pops or clicks. If I am not mistaken, this was explained in the Mojo thread.

I don't own any DSD files. I should have mentioned that this is happening in NOS/PCM mode when switching to/from different sample rates either with/without using a DDC in front of the Spring with a USB/Toslink connection.

I'm trying to eliminate the noise by adjusting the one or more of the options in the "Setting" menu in JRiver. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #830 of 4,063
Lumin DS plays tracks via an app on iPad. By programmed, I mean pre-selecting a no. of tracks and let them play in the order selected. Manual means I jump between tracks on the selected list.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #831 of 4,063
  I don't own any DSD files. I should have mentioned that this is happening in NOS/PCM mode when switching to/from different sample rates either with/without using a DDC in front of the Spring with a USB/Toslink connection.

I'm trying to eliminate the noise by adjusting the one or more of the options in the "Setting" menu in JRiver. 

Oh that's odd. I don't use Jriver so I do not know if it is in the settings of Jriver but with Foobar I don't get any pops o clicks when playing PCM in NOS mode. However, I rarely use PC/Foobar anymore, my Soundaware D100 Pro is my main transport which is superb in many ways.

I hope you can troubleshoot your pop issue. Good luck.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #832 of 4,063
  Oh that's odd. I don't use Jriver so I do not know if it is in the settings of Jriver but with Foobar I don't get any pops o clicks when playing PCM in NOS mode. However, I rarely use PC/Foobar anymore, my Soundaware D100 Pro is my main transport which is superb in many ways.

I hope you can troubleshoot your pop issue. Good luck.

Thank you.
I'm working on it.

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #833 of 4,063
Adjusting the setting in JRiver has gotten me no where.

So, using iTunes (Built-in Core Audio Output) I found there is no noise issues with the Spring changing between sample rates at all. But , it's also not bit perfect.

Introducing Bitperfect software to iTunes using the (Spring-xCore Audio Output) I have the same exact noise issue I have using JRivers software (Spring-core audio output). 

This isn't the end of the world, but I would rather not have this noise between changing sample rates, and again, it's occasional and very soft. One thing I will says that my Spring DAC has well over 500hrs and just continues to sound incredible. So much so, that for me, It has changed the entire musical presentation and the way I feel about the SQ of my 009/BHSE in a way I never could have imagined it would. So I am 100% satisfied with my purchase regardless.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #834 of 4,063

Programmed, clicks heard
DSD to DSD    No
PCM to DSD    No
DSD to PCM    Yes

Manual, clicks heard
DSD to DSD    Yes
PCM to DSD    No
DSD to PCM    Yes

Very odd indeed.

It SU-1 does. I and my friend as well, we both have Sigxer and both makes clicks.

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #836 of 4,063
  Adjusting the setting in JRiver has gotten me no where.

So, using iTunes (Built-in Core Audio Output) I found there is no noise issues with the Spring changing between sample rates at all. But , it's also not bit perfect.

Introducing Bitperfect software to iTunes using the (Spring-xCore Audio Output) I have the same exact noise issue I have using JRivers software (Spring-core audio output). 

This isn't the end of the world, but I would rather not have this noise between changing sample rates, and again, it's occasional and very soft. One thing I will says that my Spring DAC has well over 500hrs and just continues to sound incredible. So much so, that for me, It has changed the entire musical presentation and the way I feel about the SQ of my 009/BHSE in a way I never could have imagined it would. So I am 100% satisfied with my purchase regardless.

Cannot agree more with you in your last paragraph.

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #837 of 4,063
ive shortlisted holo audio level 1, gunj multibit and metrum musette to purchase early april. im leaning towards holo lvl 1 but im worried the 2.5v rms out from the spring dac maybe too much for my small earmaxpro tube amp. i was using a modi multibit before at 2v out. any advice here please. for eg is 2.5v too hot for my amp here or am i worrying about nothing as some cd players output 2.5v too. spec sheet for amp includes cd players as an ok source. is the spring dac overkill for tidal lossless 16//44.1 and tidal mqa up to 96khz? both pcm.

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #838 of 4,063
I've been listening to sample rates ranging between 44.1 to 352.8 for the past 3hrs and not once have I heard a single pop/click while changing sample rates after going nuts yesterday trying to tweak JRiver to correct this issue to no avail. 
blink.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #840 of 4,063
@musickid Holo dac does not support MQA

It doesn't matter in this case, it supports MQA just as well as the Musette and the Gungnir MB.  If he's playing through Tidal, the software can unfold.

As to your question, 2.5v should not be an issue, it will only affect your gain.  If you normally turn the volume up past 9 o'clock or so, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back