Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 30, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #646 of 4,063

The biggest benefit of using a balanced I2S LVDS (HDMI) cable is that it is not very critical on length. For a single ended I2S cable the length is much more critical (the benefit of a very short cable trumps quality of the cable).

The “quality” of the I2S LVDS cable is of more SQ importance than the length IME. 

I have never heard of a single ended I2S cable.  Can you please list some examples?

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #647 of 4,063
  I have never heard of a single ended I2S cable.  Can you please list some examples?

There is no standard for I2S. Many use a regular HDMI cable for transmitting balanced I2S LVDS. For single ended I2S I have personally used some regular LAN cables (Cat 6 or 7) like AQ Vodka or WW starlight. As there are no standard for I2S, not all DACs or DDCs that can send or receive I2S will be compatible with RJ-45 connectors. Some companies have their oven made I2S cables and connectors.  

To note: a HDMI cable that is used to send I2S LVDS is not sending HDMI protocol. The same goes for single ending I2S transmitting over a LAN cable, it is not Ethernet just using the Ethernet cable to transmit I2S signals. 

http://www.audioquest.com/ethernet/vodka 

http://www.supracables.co.uk/ethernetcables/cat-cable.html

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #648 of 4,063
I just snatched up the last Level 3 along with the SU-1. I have been looking at the Yggy for a while but its lack of DSD or to do anything higher than 192khz sample rates combine with the price kept me away. I know I paid slightly more for the Sring DAC but it had the features I wanted and worse case scenario is I sell it for a small loss if I don't like the sound. If the sound is as good as the reviews say then its time to part with other gear to cover the cost of today's wallet draining PayPal click.

Whew, I am nervous and excited at the same time.

So you finally pulled the trigger on it, eh? Congrats, man! Due to the similarities in our systems, I'm super looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the whole thing.

Merry Christmas!

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #649 of 4,063
So you finally pulled the trigger on it, eh? Congrats, man! Due to the similarities in our systems, I'm super looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the whole thing.

Merry Christmas!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #650 of 4,063
The standard driver for the SU-1 will not play native DSD only DoP. I will send you PM.

Would you or somebody in the know please do me a big favor and explain this to me? I've been getting what I thought to be native DSD signal from my SU-1 with its' XMOS driver, and my DAC even displays the specific DSD formats being received - but now to discover it wasn't really bit perfect or something? Feel free to post here or by PM. Thanks!

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #651 of 4,063
  Would you or somebody in the know please do me a big favor and explain this to me? I've been getting what I thought to be native DSD signal from my SU-1 with its' XMOS driver, and my DAC even displays the specific DSD formats being received - but now to discover it wasn't really bit perfect or something? Feel free to post here or by PM. Thanks!

PM sent.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #652 of 4,063
While I wait for my Level 3 to be delivered I am already thinking of what mods I could do to it. One area I'm really interested in is the power supply. In particular I am wondering if it's possible to supply DC power directly to the Spring? Has anyone opened up their Spring to see how easy it would be to bypass the AC supply? What DC voltage is needed?

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #653 of 4,063
While I wait for my Level 3 to be delivered I am already thinking of what mods I could do to it. One area I'm really interested in is the power supply. In particular I am wondering if it's possible to supply DC power directly to the Spring? Has anyone opened up their Spring to see how easy it would be to bypass the AC supply? What DC voltage is needed?

Wouldn't that defeat the entire purpose of buying a Level 3 unit in the first place?

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #654 of 4,063
Quote:

Which means you have to swap the whole PSU and build yourself. If that's what you want.

edit: should be build it yourself.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #655 of 4,063
Wouldn't that defeat the entire purpose of buying a Level 3 unit in the first place?

Well I don't know that is why I am asking. Everything is designed to a price point so I am not sure if there is opportunity to improve things with a high quality linear power supply or battery source.

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #656 of 4,063
Well I don't know that is why I am asking. Everything is designed to a price point so I am not sure if there is opportunity to improve things with a high quality linear power supply or battery source.

The principle difference between the Level 1 and the Level 3 IS the power-supply. If you remove/replace/bypass it then you might as well have bought the Level 1 and saved yourself $700. Did you not look at the difference before you bought it?

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #657 of 4,063
Exactly, no point to do it with level 3. Much better was to buy Level 1 and replace components with even better/ higher quality ones for much less :)

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #658 of 4,063
The principle difference between the Level 1 and the Level 3 IS the power-supply. If you remove/replace/bypass it then you might as well have bought the Level 1 and saved yourself $700. Did you not look at the difference before you bought it?

Sure I looked. I am just curious and like to mod things. Not knowing for sure if bypassing the power supply would yield better results is the reason why I bought the Level3.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #660 of 4,063
  So you are not even sure why you bought Level 3 :D

I am not sure if the improved power supplyof the Level 3 is better than the Level 1 with my own DC power supply.  I am not even sure if it is easy to power the Spring directly with DC.  That's why I am asking.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back