Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 22, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #886 of 4,063
  That's the thing about oversampling and delta-sigma switch DAC's. When you make the leap over to R2R Ladder you gain detail, clarity, sound stage, pronounced bass, realistic transients, instrument timbre, and decay. However that white noise that was once equipped to every aspect of sound is no longer there once you NOS it. There's no guessing, filters, switch noise, etc. What you end up with is something incredibly analog and reminds you of vinyl. Being able to go sharp but without fatigue. That's why NOS/R2R is so great. It's not just treble that can fatigue a person. When you switch over to the Spring you realize it's every sonic detail yet now it no longer feels force. It's so natural to the ears. It only gets better. I switched from the Spring to Pavane and gained a little more sweetness. 

Do give I2S a try. You'll bypass the receiver thus improving jitter and digital noise further.

Thank you for the reply. I am beginning to understand now what all the hype over R2R is all about.  I am exciting to try I2S and DSD.

I would like to hear your impressions between i2s (Singxer) and direct USB to the Spring.

I'm highly considering purchasing the Sonore microRendu/Uptone LPS-1 and going AoIP with JRiver because of course after I posted I had no noise issues with the USB connection, I started getting drop outs from time to time. I'm also going to revisit the SU1 as I feel I should have spent more time with it.

Does anyone here use JRiver>microRendu>SU1>Spring in their chain?

I dont have the exact configuration you are asking for but I did have an extended demo of the microrendu in my system:

Roon >HQP>microrendu (with LPS-1 power supply)>SU-1>DAC (Luxman)

The microrendu + LPS-1 was an immediate improvement over my low powered i3 powered pc acting as NAA for HQP.  I am not one for hyperbole when it comes to audio but the microrendu + LPS1 made the music sound so much more organic and involving.  I am sure the big improvement the microrendu gave had a lot to do with its better usb implementation than my el cheapo pc.  

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #887 of 4,063
  I would like to hear your impressions between i2s (Singxer) and direct USB to the Spring.

I'm highly considering purchasing the Sonore microRendu/Uptone LPS-1 and going AoIP with JRiver because of course after I posted I had no noise issues with the USB connection, I started getting drop outs from time to time. I'm also going to revisit the SU1 as I feel I should have spent more time with it.

Does anyone here use JRiver>microRendu>SU1>Spring in their chain?

I would totally use the microRendu if I knew how. I'm not knowledgeable on operating systems or apps on a SD. I'm guessing the point of it is low noise and simplicity compared to traditional computers however with a SU-1 the noise is already incredibly low. I'm sure there won't be too much of a difference if adding in a Sonore in between.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #888 of 4,063
  I would totally use the microRendu if I knew how. I'm not knowledgeable on operating systems or apps on a SD. I'm guessing the point of it is low noise and simplicity compared to traditional computers however with a SU-1 the noise is already incredibly low. I'm sure there won't be too much of a difference if adding in a Sonore in between.

I don't have any noise issues…I'm actually having 1 second drop outs at least 1 time every listening session over about 3hrs. When I used AoIP with my Perfectwave-ll I never had a drop outs, which is why I was considering going back to AoIP with the mR.

Also, as you mentioned, I was thinking using both the mR/SU1 would just make no sense?
The problem is, I can't remember if I had the drop out using the SU1 when I had it, but I probably didn't because I'm sure I would have mentioned it in a prior post.

I dont have the exact configuration you are asking for but I did have an extended demo of the microrendu in my system:

Roon >HQP>microrendu (with LPS-1 power supply)>SU-1-DAC (Luxman)

The microrendu + LPS-1 was an immediate improvement over my low powered i3 powered pc acting as NAA for HQP.  I am not one for hyperbole when it comes to audio but the microrendu + LPS1 made the music sound so much more organic and involving.  I am sure the big improvement the microrendu gave had a lot to do with its better usb implementation than my el cheapo pc.  

Have you ever taken the mR out of the chain and just used the SU1?
If so, was there a noticeable SQ difference without the mR?
Also, is there a company that loans the mR for in home demos I can contact?

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #889 of 4,063

Its pretty painless.  Connect the microrendu to your network, select which network player mode you want to use, make sure your software player sees the microrendu, press play!!  

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #890 of 4,063
The mR should still have benefits by using the SU-1. It's the galvanic isolation + clock that helps. Improved low noise for both units as compared to the more noisy computer + SU-1.

I use a gaming computer with 9 speed fans + SU-1 and compare it to a macbook pro + SU-1 and really can't tell the difference.

So the SD card holds the OS or the songs? The Ethernet cable plugs into the computers ethernet port for streaming?

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #891 of 4,063
  I don't have any noise issues…I'm actually having 1 second drop outs at least 1 time every listening session over about 3hrs. When I used AoIP with my Perfectwave-ll I never had a drop outs, which is why I was considering going back to AoIP with the mR.

Also, as you mentioned, I was thinking using both the mR/SU1 would just make no sense?
The problem is, I can't remember if I had the drop out using the SU1 when I had it, but I probably didn't because I'm sure I would have mentioned it in a prior post.

Have you ever taken the mR out of the chain and just used the SU1?
If so, was there a noticeable SQ difference without the mR?
Also, is there a company that loans the mR for in home demos I can contact?

The improvements I described in my previous post was using the microrendu before the SU-1.  There was a huge improvement over using my i3 PC into the SU-1.

There is no one I know that will loan out the microrendu.  I borrowed one from a friend.  

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #892 of 4,063
  The mR should still have benefits by using the SU-1. It's the galvanic isolation + clock that helps. Improved low noise for both units as compared to the more noisy computer + SU-1.

I use a gaming computer with 9 speed fans + SU-1 and compare it to a macbook pro + SU-1 and really can't tell the difference.

So the SD card holds the OS or the songs? The Ethernet cable plugs into the computers ethernet port for streaming?

The ethernet cable plugs into your router.

EDITED

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #893 of 4,063

The microrendu already has an OS on it.  You dont need to use the SD card for anything other than music.

The ethernet port of the microrendu would connect to your network (router/switch).  You can plug it directly in the pc that has the playback software but that will require networking skill and tweaking though it is doable.  There is a huge thread on CA talking about this direct connection.  I did it but its not for the faint of heart.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #894 of 4,063

The SD card is formatted for 5 different configurations.
In my case using JRiver I would choose #3 (DLNA) then connect an Ethernet cable from my router to the mR, then connect either another Ethernet cable from my router to my MBP or use Wi-Fi from my MBP.

Quote:
  The improvements I described in my previous post was using the microrendu before the SU-1.  There was a huge improvement over using my i3 PC into the SU-1.

There is no one I know that will loan out the microrendu.  I borrowed one from a friend.  

Thank you very much for you clarification and impressions.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #895 of 4,063
I've got a Level 3 Spring DAC incoming now for review (and Singxer a week or so later). Really curious to hear the R2R DAC...must say that Tim has been excellent to deal with and this DAC looks very promising!

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #896 of 4,063
  I've got a Level 3 Spring DAC incoming now for review (and Singxer a week or so later). Really curious to hear the R2R DAC...must say that Tim has been excellent to deal with and this DAC looks very promising!

Looking forward to reading your reviews!
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #898 of 4,063
  How does the Holo spring dac compared to the Gustard x20u/pro?

I haven't heard of anyone selling their Spring for a Gustard.

They are completely different types of DACS.  The Gustard is an oversampling delta/sigma DAc based on the Sabre 9028 chip.  
The Spring is "famous" for its NON-oversampling mode and uses an R2R architecture.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #899 of 4,063
  I haven't heard of anyone selling their Spring for a Gustard.

They are completely different types of DACS.  The Gustard is an oversampling delta/sigma DAc based on the Sabre 9028 chip.  
The Spring is "famous" for its NON-oversampling mode and uses an R2R architecture.

The main reason for me keeping the Holo Spring 3 over buying a Schiit Yggy is the NOS feature. Listening in NOS vs OS (even Schiit's perfect upsample), there's a character in the attack/decay that get's lost. The Holo 3 is a keeper -- even better if the imaging/spacing can increase as well as tone down the mids a hair. I would think the two are related..

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #900 of 4,063
How does the Holo spring dac compared to the Gustard x20u/pro?

The Spring makes the Gustard X-20 sound like a childrens toy. It will make it sound bright, unatural, bleached out, muddy, thin,and low on details. You'll actually hear a sound stage that's wide and have depth on the Spring. Imaging comes from the right spot and intrument timbre, decay, and separation sound true and organic. Vocals and high frequency sounds like cymbals no longer has this ring or grain to it that makes it sound as though it was recorded with a low level microphone. You'll begin to be able to differentiate center sounds seperating vocals from instruments that come in front, back, side, or corners of the singer.

It's a night and day difference. No contest. There's so much sound quality improvements when you switch over to a R2R ladder DAC and more so when it runs in NOS and rids itself of pesty oversample filters and FIR's. Doing so brings a vinyl like sound to it. I believe people get the wrong idea "vinyl". Saying something sounds vinyl simply means it sounds realistic.

I know you're contemplating but when you get it the first thing we'll see is your Gustard X-20 being listed for sale. I've had one before during the same period as my X-Sabre.

I hope to see the rise of more R2R Ladder/NOS DAC's. I loved the Spring a ton but moreso the Metrum Pavane now after recieving mine from a fellow Head-Fier. The Pavane goes further by improving its SNR (145dB vs 126dB of Spring). It's superior FPGA > R2R Ladder implementation generates better resolution and sense of space. I wouldn't recommend it for low budget as it's $5000 (Pavane) vs $1500 (Spring) for a meer 8-10% improvement. The Holo Audio Spring is without a doubt the best bang for the buck R2R LADDER/NOS on the market right now. Another brand rising up would be DENAFRIPS. Their SNR isn't as good and there aren't enough reviews to know how they dealt with the linearity problems. Trying to find documents on such has lead me to no success.

The Holo Audio Spring is my most recommended DAC of 2016 and 2017.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back