Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 28, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #616 of 4,067
There are numerous dealers on taobao, all of which offer the base (level one) and the upgraded (rise ji) DACs. I'm not certain how the rise ji edition compares to the Kitsune Tuned editions for sale through Kitsune audio, but I think they're roughly equivalent to the earliest level 3 units.

Dealer authorization is a different process in China. Shenzhen audio is likely an authorized dealer there, but not in the U.S.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #617 of 4,067
Dealer authorization is a different process in China. Shenzhen audio is likely an authorized dealer there, but not in the U.S.

As far as I know, they're not authorized anywhere.

Feel free to have them come here and state, officially, otherwise.

Even if they are, it's pretty damn sleazy stealing artwork from other legitimately authorized dealers.  That's not the sort of company I'd want to do business with.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #618 of 4,067
Feel free to have them come here and state, officially, otherwise.

I don't know them, so if you want them to state something on record you'll need to be the one who reaches out.

I know that, when they were carrying the Holo, they were selling it for the same price the other Taobao dealers were. That implies to me that they were buying them at wholesale, which is what effectively constitutes a dealer relationship in China.

I agree that stealing artwork is sleazy, though it's very much par for the course with domestic Chinese sales. I bought my unit from Kitsune directly, as I would recommend to anyone looking here.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #619 of 4,067
I don't know them, so if you want them to state something on record you'll need to be the one who reaches out.

I don't really care what they do.

I know that, when they were carrying the Holo, they were selling it for the same price the other Taobao dealers were. That implies to me that they were buying them at wholesale, which is what effectively constitutes a dealer relationship in China.

That's just one way to get low pricing and by no means indicative of any official dealership authorization (which would be required for factory warranty work, per Holo Audio at least).  I could sell watches under retail here (US) and still pay more than foreign wholesale and still make a tidy profit.  Doesn't make me an AD.

I agree that stealing artwork is sleazy, though it's very much par for the course with domestic Chinese sales. 

Par for the course maybe, but if it's something someone condones they shouldn't be surprised if such sleaziness manifests itself in the event they need warranty service from said-sleazes.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #620 of 4,067
Going to stop commenting on this - if you (colloquial "you") want to buy from non-ADs for this sort of thing go for it.

Just don't be surprised if your "shipment" is perpetually delayed due to never having been through authorized channels in the first place.

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #621 of 4,067
Thanks to all for being concerned with my dealings with Shenzhen.
I did cancel my order and my money was refunded through PayPal immediately. No problem at all with the refund. They seem like an honest company but they were winging this a little bit.
redface.gif
I waited over a month only to be told that I'd have to wait another in the hope that I finally get my precious DAC.
eek.gif
 Since, I presume, they aren't an authorized dealer, I'd be at the end of the line for it. Not a good place. They did try to sell me this: https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/matrix-x-sabre-pro-es9038pro-32bit-768khz-dsd1024-audio-dac.html

Cosmetically, this DAC looks nice and it seems solid but I want R2R.

I think I'm going to wait awhile until the Holo Company catches up with demand before placing any more $$$ upfront.
Yes, it's a little hairy dealing with companies halfway around the world with upfront cash.

Thanks again.

Roy

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #622 of 4,067
  I think I'm going to wait awhile until the Holo Company catches up with demand before placing any more $$$ upfront.
Yes, it's a little hairy dealing with companies halfway around the world with upfront cash.

I would place the order ASAP through Holo USA so you don't have to be further down the line.
At least you know you're in the queue and will receive it along with a US warranty.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #623 of 4,067
I just snatched up the last Level 3 along with the SU-1. I have been looking at the Yggy for a while but its lack of DSD or to do anything higher than 192khz sample rates combine with the price kept me away. I know I paid slightly more for the Sring DAC but it had the features I wanted and worse case scenario is I sell it for a small loss if I don't like the sound. If the sound is as good as the reviews say then its time to part with other gear to cover the cost of today's wallet draining PayPal click.

Whew, I am nervous and excited at the same time.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #624 of 4,067
I just snatched up the last Level 3 along with the SU-1. I have been looking at the Yggy for a while but its lack of DSD or to do anything higher than 192khz sample rates combine with the price kept me away. I know I paid slightly more for the Sring DAC but it had the features I wanted and worse case scenario is I sell it for a small loss if I don't like the sound. If the sound is as good as the reviews say then its time to part with other gear to cover the cost of today's wallet draining PayPal click.

Congrats!  I've been looking at the Spring DAC since it came out.  I'm going to have to wait a little bit to get one unfortunately.

If the upgrade is anything like going from my Yulong DA8 II ESS9018 based DAC to my MHDT Lab Atlantis AD1862N-J R2R based DAC it is a very favorable step up.  I'm very happy with my Atlantis.  The only downside is it doesn't do native DSD.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #625 of 4,067

I'm also waiting on my Level 3 delivery. But I was lucky enough to audition it before placing my order. You have nothing to worry about. It really is as good as you've read.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #627 of 4,067
Thanks for the positive responses guys!

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #628 of 4,067

Congrats!  Actually, according to Tim I just bought the last one!  :)  I really wanted to wait until after xmas to get the Level 3 but I didnt want to lose out on the discount.

Like you, I was seriously considering the Yggy but its lack of DSD was what pushed me over the edge and get the Level 3.  I already purchased the SU-1 a few months ago so I am excited to try the HDMI interface. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #629 of 4,067
Congrats!  Actually, according to Tim I just bought the last one!  :)  I really wanted to wait until after xmas to get the Level 3 but I didnt want to lose out on the discount.

Like you, I was seriously considering the Yggy but its lack of DSD was what pushed me over the edge and get the Level 3.  I already purchased the SU-1 a few months ago so I am excited to try the HDMI interface. 

Yeah Tim just sent me an email. Apparently I sniped the one he originally added for you. My bad on that. I hope he can still offer me one at the current pricing.

Congrats on purchasing the last one at $2399. I concede the crown, lol.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #630 of 4,067
@oneguy, BTW I sent you a PM regarding the SU-1.

So does this mean you also got the lower price?  I hope so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back