Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
May 4, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,216 of 4,063
Microsoft finally has a build of Win10 that includes Native Class 2 USB Audio support - i.e. "kernel level" support for USB audio devices. That means you can skip the device driver.
Computer Audiophile has a nice write up on it HERE.

I installed the Windows "Creators Update". (took 40 minutes!) and have begun experimenting with it.
In the image below, you can see the new output format is labeled "Kernel Streaming".
Here's some of the higher bit-rate formats that I've been able to play so far:
  • 24/192Khz PCM
  • 24/384Khz PCM
  • DSD64 @ 2.82Mhz
  • DSD128 @ 5.64Mhz "Double Rate"
  • DSD256 @ 11.2Mhz "Quad Rate"
Note that "native" DSD playback; a key feature of the Spring DAC; is only available when using the Holo drivers.
USB Audio Class 2 streams DSD in the familiar "DSD over PCM" (DoP).

USB%20Audio%202.0_zpsodt3unfg.png

May 12, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,218 of 4,063
Just purchased KTE L3 with the KTE SU-1 last night, Also going to try the Intona Industrial and some of Tim's power cords and Interconnects, very excited...
Congratulations on your new DAC. I know you are going to enjoy it!
I had an Intona USB isolator in my system and it made a significant difference. I recently sold it to make way for Uptone Audio's new "ISO Regen". You might want to hold off on the Intona and see how the new ISO Regen fairs in comparison. I suspect (hope) it outperforms the highly regarded Intona.

What kind of input will you be feeding your new DAC? USB, AES or I2S?
Many Spring owners have their DAC's paired with a Singxer SU-1, it makes a significant difference!

May 12, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #1,219 of 4,063
Congratulations on your new DAC. I know you are going to enjoy it!
I had an Intona USB isolator in my system and it made a significant difference. I recently sold it to make way for Uptone Audio's new "ISO Regen". You might want to hold off on the Intona and see how the new ISO Regen fairs in comparison. I suspect (hope) it outperforms the highly regarded Intona.

What kind of input will you be feeding your new DAC? USB, AES or I2S?
Many Spring owners have their DAC's paired with a Singxer SU-1, it makes a significant difference!
I2S on the input, I'm just going to Demo the intona for a bit, any advantage to adding the ISO Regen also to the chain with the Intona? I notice some people have both, I know each piece does some things differently

May 12, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #1,220 of 4,063
I2S on the input, I'm just going to Demo the intona for a bit, any advantage to adding the ISO Regen also to the chain with the Intona? I notice some people have both, I know each piece does some things differently
microRendu+LPS-1>USB>SU-1>I2S>Spring KTE 3 is very, very good, I doubt there's much I could do to the digital signal path to make it audibly better.

May 12, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #1,221 of 4,063
Just purchased KTE L3 with the KTE SU-1 last night, Also going to try the Intona Industrial and some of Tim's power cords and Interconnects, very excited...

Congrats! You will love this combination! Listening to my KTE L3 + KTE SU-1 and I am still enthralled with what I'm hearing through the LCD-4s!

FWIW, my review will be out next Wednesday.

May 13, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #1,223 of 4,063

No benefits in having both. They both do the same job but ISO REGEN will do far better. For the money, it's best purchasing the UpTone device and eliminating the need for second USB cable by utilizing the "USPCB" that it comes with.

Most of us Holo Audio Spring users have the Singxer SU-1 alongside to output I2S and have either done the internal regulator modification or converted it to be powered by the UpTone LPS-1 and have gained significant results.

Σ₪ergψ

May 13, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #1,226 of 4,063
I just sent Bimmer100 a message asking about upgrading my Su-1.

Make sure to ask having the 3.3V voltage regulator (LD1086) replaced on the main board as well. This regulator is feeding all but one component on the main board, which will become the bottleneck if not replaced. Meanwhile, pending on the regulator used in place of the stock 3.3V regulator, either replace all 5 electrolytic caps on the main board to low ESR caps (5~7mohm), or 3 with low ESR and the remaining 2 near the 3.3V regulator with higher ESR caps (50~70mohm) - consult regulator spec sheet requirements.

The most effective route so far has been upgrade the main power using Uptone LPS-1 plus the components above.

Hope this helps.

May 13, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,228 of 4,063
Looking forward to your Review!!! Do you use a Intona Industrial or ISO Regen in your chain?

Thanks...it'll be out on our website on Wednesday next week. I'm not using the Intona or ISO (USB Audioquest Coffee --> KTE SU-1 --> KTE L3 Spring DAC is the setup I used).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back