Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Feb 24, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #916 of 4,067
  I will eventually get the answer I am looking for rather than what is right/correct. Saying that I have Denafrips on it ways. Going to dip my toe in the R2R world. Not fussed at this stage if it NOS/OS. over time I will end up trying a NOS R2R dac once they become more affordable(relative)

Same here. No experience with R2R yet other than the hybrid multi-bit iDSD. I'm currently upsampling to 192kHz on my sound card with upgraded opamps and planned to order a Soekris next week but still haven't decided 100%.

EDIT: Would rather have the Holo Spring but price is a factor at the moment.

Didn't know about the Denafrips but researching it now.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #917 of 4,067
Hmmm.. Am I the only one here who likes NOS without oversampling? I have both J.River and HQPlayer but choose to listen stock 16/44.1kHz. The upsampling to 192kHz sounds smoother but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better to my ears. It doesn't let me depict things out as easily.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #918 of 4,067
I only started going to 192kHz (or higher) because it was less fatiguing. I agree that while it is smoother its also not as accurate sounding. That's been with mostly delta-sigma dacs though.

Hopefully, with an R2R dac, I can leave all the tweaks off and play at native rates including 16/44. Really like the Holo Spring's specs going from NOS all the way up to DSD512.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #919 of 4,067

Originally Posted by rudra /img/forum/go_quote.gif  

So much for NOS if one is up sampling in software.  In the wild west of the internet hard to separate fact from marketing.
popcorn.gif

It sure is but over time you usually get the right answer or the one you are looking for. [Emphasis added.] The internet is the greatest invention. I'm just watching and waiting the Holo is very new but it certainly has upped the stakes in DAC's and other Chinese are producing some interesting Dac's. In terms of pricing if they can get the sound much better its going to be devastating for US and European manufacturers.

Yes, indeed. You usually get one or the other. Sometimes even both! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #920 of 4,067
Whatever helps you confirm your beliefs haha.

@gr8soundz - thanks for that. I agree with you fully as I've used many delta sigma's in the past and the oversampling on the program does help to smooth out some digital glare and edges making making the entire spectrum not as fatiguing, however creates a blurred out sound stage and doesn't help for image rendering accuracy. Playing files natively fixes this but the sharp introduction of each instrument or timbre has too much going on. R2R on the otherhand does so in a revealing yet soft manner very akin to real life. There's no push, but a natural sound that's well distinctive yet overflowing with detail and resolution.

I know the whole idea of Holo Audio Spring is to perform NOS well, so well in which the hardware filters are removed and left up to the user on whether or not they want to do so on the program or operating system but each time I play a 16/44.1khz file in NOS and oversample it to ANY sample rate, it just doesn't sound as accurate and everything becomes fuzzy. It similar or equilvalent to a setup thats getting too much digital noise from the computer. Because everything sounds more smoothed out, I begin to perceive a wider sound stage, but once going back to the native file unsampled and listening back to back between the two, i realize the stage wasn't any smaller. I'm starting to think that to me the only gain of oversample in program is obtaining a less fatiguing sound by offering a more laid back presentation. That may be a good thing for some, for me, I like to depict sounds so it's not my cup of tea. As a audiophile, I listen to become engaged by the music. Sometimes we close our eyes to be immersed by music. Some prefer to take it head on while others prefer to be swept by it.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #921 of 4,067
  I will eventually get the answer I am looking for rather than what is right/correct. Saying that I have Denafrips on it ways. Going to dip my toe in the R2R world. Not fussed at this stage if it NOS/OS. over time I will end up trying a NOS R2R dac once they become more affordable(relative)

I too am dipping my toe into Dacs. I received my Denafrips Ares yesterday, and  in the short time I've had it up and running it's been incredibly good. My first ever external Dac.

Hopefully with a USB Regen, Curious Regen Link, and a Linear Power Supply Unit (all are on their way) my  Ares Dac will sound even better. 

ps: I have Cherry Omni/Ori's too. Love them. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #923 of 4,067
I have finally published my review of the Level 1 Spring DAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/holo-audio-spring-dac-level-1-base-model/reviews/18099 

I spent a lot of time on the review and I hope you find it an interesting read.  

Pardon me while I go find my flame retardant suit.  
biggrin.gif

With @Torq's review of the Level 3 and my review of the Level 1 - we just need someone to step up and write a review of the Level 2.  Personally, I think that will be the hardest review to write.  Everyone will want to know how it differs from the level 1 and level 3

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #925 of 4,067
for Europeans: I have just found out that the well respected Dutch retailer Magna Hifi sells the Holo, all 3 variants.
Skipping the tariffs and fees and taxes is a big deal. (they are really high&quite unpredictable in my country)
Now, if only they would start selling the Denafrips,  I find that even more appealing....

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #927 of 4,067
@T Bone thank you for the review.  Can you please let me know if you felt the Intona after the SU-1 made a worthwhile improvement?

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #928 of 4,067
 Hmmm.. Am I the only one here who likes NOS without oversampling? I have both J.River and HQPlayer but choose to listen stock 16/44.1kHz. The upsampling to 192kHz sounds smoother but that doesn't necessarily mean it's better to my ears. It doesn't let me depict things out as easily.

No, you are not alone. NOS in Holo makes me non-stop, always coming back for more. It's like vinyl being played with a moving coil cartridge with an absolutely clean stylus, perfectly in focus and with plenty of air for everything that comes out.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #929 of 4,067
  I have finally published my review of the Level 1 Spring DAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/holo-audio-spring-dac-level-1-base-model/reviews/18099 

I spent a lot of time on the review and I hope you find it an interesting read.  

Pardon me while I go find my flame retardant suit.  
biggrin.gif

With @Torq's review of the Level 3 and my review of the Level 1 - we just need someone to step up and write a review of the Level 2.  Personally, I think that will be the hardest review to write.  Everyone will want to know how it differs from the level 1 and level 3

Incredible and well thought out review.

Personally I've had level 1 and 2 and don't hear any comparable differences.
Have also heard a friend's level 3 in which I've only found to be a bit more transparent.
  No, you are not alone. NOS in Holo makes me non-stop, always coming back for more. It's like vinyl being played with a moving coil cartridge with an absolutely clean stylus, perfectly in focus and with plenty of air for everything that comes out.

Now I only listen to NOS and R2R Ladder DAC's. They are indeed first class. :)

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #930 of 4,067
  @T Bone thank you for the review.  Can you please let me know if you felt the Intona after the SU-1 made a worthwhile improvement?

I tried 4x different configurations:
  1. USB Only - no devices (the control group)
    sound is "meh".   Not happy
  2. USB via Intona only
    Bigger soundstage, more depth 
  3. I2S via SU-1 only
    Similar improvements in soundstage, significant improvement in treble response & roll off
  4. I2S via Intona + SU1 
    Very good combo - happiness

I published more details one Sunday afternoon in this post
The improvement that the combination of the two devices made wasn't as stark as the difference that each device made on its own.  It was noticeable though.
If I could only afford one device, I would choose the SU-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back