Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 22, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #586 of 4,063
My order of the Level 2 has been delayed till February.
frown.gif
  I might order the Level 1 instead although, I suspect, it's not available too. The Jensens caps are the bottleneck. I bet the Holo factory is overwhelmed by the demand and there will be a long delay no matter what level you order, Jensen caps or not.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #589 of 4,063
My order of the Level 2 has been delayed till February.:frowning2:  I suspect the L1 isn't available too. If it is, I might order the Level 1 instead although, I suspect, it's not available too. The Jensens caps are the bottleneck. I bet the Holo factory is overwhelmed by the demand and there will be a long delay no matter what level you order, Jensen caps or not.

My level 1 was delivered over a week ago and I ordered during their black Friday deal. Just haven't been home since. After I ordered it I kind of wish I would have spent the extra on the level 3. Technically it was more than I wanted to spend on a DAC but I usually don't regret spending too much on something, I regret not spending more.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #590 of 4,063
My level 1 was delivered over a week ago and I ordered during their black Friday deal. Just haven't been home since. After I ordered it I kind of wish I would have spent the extra on the level 3. Technically it was more than I wanted to spend on a DAC but I usually don't regret spending too much on something, I regret not spending more.

I ordered on Black Friday too. If I had gone for the L1 which was available at the time, I'd probably have mine too. L3 a bridge to far $$$ for me. Actually, my original cap for price was 1K. Besides I'm not convinced that the L3 would sound much better than a L2 with the other modifications, (input cap, fancy IEC, silver wire soldered to board) , which I could DIY for they are fairly simple to implement. Also the copper tranny is wrapped with high purity 6N copper.  

L2 was the sweet spot for me with the Black Friday prices. I couldn't buy the Jensens for the price difference between the L1 and L2 at the time.. I paid ~ $1500 for the L2. Problem would be possible invalidation of the 3 year warranty

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #592 of 4,063
Also, there haven't been any reviews comparing level 1 with 2 or 3?

I have extensive experience modifying gear. From what I see as parts between levels, any improvement would be totally room/system dependant. You would need to base the cost of upgrade with what you are dealing with already.

In my experience, unless you are really rebuilding a piece of gear. These add on's offer incremental performance boosts that are often overshadowed by systems that do not have the resoulution to exploit it or the room is not treated and these subtle effects are washed out.

I would say invest that $800 in room treatment... then once you have a neutral room, consider balanced power like an Equi=Tech. That is the solution for the majority of people looking for higher performance.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #594 of 4,063
Oh, does that smell like a free plug for EquiTech :wink:.

I have a 2QR Equi=Tech in my system, so do quite a few recording studios and professional well known artists. I made the suggestion because they are the originators of balanced power.

It doesn't matter to me what you buy. Furman makes one, Bridgeport Magnets used to make them, you could also use the type made for Hospital equipment.

The main point was balanced power works on the same principle as balanced cable. Common mode rejection. It's a proven concept that works. I chose them because I happen to think they are the best out there. Martin Glasband (founder/owner) even took the time to have the national electrical code updated to allow for balanced power to be used and approved. That's kind of a big deal..

Dec 26, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #595 of 4,063
I have a 2QR Equi=Tech in my system, so do quite a few recording studios and professional well known artists. I made the suggestion because they are the originators of balanced power.

It doesn't matter to me what you buy. Furman makes one, Bridgeport Magnets used to make them, you could also use the type made for Hospital equipment.

The main point was balanced power works on the same principle as balanced cable. Common mode rejection. It's a proven concept that works. I chose them because I happen to think they are the best out there. Martin Glasband (founder/owner) even took the time to have the national electrical code updated to allow for balanced power to be used and approved. That's kind of a big deal..

Agree with the positive impact of balanced power. And with a little patience and some knowledge of electronics one can source a used Topaz isolation transformer and rewire it for balanced power output, and do so for maybe a few hundred bucks. I have units that are 1.8, 2.4 and even 5kV. Cheers

PS - Don't jump into balanced power until you read up on what it is and what it means and how it is different. There are some potential risks, so be safe.

Dec 26, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #597 of 4,063
Here's an example of a Topaz unit that could be modified for balanced power. And at 2.5kV it's a big one!

Look at this on eBay
Topaz 91002-11 Ultra-Isolator Conditioner 2.5KVA 0.005pF Line Noise Suppressor

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #600 of 4,063
Not a very relevant recommendation on a headphone forum.

I was wondering the same thing when I read that. Even though I own a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's the necessary equipment needed and room treatments are just too costly for 2 channel audio. Good luck finding reasonablely priced tube amps to drive towers not to mention things like room treatment. Home theater for the speakers, headphones for the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back