Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
May 14, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #1,231 of 4,063
Cheers, this upgrade will definitely be on the cards. I just spent $400 on Jupiter copper foil caps for my tube amp. Jeez this hobby never stops.

May 14, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #1,232 of 4,063
@elan120 would it a better option to upgrade the Su-1 with this - https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxer-su-1-dc-power-conversion-kit-kitsunehifi-2-1mmx5-5mm/

and use a LPS-1 to power it?

I did the Uptone LPS-1 upgrade route as the first step, although I didn't purchase this conversion kit, but did the conversion myself so I can use better suited internal cable as well as my choice of DC connector. This conversion certainly can save time and effort if you are not equipped to make up your own conversion kit - mainly the back plate that holds the DC connector.

Other than the LPS-1 upgrade, as mentioned earlier, highly recommend replacing the 3.3V voltage regulator (LD1086) and the 5 large electrolytic caps to much lower noise voltage regulator and much lower ESR capacitors so you can remove the bottleneck after the LPS-1 upgrade, and this is due to most of the parts on the reclocking side of the SU-1 (after the ISO7641FM digital isolators) run on 3.3V from the LD1086 voltage regulator that has relatively high output noise at 100uV. Replacing this regulator to lower output noise regulators such Belleson, Sparkos, or my new favorite LT3045, will bring the output noise down to 3~4uV with Belleson and Sparkos, 0.8uV with LT3045, so the final signal output will be less affected by both noise and ultimately jitter. To make the digital circuitry work better, low ESR capacitors (I am using Organic Polymer Capacitors like Nichicon R7) will provide quicker charge/discharge, lower output ripple, stability for power control loops, which will work better than the stock electrolytic caps as well as other "audio grade" electrolytic caps such as Nichicon KZ, FG (Fine Gold), KA...etc.

You can do all these in different phases by changing the power input to LPS-1 as the first step, which you should be able to detect a good degree of improvement, and then upgrade the rest as second phase to get further improvement.

My $0.02...

May 14, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #1,234 of 4,063
May 15, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #1,235 of 4,063
What's the best way to get a hold of Bimmer? I contacted him via his Kitsune website a week or three ago with a question about my Holo Spring Dac and never got a response.
I have no emails from you and sorry if I missed it. Please contact me via our website for service. Thank you for reaching out on here, I will help you via our website contact form. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #1,237 of 4,063
Sure no problem. To clarify I did fill out the form on the website but will try again. Maybe it didn't send/complete. Thanks!
Please refer to your headfi name when you contact me So I know that i've been able to successfully reach you and reply to your questions. Thank you!

-Tim

May 16, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #1,238 of 4,063
Ok so just received the Holo Spring DAC. I ordered the Level 3 but mine doesn't have the circuit layout Printout on top of it. Should I be calling Houston or everything's good?

May 16, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #1,239 of 4,063
First impression always count, and this DAC does not disappoint. I am honestly hearing more details. Super black background. Guitars sound amazing. Bass has a little more thump to it. Vocals are more clearer. And this is with USB fed directly to the DAC in NOS mode. Still waiting for the Apollo i2s cable so I can add the SU-1 to the chain. I was using a Metrum Musette previously.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #1,240 of 4,063
First impression always count, and this DAC does not disappoint. I am honestly hearing more details. Super black background. Guitars sound amazing. Bass has a little more thump to it. Vocals are more clearer. And this is with USB fed directly to the DAC in NOS mode. Still waiting for the Apollo i2s cable so I can add the SU-1 to the chain. I was using a Metrum Musette previously.

That's interesting. I haven't heard this DAC, yet the last ting I subjectively can say about R2R (be it Soekris based or TotalDAC) is that in terms of depth something's off.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
May 16, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #1,241 of 4,063
It might be the case that my previous DAC - Metrum Musette was completely lacking depth in comparison. Overall they both might be lacking depth compared to a Yggy for example. I am gonna test this further later on once it's fully burned in.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #1,242 of 4,063
Ok so just received the Holo Spring DAC. I ordered the Level 3 but mine doesn't have the circuit layout Printout on top of it. Should I be calling Houston or everything's good?
Neither does mine, which I got 1 month ago. I definitely paid for the KTE 3.... It sounds very good after two weeks of continuous burn-in on my headphone chain, but I've not done yet the final test of comparing it side by side with the Yggy on my speaker system.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #1,243 of 4,063

That's an extra adder...looks quite sexy IMO.

May 17, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #1,244 of 4,063
Waiting For my KTE Dac & KTE SU-1 To arrive, In the meantime Tim sent me some of my other Items I ordered, for a small taste...LOL...Some Power cords - KTE USB - Intona isolator - XLR Cables...... Great Guy to deal with so far..Fast deliver time - Nice Packaging and Presentation...Can't wait for the other Items.!!!

May 23, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #1,245 of 4,063
Waiting For my KTE Dac & KTE SU-1 To arrive, In the meantime Tim sent me some of my other Items I ordered, for a small taste...LOL...Some Power cords - KTE USB - Intona isolator - XLR Cables...... Great Guy to deal with so far..Fast deliver time - Nice Packaging and Presentation...Can't wait for the other Items.!!!

Have you received them yet?

In case anyone is interested, my KTE L3 Spring DAC (with the KTE SU-1) review is now up on our site. :) In short, I found this combination a tour de force! Simply one incredibly transparent and clean DAC that gives you up to DSD512 (or 256 for Mac). Never "digital" sounding, nor slow. It splits the uprights dead and centre in this regard and beats many DACs costing 2-3X more (if not even higher).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back