Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Dec 19, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #571 of 4,063

Holo specs have not been independently confirmed as far as I know. If you believe the manufacturer (I never do) the noise floor is below -125dB which is fine and indicates resolution in bits is limited below 21bits.  Anyone got an oscilloscope and a Holo?

You realize that 125 dB down on a 5 VRMS signal is 4 µV PEAK, right?  Good luck seeing that on an oscilloscope.  Even the $17,000 Lecroy High Resolution Oscilloscope is only 12 bit...

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #575 of 4,063
Hi everyone, in my headset system, I do have a Spring Kitsune edition fed by a microRendu through USB input.
I'm wondering is there would be any listenable benefit to have the Spring used with the I2S input, rather than the USB one, since I understood from my readings that Spring was "optimized" for I2S input format.
However, I've also understood that the microrendu is one of the cleanest USB device. I would be very interested to hear feedbacks/comparisons between microrendu>Spring(USB) and microrendu>Singxer SU-1>Spring(I2S).

Thanks in advanvce :)

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #576 of 4,063
   I would be very interested to hear feedbacks/comparisons between microrendu>Spring(USB) and microrendu>Singxer SU-1>Spring(I2S).

Thanks in advanvce :)

Would be interesting to hear feedback.  I'd think the I2S would be superior.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #578 of 4,063
Did you read Ted Brady's review of the Spring on the CA forum?  That article has comparisons between these two options, IIRC.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #580 of 4,063
Hello, yes I've seen this review that actually made me interested in I2S input. But I'm looking for some more technical comparisons

This was touched in Torq's review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/holo-audio-spring-dac-level-3-kitsune-tuned-edition/reviews/17337

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #581 of 4,063
Approaching 2 weeks of burn-in with the Spring and this DAC continues to amaze me.  Plenty of resolution and microdynamics.  Sounds that were faint with other DACs are clear and prominent (in a good way).  I do wonder why they allow us to eat food in a small jazz club and then go on to record the session :)  Vocal clarity is stunning.  It is hard for me to decipher all that is specific to the DAC because it is a partnership with headphones and amps, but I do feel the DAC is processing music with excellent fidelity and tonality.  With complex passages the DAC gives me everything laid out in a way that I can easily interpret and pick out the various instruments.  There was talk of bit depth or resolution a while ago.  I am definitely not one to measure bits, but if I understand bit depth as analogous to say color depth, then even though I might not be good at measuring resolution we can spot it easily whether visually in photos or hear it in reproduced music.  The Spring is putting forth music that sounds full and natural to me.  The decay that I hear is excellent.  When I first got into this hobby everything excited me.  My first real DAC was the PS Audio Digital Link.  That was exciting.  Since then I've had some "good" DACs, but I got more excited about headphones and amps.  Now I'm excited about DACs again.  Don't think I can afford to get more excited so this is it for a while with a tweak here and there.           

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #582 of 4,063
I've finally hooked up my Spring DAC lvl3 last night to the main rig. +1 on the microdynamics and detail retrieval. The attack and decay is on point when operated in NOS mod, as with most NOS dacs. The jury is still out if the level of mid/high and highs details and presentation being pushed forward is natural to me but the DAC only now has about 100hrs of playing time, but 200-300hrs of on time. When I mean by being pushed forward, it sounds as if the crash of cymbals are forward where most of the time it's a bit back in the presentation (as it should on a live performace). I'll wait it out a bit longer with music piping through to make that conclusion.

Modified Breeze Audio DDC (femto, silver cables, bnc plug change, etc), Spring Dac lvl3, AudioGD SA31-SE, Sony MDR-Z1R

Can someone point me to a RJ45 to HDMI i2s cable source?

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #583 of 4,063
Just received mine, and after opening the box to make sure it wasn't damaged in transport I sealed it back up and gave it to my wife. Have to give her something to put under the tree or else I get in big trouble! Cheers 

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #585 of 4,063
^^^ Wow! Super human levels of self control!

She is starting the burn-in process for you, isn't she? (have her give me a call if she needs help).

Ha! Yeah, it's actually one of the reasons I was glad there was a while between ordering and delivery as it put the DAC arriving only a few days before Xmas - thus making the self control a bit easier. 

And after 20 years of marriage I think we're both well burned-in. Cheers and happy holidays

Users who are viewing this thread

• PrTv
Back