Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 6, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #799 of 4,063
Thanks Benny.

It may be slow now and it its pretty new. I haven't allowed it to be visible on google yet nor have I upgraded for better speed.

Regarding MHDT, I really lijed the stolckhom v2. That has been my recommendation for a NOS DAC under 1k. It beat the pulse xfinitity. The Holo was impressive to me. While I fibd it a little colored in the upper mids I think it soubds lively and organic. I'd buy one if I didn't have other priorities.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #800 of 4,063
Thanks Benny.

It may be slow now and it its pretty new. I haven't allowed it to be visible on google yet nor have I upgraded for better speed.

I went through the site, that was funny. I was thinking, wow, this is a real headphone site that actually declares winners and judges things vs. the usual "only write reviews for things I've liked" that you find everywhere else. It was refreshing, I'm a big fan of whoever's involved in that site in a lot of different aspects.

And the visuals are especially one of them. If it's all yours and you've got control over the pictures, really go to town with the gear pr0n in the reviews. It's already like eye candy. Those big, screen filling images with all the right lighting and angles, it's the best. The writing content is great to and it looks like you know how to splice them together, but more of those big, high quality gear pics is something I wouldn't be angry about. They're so engaging and enveloping. 

The flow is also really nice in the reviews, though some of them got a little long :p  Nice job, man!

As for DACs, I've only tried 1 NOS DAC and it's so long ago that I wouldn't be able to say. The MHDT ones have always gotten a lot of love, though. I'd like to see how something else in the price range matched up against my Pulse X Infinity. I'm not a fanboy of it or anything, but it's bee na decent DAC since I got it and certainly showed the bass bloat and lack of details/space in the PWD MkII.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #801 of 4,063
^To be fair, My 2.0 that I had was not in the new chassis. They claimed that they had all of the same components and just put them in the old chassis for me. But that was not the case. The new chassis has a better dac chip in it. 

I can't comment on that one. I will say that the MHDT had more hear through factor and the tonality was a little sweeter with better clarity. The Holo is a gorgeous piece of kit and it sounds like it looks. Bold smooth, and high quality. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #803 of 4,063
I was also considering adding a Freya to my Holo Spring/Rag combo...

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #804 of 4,063
I was also considering adding a Freya to my Holo Spring/Rag combo...

Did you have the Yggy before you got the Holo Spring?

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #806 of 4,063
Feb 7, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #807 of 4,063
Feb 8, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #808 of 4,063
Looking forward to your impressions.  I was thinking about the Freya for remote volume control and some added spunk.  I've had good experiences with preamps (Decware CSP2) and gain stage (Decware ZStage) into headphone amps in the past.

Quote:
I've got a Schiit Freya I'll be adding to the Holo 3, Rag stack. Hopefully the tubes can add some romance into the mix.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #810 of 4,063
  ^To be fair, My 2.0 that I had was not in the new chassis. They claimed that they had all of the same components and just put them in the old chassis for me. But that was not the case. The new chassis has a better dac chip in it. 

I can't comment on that one. I will say that the MHDT had more hear through factor and the tonality was a little sweeter with better clarity. The Holo is a gorgeous piece of kit and it sounds like it looks. Bold smooth, and high quality. 

gbeast, can you comment on the Pavane vs the MHDT Stockholm 2? General tonality, detail, etc. I'm wondering if the Pavane could be qualified as a brighter DAC than the MHDT NOS selections or the Holo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back